So tell me why I shouldn't use worm drive clamps with silicone heater hose? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone advise me as to why I shouldn't use a stainless worm drive clamp on the 5/8" silicone heater hose I am using for my PHH? Just wondering the pro's and cons.....

Thanks, TOm

Something to do with thermal expansion of the clamp.

Apparently the silicone doesn't like to seal itself to the metal, and even the tiniest change in the clamp pressure will let it leak.

Somehow the fancy clamps counteract this.

Hayes

Worm drive can loosen up with vibration and temp change. Since the PHH is a beehatch to get to using constant torque is a good idea. That being said, I did mine with worm drive but will be redoing that job with the greenstripe kit soon. :cheers:

Especially if the worm drive clamp isn't sleeved, the notches will cut into the surface of the hose compromising the outer structure... probably not catastrophically, but if you are going to the length of putting silicone on, you at least should get sleeved worm gear clamps.

I have not done my PHH yet.
So let me get this straight.
55mm length
Silicone with fancy clamps because silicone does not seal well
or
Greenstripe with sleeved worm clamp because is seals better

The fancy clamps are also sleeved.

-B-

Does Napa carry the fancy clamps?

SR.GRINGO said:
Does Napa carry the fancy clamps?

Mine did. They're called Stainless Constant Tension hose clamps. They should be able to look it up in their catalogs. They might have been in the Beck Arnley catalog but it's been 3 years and I can't remember. Someone posted the part numbers a few years ago. Do an Advanced Search on "Constant Tension" and see what you find.

-B-

My local NAPA doesn't, hence my question. BTW, I have 16" of the fancy hose, which is 14" more than I should need, so let me know if anybody needs a PHH.

Tom

Basically, you can ALWAYS use the nicer clamps, but not always necessary.

There are three basic types of aftermarket clamps:
Standard worm
Sleeved worm (worm gear does not contact hose, neither do the perforations in the tightening band-keeps hose in better shape)
Constant-tension (sleeved) worm

Obviously there are the OEM-style clamps like spring ones and bolt-clamps. Not exactly commonly available (cept from the dealer=$$)

You can use the constant tension with any type of hose, only necessary for silicone.

In an ideal world, you would never use anything less than the sleeved worm drive. I tend to keep a box of these around, and change things out as I touch them for other reasons.

Napa has all three.. Might have some trouble getting the constant tension, my Napa is pretty good (caters to shops/industrial) so they had them, and silicone hose.

fzj80kidpen said:
I have not done my PHH yet.
So let me get this straight.
55mm length
Silicone with fancy clamps because silicone does not seal well
or
Greenstripe with sleeved worm clamp because is seals better

Damn Bailey.................

Shouldn't you be drinking.

Nice call bro.

reffug said:
Damn Bailey.................

Shouldn't you be drinking.

Nice call bro.

Just burnin studyin time until its drinkin time.... I think its gettin close to about that time. :grinpimp: :beer:

Hell its 5:00 somewhere in the world:)

IIRC, the ones from Napa were made by Breeze and say constant torque on the side. The little satelite Napa across the street didn't have them, but the bigger local distribution Napa did.

:beer:
Rookie2

BTW, for the Breeze constant tension clamps used in silicon hose applications, torque to 35 to 40 inch pounds. Don't over tighten them, it will defeat the spring loading in the clamp. Here is the email from Breeze. Torquing them correctly will avoid chasing down coolant hose leaks.

email-

Hello, I am replacing a bunch of heater hoses on my 1996 Toyota
landcruiser. I bought Gates green Silicon hose and several BREEZE
CONSTANT-TORQUE CLAMP part number CT-9410. To avoid leaks, what value in inch/pounds should I tighten the clamps to, using the silicon hose. The hose
diameter is 5/8" and 1/2" id.

response

Hello Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to visit our website. I asked one of our
application engineers the answer to your request and his answer is as
follows:

Standard installation torque is 35-40 in-lbs

Thanks again and have a nice day!

Bethany Lezanic
Senior Customer Service Rep.
blezanic@hoseclamp.com
724-639-3571

Last there is another type of hose clamp avalible from gates. They are used in newer cars and are reusable. I really like this type. Thermoplastic Clamp Offers Maintenance-Free Hose Connection
:beer:

Do constant tension clamps wear out or are they always as absolutely good as on day one??? I'm just wondering whether this is a spring type setup or what makes them able to expand and contract based on temperature and if whatever makes tham able to expand and contract eventually wears out???

The "spring" in the Breeze constant tension clamps I used appears to be made up of a set of Bellville washers. They fit together back-to-front-to-front-to-back, etc.

Green stripe hose & used Toy spring clamps, 40k miles and 4 years. No problems. It's not rocket science.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom