SoFlo Rear Bumper Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pintle Holes - Part Two

The fact that they don't line up is a moot point. You couldn't use them even if you wanted to. The SoFlo bumper doesn't actually rest ON the cross member. If you take a look at the pictures above, you can see that there's roughly an inch of dead space between the rear cross member and the bumper itself. There's really no reason to even have those holes there, which is a bummer because I was hoping to attach a pintle recovery point. That's the only reason the tow hitch is still on there.
Can you access the gap at all through the diamond plate and install some spacers to take up that gap for bolting?

Can you access the gap at all through the diamond plate and install some spacers to take up that gap for bolting?

I don't think so, but I'll take a look today and see if I can post pictures. I think you'd have to measure the space and install a spacer before you put the bumper on. I was kinda thinking about just cutting the bumper and installing a hitch right to the crossmember, kinda like on the back of a Montero.

Did you ever speak to the seller? Any resolve? I am torn. Buy one of these or buy a kit and have someone weld it. Moral of the story: I can't weld.

Seeing this makes me really happy that I dropped the extra cash on the Slee rear bumper even though it felt a little painful at the time.

Hmmmm....still debating this for my 80

Can't agree more. I'm still a holdout on this mod for the same reason!

I haven't talked to the seller since our initial conversation a couple weeks ago. I just started a new job and I haven't had time to fool with it. That being said, I'm going to get in touch with him and get him to send me that spindle hardware.

For anyone on the fence, my initial impression still holds. It's not a perfect bumper, but if you look at it like a decent starting point and expect to do a little trimming/fitting/customizing I don't think you'll be disappointed. I can't stress this enough - if you're comparing this bumper to one of the really high quality offerings from Slee, ARB, BIO, etc you WILL be disappointed, but if you're comparing it to not having a dual swing-out bumper and money is a more of a factor than bragging rights I think you'll be satisfied.

I don't intend to do any rock crawling or serious offroading. I'm building a rig to do some adventure camping with my family. I wanted more gas and to get the spare out from under the truck (so it was easier to access and to give me the option to carry a second spare). For me, my needs were met after modifying the gas can swing-out to carry three cans.

If you want major protection and pretty welds, don't buy this bumper. Simple as that.

i bought his rear bumper on my 100 series about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier! mine was discounted as the mounting bracket on the bumper wasn't the right one. no biggie for me as I had planned to have mine weld mine on. I bought my LX for $5900 and even though I have far more then that into it I can never bring myself to buy any 1 part that costs more than 50% of what I paid for the car. mine had all the hardware and the only thing that I didn't use was the supplied led turn signal/ brake lights ( bought some for $18 on ebay ) but other then that it was exactly what I was expecting.. seller is very up front about everything that the bumper is and for the money there Is no better buy on the 100 series. the only downside I can see is that he lives in Florida and shipping to California is pricey but I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of his products from him as they are good products at a great buy and a seller who loves the cruisers ..btw I don't have any issues with it not lining up along the rear of my car, I also removed the diamond plate entirely as I thought it was ugly. great bumper @ a great price....if anyone in socal wants to order together to save on some shipping let me know, I want his roof rack next

bumper 3.jpg
bumper 4.jpg
bumper 5.png

Well ... Very grateful for this review and in-depth too. TX!

My dad retired welding for the naval shipyard on subs and one thing our family knows is what an idiot's welds look like. Those make me wanna puke...
A good human welder is virtually indistinguishable from a robot's symmetrical beading, i watched my dad do this in his sleep for years. A robot is just cheaper .
I believe the appropriate term for the creator of this bumper should be pyro not welder. You will find ten guys that'll tell you it'll hold tho , but thats just proof there are way too many hacks hocking wares out there.

Great review --

Well my dad was a finance guy one thing we know is how not to waste money...expecting the $1000 bumper to the same quality as the $3000 bumper would be like comparing a Landcruiser and a RAV4.. when something costs 33% of the price of the competition the quality obviously won't be the same ... but for my 2000 in savings I know without a doubt that this bumper isn't 33% of the others out there. Still a great buy

Well my dad was a finance guy one thing we know is how not to waste money...expecting the $1000 bumper to the same quality as the $3000 bumper would be like comparing a Landcruiser and a RAV4.. when something costs 33% of the price of the competition the quality obviously won't be the same ... but for my 2000 in savings I know without a doubt that this bumper isn't 33% of the others out there. Still a great buy

You are correct it does not equate to 33 percent. At least not this displayed model.
I have always been taught "buy once cry once" and that seems to be the only financial advice i have ever needed.

That being said i do understand products to be either crap ,middle -grade, or prime and i concede that if the product is not that important to health or safety i will buy middle grade. I class a rear bumper as important FWIW.

You buy cheap you buy twice.

Guess I'm not as discriminating as some, probably don't have $400 in my rear bumper. So will have to buy twice, or is it something like, kinda cheap has to buy twice, really cheap has to buy three times to make amends for their thrifty ways?

I have since sold my 80 Series, but I have some thoughts to add to the continuing conversation here. If I'd made this bumper myself, after taking some fabricating classes or something, I feel like this community would be championing my accomplishment. The comments would be more like "Those welds aren't great, but good on ya for trying! and "The fitment isn't perfect, but it's pretty darn good for a first time!"

Nope, cheap people have to learn the hard way.

Yep, lets see, it's been on the rig for over a decade, been drug over, and/or smashed tons of rock, and still does the job. As a bonus it causes arrogant folks like yourself to look down on it! On the other hand, the front bumper is a top name brand, paid up for it and has been the biggest disappointment of any purchase for the rig. Have been hung up, denied on obstacles, is bent, etc, by that POS. So yes, hard lesson learned!

Hi,

I put an Iron Pig rear on my 80, and it did NOT have any sort of lubrication on the swingout. It did seize up, I was able to fix it, and throwing up a loose recommendation to consider for yours :

Drill a hole into the spindle, install a zirk fitting, Lubricate well with Marine Grease !!!!

Has worked flawlessly for 5 years now.

Thanks,

I went out on a limb and I bought the current (March 2017) version of the SoFlo Rear bumper for my 80 Series. You can find them on Facebook and check out what they offer besides the rear bumper I'm going to review in this thread. There's also a discussion thread about the SoFlo bumper here on Mud that you can check out.
Background:

I was looking for a way to get my spare tire out from under my truck, and maybe provide a little protection and possibly a place to mount some future accessories. I'm on a budget build and while I wish I could afford the best of the best with honors, compromises have to be made. I live in an apartment and commute across the country to work (which is normal in my profession) so while I took welding almost 20 years ago in high school, I couldn't put together my own bumper if I wanted to. I don't have the time, skills, or the space.

The 4x4 Labs bumper is really sweet, but like I said I don't have any way to construct it. I also didn't want to cut my frame. I wanted the option of removing the bumper if I wanted to do so. I found a used ARB on here in the classified section for a price I was willing to pay, but shipping put it out of reach. I found a Kaymar tire only swing-out add-on for a price I was willing to pay, but it sold before I could nab it. I love the Costa Fabrication front bumper but I just don't dig the rear. I can't put my finger on it, but it's not for me. Plus cost and cutting.

I had seen this SoFlo bumper advertised on eBay and the above linked thread on here, but the first generation was really ugly. Form can follow function - to a point ;)

The latest generation looked much better and after picking up a little OT at work, I decided I'd seriously consider it. I got in touch with SoFlo Bumpers on Facebook and got a near immediate response. We ended up talking on the phone for 30 minutes or more and he was very candid about what his bumper is and isn't. The seller made basically the following points during our conversation:

-They're imported from some factory that makes bumpers for all sorts of vehicles that are sold all over the world.
-His design is based on the Kaymar, but is being tweaked here and there on each batch.
-He could use thicker steel, but that he deliberately uses thinner steel to keep the weight down.
-Future models will probably have a gas strut to hold the swing-arms open. One customer has already made this mod.
-It mounts to all factory mounting locations.
-Rear mud flaps fit with some minor trimming.
-He kinda thinks of it as a starting point and expects people to mod as needed.
-He and his family have had a bunch of Land Cruisers over the last 30+ years and he's very familiar with the vehicle.

After the conversation I agreed to buy the bumper and we exchanged information. The transaction was via PayPal and was very professional. The seller shipped the bumper the next day, just like he said he would, and provided a tracking number immediately via PayPal. The bumper arrived on-time at my mechanic's shop a few days later. (Florida to Arkansas)

Upon arrival, this is what my mechanic had to say:
-Overall, for the money, it's not awful
-The mounting system is clever and well designed
-Welds are kinda ugly but not substandard, but the grinding is pretty bad
-The wings are a little too long and need to be trimmed back a couple inches in order to clear the flares
-The swingounts are not secured to the spindle in any way. The only thing that holds them on is the latch
-The ladder is REALLY close to the window, so he put some padding on it in case it makes contact
-The top piece, where the diamond plate is, doesn't go all the way back to the the truck so there's a big gap, which is covered by the diamond plate. It doesn't have any way of attaching, so he used 9 large rivets to secure it to the bumper.

His impression was that it is definitely a "get what you pay for" product, but that for the money it's not bad.

After installing it, he had some additional comments that I will touch on in the following posts.

Overall, I'm not disappointed - but I'm not thrilled either. It really can't be said enough that this is 100% "you get what you pay for." As part of my job I often have to give fairly pointed feedback to people I am training, and one of my go-to phrases is "Sufficient but uninspiring," and there's really not better way to describe this thing.

Below I will post lots of pictures and comment on specific aspects of the bumper, and I'll continue to update as I get more time using it.

Wow that looks bad! I decided to go with NWTI for my rear. About $1100 for the kit and cost for a shop to weld/powder.

Thanks OP for the review and thread.

Not wanting to spend $2k+ on a rear bumper, I've been looking at reliable/functional alternatives (don't care much for looks) and this review was hugely informational. Thanks again.

Question for people still following this thread - is the bumper an ARB clone (so does it suffer from the same poor departure angle problem)?

Saw this company and there is a different version of the 80 rear bumper now. Curious if anyone has experience with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom