So who has actually replaced their heater hose?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm new to the 80's game but from what I've learned - the PHH is prone to failure because of it's location (it's very hot back there). Other PHH's probably don't fail as soon. But they will someday.

I say tackle one PHH at a time unless your pulling the intake off or motor out.

R

I disagree with Doug on the hoses. I found the ones on the firewall and the one that goes through the intake to be no big deal at all. It took me a long time to do the one on the side of the head. I did all the hoses at once.

I guess that's because you were changing it with the engine sitting on your garage floor, no? :D :D

The ones I speak of that are aptly labelled EMPHH (heh) are more time consuming because of their location clear at the rear of the engine, which you cannot reach with your feet on the ground unless you're about 8 feet tall. Someone on the 80s Cool list (if you're here please take a bow) had a great idea to make it simpler though.

Lay some wood across the fenders after padding them. Then you can be atop the engine on your knees and get to them better where they lurk at the firewall. Still took me a couple hours to get to the 4(?) back there, including moving the wiring harness and associated holders. An excellent time to refresh the heat insulation there. I seem to recall that it took me most of a day to do every hose except that tiny one inside the intake runners (haven't managed to figure that one out, yet - may need a trip to Eric's to get it).

Having said this, I don't think the 80 has hoses that are any less or more difficult to get to than many other vehicles, or any more or less prone to failure. It's just that some of us work our rigs fairly hard, and often these same folks are rabid DIY'ers so the rest of you hear about them. Many "normal" vehicles go their entire lives of about 120,000 miles with most or all hoses unchanged simply because by the time they're at that mileage they're on the 3rd owner and considered throwaway vehicles. At 130,000 miles, my 80 is just broken in and fully ready for another 10 years of service.

As for replacing the hoses one at a time, consider the pain of draining and refilling the coolant several times. I elected to do them all at once since all the tools are out, and the great idea of the wood popped up. Plus it was time for fresh coolant, so a bonus.

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=5437;start=msg44343#msg44343 date=1064383431]
I guess that's because you were changing it with the engine sitting on your garage floor, no? :D :D[/quote]

Nope. I had the valve cover & throttle body removed though. Just stand on a toolbox to reach.

Doug,

>> At 130,000 miles, my 80 is just broken in ... <<

You need to update your sig line. :D

-B-

Hoses for the rear heater (sweat breaks out on brow)? I hope you're speaking of the firewall hoses I changed. I assume they're all metal from there back, right?

Anxious IdahoDoug

Nope. Look under the rig. I've yet to replace those.

I'll check it out - thanks for the head's up. Also, by total coincidence the Apple Airport died yesterday and I'm now using a Lucent wireless modem I had for a demo. Shoulda never mentioned it....

IdahoDoug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom