So tell me why I shouldn't use worm drive clamps with silicone heater hose? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the OEM spring clamps. None of the local dealers seem to be able to order them new--maybe Dan can. I find mine at the local U-pull-it junkyard. A couple dozen cost me $3 the last time I needed some.

Mike

cruiserman said:
Green stripe hose & used Toy spring clamps, 40k miles and 4 years. No problems. It's not rocket science.

LOL, my sentiments exactly. It worked for 140k miles so far, I'll use the same thing when the time comes to replace my PHH.

MikeB said:
I like the OEM spring clamps. None of the local dealers seem to be able to order them new--maybe Dan can. I find mine at the local U-pull-it junkyard. A couple dozen cost me $3 the last time I needed some.

Mike

Same here. I pick some up every time I go to the boneyard.

I replaced mine with the fancy silicone hose and constant tension clamps, but I'm with you guys – the PHH is not that big of a deal. The space shuttle is filled with aerospace-grade silicone hoses and fancy clamps, and they still blow up too. It's a freaking heater hose, for crying out loud.

Put a new hose on there, and as nice a clamp as you feel you need and get on with life. If you cheap out with 15¢ worth of hose and a 25¢ ideal clamp and it leaks, just know that you might be under there fixing it again in a few years. I really didn't think this was that big of a job, so doing it again after another 165K miles wouldn't be that horrible of a thought.

mike B and cruiserman are you talking about the oem wire style clamps with the adjusting bolt or the other clamps that don't adjust? I have always replaced both kinds. the wire clamps dig into the hose too much for my liking and I assumed the other kind can only be used once.

on the main topic, try your local kenworth or other big rig dealer for CT hose clamps and silicone hose at a price that does not defy gravity.

I'm talking about the spring loaded clamps that use pliers to remove. Just like the ones on the radiator hoses.

Yeah, spring loaded. Like what is on one end of the factory PHH.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom