Builds The Big Beast - My 1994 TLC Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, and welcome to my story!

I've been fascinated by the 80 Series Toyota Land Cruiser since my neighbor got a shiny new one back in 1995. (It was a soccer mom grocery getter and I suspect it never saw a dirt road.. Haha!) Over the years I have occasionally looked for a nice used one, but they always seemed out of reach. A couple years ago, I found myself in quick need of a vehicle and ended up buying a 1993 4Runner V6 4WD for $1800 out of a grocery store parking lot. It had 245000 miles on it and I drove the piss outta that thing when I was in town. Needing new tires, and wanting to go to a 16 inch rim, I found some Tacoma wheels on eBay and contacted the seller for a shipping quote. As it turns out, he was a couple hours away in Little Rock, so we agreed on a price and local pick-up if the eBay auction didn't find a buyer. In a later conversation, I mentioned that want I really wanted was an 80 Series Land Cruiser, and the seller said that he had one for sale at his shop. He sent me some pictures and I pretty much agreed to buy it right then.

A couple weeks later, I drove over to The Cruiser Company just west of Little Rock, Arkansas to take a look. The owner, Bobby Moran, and I agreed on a price and some work that he would do on the truck while I was out on my next trip. I arranged the finances and a month later I came back and picked it up.

I'm very, very pleased with my purchase and I'm excited about fixing it up and making it my own. My goal is to create something between an overlanding/expedition vehicle and an off-road capable car camping vehicle. I think it will largely depend on if I stay in Tennessee or move west. Well, and my budget ;)

So, without further ado...

Here are some of the pictures Bobby sent me before I came to look at it in person and take a test drive. I think these are the same three images from my post in the 80 Series Registry thread.
White FJ80 (7).JPG
White FJ80 (2).JPG
White FJ80 (3).JPG

When I got to Bobby's shop, he and his staff weren't quite finished so I got to watch them work for a couple hours. It was great to listen to him teach and tell me all about the ins and out of the truck while my buddy wandered around the lot out back ogling the old Cruisers. I think I might be able to convince him to buy one, but he's really into sports cars right now. I think we'll get there... ;)

IMG_4805.JPG
IMG_4812.JPG
IMG_4813.JPG
IMG_4814.JPG
IMG_4815.JPG

At this point, the only mods are an OME lift and extended brake lines. I had Bobby make a punch list of issues and we decided which to fix and which to not worry about.

OME Stuff:
850/863 Springs
Nitro Charger Sport Shocks
Castor Kit
Steering Damper

Other Stuff:
New fan shroud
Brake Lines
A/C flush and recharge
A/C Idler pulley
4WD shifter boot
Install 3rd row jumpseats

The tires on the truck were the OEM Michelins and they were in BAD shape. I was slightly nervous about driving at highway speed from LIT to MEM, but I made it. The next morning, I added some 285/75R16 Duratracs and had the shop do an alignment and general once-over. Here are pics before and after the Duratracs.
IMG_3335.JPG
IMG_3342.JPG

Feeling very pleased with my new ride/project, I started to notice how large this thing really is!

Here it is next to my 4Runner, on 31x10.5 BFGs
lc 3.jpg

And here it is next to a new Jeep
lc 2.jpg

And here it is next to an NA Miata. I like this comparison because I keep a red NB Miata out on the west coast for when I'm working out there. Haha!
lc 1.jpg

Looks like you got one of the fabled FZJ80s with a semi float rear axle. That or it was swapped for some reason.

Looks like you got one of the fabled FZJ80s with a semi float rear axle. That or it was swapped for some reason.

Yeah, the data plate says it was produced in July of 1994, but ti's got rear drum brakes and no ABS. I was a little bummed about that, but it is what it is I suppose. Is this a desirable or rare model, or just noteworthy?

Just weird. I've heard of it, but thought it only occurred on early 93 year models. It's not the end of the world, but the full float with disks is better.

Just weird. I've heard of it, but thought it only occurred on early 93 year models. It's not the end of the world, but the full float with disks is better.

That's what I figured. I wonder what the story is with these... Mine's pretty basic, with few options. I wonder if it was ordered as a fleet vehicle or something.

Good find !! Is it the Holy Grail version with no sun roof? It should have came with cloth seats as well but the pictures look like some crazy camo seat covers.

Also I would replace that radiator cap with an OEM version for your next mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom