So who has actually replaced their heater hose?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I was reading about this heater hose replacement (the PHH) -- it's here (thanks to Slee):

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_heater_hose.htm

This hose will pop on all 80s at one point, the article says, and one poster found this replacement a more difficult install than his S/C -- WTF!!

Has anyone had this done at a dealer? What labor would they charge? Why isn't this a maintenance item?

Just curious --

THANKS!

eric

Do a search using PHH, that will keep you busy for a while.

My dealer replaced mine at no charge - just gave him another cold diet coke out of the fridge. Of course, it's when the engine was out (again). :flipoff2:

Have fun. :flipoff2:

Talked to Slee, they'll do it for 2 hours @ (I think) $75/hr

Has anyone here ever done theirs?

Yes,

Do a search on PHH and you will get A Lot of stuff, way too much to hash over again in this thread.

I did mine and last I checked Christo still had my proceedure up there. Once I figured out how to do it it wasn't all that bad. Read through it and I can answer any questions you might have. Since this proceedure was being written while developing it I chose spit as a lubricant however it was pointed out to me that some soap would work better. Don't get to worked up over this it really isn't that hard!

I tried to do it with the limited tools I had but just couldnt get to it and didnt have the time. Took it in to a non-toyota shop and was charged 10buck for the hose and 2 hours for labor =$200.

Chris

10 bucks for 50mm of 5/8 hose? :whoops:

The OEM hose lists for $2.29

Well, this is the reason why I am starting to tackle the things myself!

Appartently Dan's wife is pretty good at doing this task. ;)
I suggest giving your own wife/girl friend a shot at it. Then give her the $200 bucks to go shopping or whatever. ::)

Riley

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=5437;start=msg43032#msg43032 date=1064002769]
10 bucks for 50mm of 5/8 hose? :whoops:

The OEM hose lists for $2.29
[/quote]

Yeah, but the labor charge is quite reasonable. If I had to do it over again, I would have saved the time and skin and let someone else do it.

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=5437;start=msg42991#msg42991 date=1063997179]
I chose spit as a lubricant [/quote]
oh, leave your.. :nevermind: :-X :flipoff2: :D

I used spit but I couldn't spit up into the motor so I licked the tube and the block nipple on the motor. Just kidding, I have yet to do that fix. My wife will lick the block nipple.
If others can get their wives to do it, so can I.

The PHH replacement is over rated - especially the ludicrous comparison to a supercharger install. I don't think it took me over an hour, though I definitely would NOT want to tackle this by the side of the road as one member successfully did. Whoo!!

I replaced every single hose at the same time (something close to 20 of them) and found 2 others that were actually tougher to get to:

1 between the rear of the head and the firewall
2 small thin hose hanging down between the intake runners

So, don't sweat the PHH too much - others more worthy of the name lurk ;->

IdahoDoug

So, call me stupid, but I do not think I am going to touch any of the hoses until they start a leakin. I think a careful monitoring of the engine compartment will tell an owner when they need to change one. If it blows, it will suck, but I feel confident the coolant on the hot motor will be the warning needed to pull over and call the tow. I have never had to tow any of the three cruisers I have owned so I say all of this with confidence.

Tenn

In this case I will call you stupid, although as a teacher I will respect your self worth and call your actions stupid. :D

Really, consider doing this hose as a preventative maintenance item at or before 100,000. Loss of coolant at the head on a very hot engine could cause warpage and even cracking on an aluminum head. That head will be a whole lot harder to change and a lot more expensive than the hose.

Just last month a LCML lister had his PHH start to leak, not even a wholesale blowout while on vacation with his family. A vacation gets a whole lot less fun when your vehicle dies over a holiday weekend. Fortunately, he was able to limp it to Slee Offroad and extend his vacation by a day or two. My guess is a dealership would have been a whole lot less able to drop everything and get right on his rig, and a whole lot more money. I remember when this first started being an issue, some dealers were claiming the engine had to come out to remove that hose.

Is this PHH leaking/bursting problem an out West problem? Do to the dry hot heat and higher speed limit out West. Are there Northern 80 that had their PHH go on them?

I think it might be more prevelant out west do to the fact they don't use the heater that much. Using the heater allows coolant to flow through the PHH and helps cool it, even if only during the winter months. At 60k mine was a little soft and somewhat swollen and not really ready to burst (setup for Junk) . I changed it anyway and will do soon at the next antifreeze flush.

IdahoDoug

Once before I have heard the rumour of an EMPHH's (even more pesky heater hoses).

Do these heater hoses have the same potential to leave you stranded?

How many of you have replaced these other hoses?

I was just getting to the point where I felt confident in tackling the PHH, and now I am not so sure. It is actually somewhat shocking to consider that these things have 20 hoses.

Since I don't really know the history of my 93 80 I guess it would be for the best to go ahead and replace all the stupid hoses at once-- before something very bad happens.

Who has that kind of time?

Jared

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom