SOA advice for wheel & tire combo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you might need the 1/4 in spacer cause some calipers hit the "window" on those wheels I had to runem on mine

you might need the 1/4 in spacer cause some calipers hit the "window" on those wheels I had to runem on mine

mine dont hit....

must just be cause your gay:flipoff2::flipoff2:

mine dont hit....

must just be cause your gay:flipoff2::flipoff2:

I did say some ... and its realy is most that I have seen ..... and dont get your hopes up I'm Marrried :p:flipoff2:

but your right my 82 needs em and the 85 doesn't and the last 3 truck at work that I put em on needed them :meh:

dont get your hopes up I'm Marrried :p:flipoff2:

i was afraid of that.

well least my fiancee will be happy im not cheating on HER with you...:doh:

I emailed 4 wheel parts, still no reply.........Why would these rims hit some peoples rigs, but not on others?

Well, as you may or may not have heard. After a month on backorder I decided to cancel my order and look for other wheels/tires. My friend was say if I tried to run 35s on my stock wheels they would rub. I had ordered the 15x8 with reverse offset of 2.5. Some said they'd rub, other's said they wouldn't. What is a for sure thing to order? 87 FJ60 SOA 35x12.50x15. That's what I need to put it on, and those are the tire size. Thanks.

Well, as you may or may not have heard. After a month on backorder I decided to cancel my order and look for other wheels/tires. My friend was say if I tried to run 35s on my stock wheels they would rub. I had ordered the 15x8 with reverse offset of 2.5. Some said they'd rub, other's said they wouldn't. What is a for sure thing to order? 87 FJ60 SOA 35x12.50x15. That's what I need to put it on, and those are the tire size. Thanks.

I'm running US Wheel D-window 2" backspace w/ 37" MTR's. They don't rub on the caliper, but the stamped part is close...I guess I got lucky.

I'm running US Wheel D-window 2" backspace w/ 37" MTR's. They don't rub on the caliper, but the stamped part is close...I guess I got lucky.

I saw in your signature line you have 2" backspace. So are your weels 2 inch backspace with a 2" spacer? Do you have 2" spacers all around? are they 15x10? Thanks

Correction I think you mean you have 4" backspace with 2"spacers?

15 x 8 w/ 2" backspace, no spacers...Link to pics - 56k beware

They were custom order...I just happened to be in the right place at the right time at a local 4WD shop (guy that ordered them never showed up).
DSCF6594.JPG

DSCF6595.JPG

Here is a pic of mine with the set up youre looking for, only I have the 10in rim...
No issues with it, but I wish I had gone with the 8in....it would make it look a lil better IMO!
I DID require a 1/4 in spacer to clear the caliper though.

Chicago
quarterchop 048.jpg
blotch08 028.jpg
ROTW 011.jpg

I think both look great! I prefer the 15x8 look as well. You think if I get 15x8 with 2.5 inch reverse backspace and a 1/2 inch spacer I will be good? I'll see if I can find any 15x8's with 2 inch backspace.
Chicago, what is your backspace on your wheels that you had to use a 1/4 inch spacer? Thanks guys. Great info and help! Many thanks. I'm ready to move up to the big boy club and believe it or not, your rigs are what inspired me to go SOA I remember seeing them when I was a land cruiser cherry. haha Thanks Looking good

Kavik, do they rub when you turn hard?

Kavik, sweeet pics on that link I just saw them. You didn't go with add-a-leaf did you? Check out my SOA Begins!!! thread. I'm going to throw a early pic up. I wanted to wait but I'm to excited to not post it. Later

Kavik, do they rub when you turn hard?

Kavik, sweeet pics on that link I just saw them. You didn't go with add-a-leaf did you? Check out my SOA Begins!!! thread. I'm going to throw a early pic up. I wanted to wait but I'm to excited to not post it. Later

Pics? Thanks man...

Rub? Yes and no. I can drive it on the street and prerun, but if I stuff the front and turn it definitely rubs. I could lift the front more to avoid contact, but I will be doing some fender massaging instead.

Add-a-leaf? I am using one in front (minus 2 factory leaves). I originally installed them in the rear, but the truck was too tall. So, I started pulling out rear factory leaves to settle it down. The ass end was just too heavy and it bottomed out bad. So, right now, the rear is all OEM, plus 2 short OEM on the drivers side to correct my cruisa' lean. The ride is actually not bad, although I expect it to tighten up when I can afford new shocks.

Looks killer. Be prepared to play with the spring set up. Oh, and re-learn how to hop in the drivers seat:grinpimp:
attachment.php

I think both look great! I prefer the 15x8 look as well. You think if I get 15x8 with 2.5 inch reverse backspace and a 1/2 inch spacer I will be good? I'll see if I can find any 15x8's with 2 inch backspace.
Chicago, what is your backspace on your wheels that you had to use a 1/4 inch spacer? Thanks guys. Great info and help! Many thanks. I'm ready to move up to the big boy club and believe it or not, your rigs are what inspired me to go SOA I remember seeing them when I was a land cruiser cherry. haha Thanks Looking good

My rims are 2.5 in BS...Its actually not UNcommon to to hit the caliper. Many people have had this issue, and many have had different solutions to this problem. When I got my rig the PO had been running spacers, and I never had any problems with them either, so I opted to just stay with them. Plus, the little added width doesnt hurt either to off set at least some of the height. This maybe maginal AT BEST, but in my mind...it makes me feel a little better!
As I said in you thread...youre gonna LOVE this mod!
Id never go back to SUA configuration.

Congratulations! Its looking great!

Chicago

My rims are 2.5 in BS...Its actually not UNcommon to to hit the caliper. Many people have had this issue, and many have had different solutions to this problem. When I got my rig the PO had been running spacers, and I never had any problems with them either, so I opted to just stay with them. Plus, the little added width doesnt hurt either to off set at least some of the height. This maybe maginal AT BEST, but in my mind...it makes me feel a little better!
As I said in you thread...youre gonna LOVE this mod!
Id never go back to SUA configuration.

Congratulations! Its looking great!

Chicago

Thanks! I will check on those wheels I was going to order as a package. Maybe I can get just the wheels sent and buy the tires locally when I get home. I like the 2.5" backspace and a small spacer will assure me that I won't have any issues. I'm trying to just buy the wheels off of Jason, that he has on my rig now. I wanted black wheels, but hey, beggers can't be chosers right? I'm looking forward to getting it on the road, or should I say off the road haha.

They say...

They say that at least 3.75" BS is needed to clear the brake caliper but some wheels (like the ones I bought: Desertcrawler faux beads 15x8 3.75BS) still make contact due to the nature of the "D" window in the rim. So I would say 3.5" is the most you would want. I run .25 spacers to compensate and they barely clear with some "self" clearancing. (rub-rub)

They say that at least 3.75" BS is needed to clear the brake caliper but some wheels (like the ones I bought: Desertcrawler faux beads 15x8 3.75BS) still make contact due to the nature of the "D" window in the rim. So I would say 3.5" is the most you would want. I run .25 spacers to compensate and they barely clear with some "self" clearancing. (rub-rub)

Thanks as well, I will look into those. I thought about using my stock rims because I'm burnt out on internet shopping, and I just want to drive it; however, my friend said they wouldn't work. I know he has a reason and I trust his opinion. Just out of curiousity, I thought stock rims were 15x8 with 3.5 inch backspace? hmmmm........ Anyone see a reason they wouldn't work? I'm going to check out those desert runners. Most wheels come as 3.75 inch backspace. I'm thinking my best bet is 15x8 or 15x10 with the 2.5inch backspace and a 1/4 inch spacer. Anyone oppose to that working? Please feel free to inform me. Thanks

stock width is 15x7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom