So is it weird that I... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...almost followed a minty 80-series (40th anniversary) to wherever it was going to offer to buy it on the spot?

Nah, that's totally normal. I mean, it IS normal, right?

107492-Stalker-Friend-Meme.jpg

You could always bid on this 40th. It's pretty clean.

Not creepy if you are rolling around with $50k+ cash in your pocket to truly tempt the owner...oh yeah, that's creepy too!

Not creepy if you are rolling around with $50k+ cash in your pocket to truly tempt the owner...oh yeah, that's creepy too!
I don't carry much cash anymore. I imagine it going something like, "I'll give you $50,000. What's your Venmo?"

I do know of at least 3 houses here in Annapolis that were owned by people I know where someone knocked on the door, offered a stupid amount of cash, and became new owners within a month. No wonder why I couldn't afford do buy my own house now if I had to do it again. Prices are still nuts as the house next door to me sold for $675k less than a year ago (already overpriced in my opinion), and just re-sold with 6 over asking offers in one weekend of listing ($750k asking price). It hasn't settled yet, so I can't see public records on the sale, but a neighbor was their agent, and she said it was a very generous offer....last one that sold here a few months ago went for $75k over asking in that price range. We are in a "normal" neighborhood of 105 houses, but we do have bay access with 49 slips, ramp, and community maintained pool (about 15 homes are waterfront with own docks). At the moment, we have 4 available 40' slips plus smaller ones and our HOA just went up to $975/year with slip options and pool available to all residents. If you are a boater, we are known as a hidden gem with the amenities at that price. I grew up here, happy to live and raise my kids here (10 doors down from my parents original house), and never selling as my mortgage is paid.

As far as cars, I could see offering in person on the spot if you saw it out in a lot or something, but following someone home would still creep some people out (especially if a female driver)...then again, roll up to my door with a $50k offer and we'll certainly have a conversation! :beer:

i've had multiple folks stop in front of my house when i'm working in the garage, and ask about a car i have under a cover.

those in the know might be able to recognize it based on the shape, but it weirds me out and makes me question whether my home security and insurance policy are adequate. i've now boxed it in and obscured it w/ junk to help the situation...and mostly prevents me from actually driving the damn thing :rolleyes: . it is not and never will be for sale so i mostly find it annoying. like the solicitation by windows and roofing people...or those selling firewood.

i've had multiple folks stop in front of my house when i'm working in the garage, and ask about a car i have under a cover.

those in the know might be able to recognize it based on the shape, but it weirds me out and makes me question whether my home security and insurance policy are adequate. i've now boxed it in and obscured it w/ junk to help the situation...and mostly prevents me from actually driving the damn thing :rolleyes: . it is not and never will be for sale so i mostly find it annoying. like the solicitation by windows and roofing people...or those selling firewood.

....so is it for sale? I have some firewood I can trade you

I had a guy waiting at my fj40 in warrenton Home Depot in his car and asked if I wanted to sell it, I said no.
He asked if I knew what he would be willing to pay I said I was not interested, he then continued on with "I might be really surprised" and started to give me a history of FJ40's and I could "flip it" real quick by selling to him.
I told him it was my backwoods beater and wasn't interested he then got really mad I wouldn't entertain his offers.

Long story short, a NASA engineer coworker/friend of my brother in law is also a car guy...he has the original Shelby Series 1 and II. He was looking for parts one day and after 3 years of being on the back burner, was contacted by a rep for the liquidator of the Shelby factory in Vegas...he sent out 9 tractor trailers, bought the entire inventory of parts, and now is the exclusive licenced manufacturer of the cars and parts. Mind you, this is a "fun side job" for him! His facility is just a few miles outside of Annapolis, and he hand builds each one of these cars to order on original Shelby Series 1 chassis and components.

Gist of the story...he had his first aluminum bodied car that he built for himself (at 6'6", he needed more legroom!)...took that car and his first aluminum bodied Series I to the Paris Auto Show in 2019 to debut. Some guy was there with way too much $$ and told him to name a price as he always owns the #1 serial number of whatever he's collecting...the builder told him to go blow as the guy was a douche and he wouldn't sell to him directly at any cost (offer was $1m at the time).

Hand finished one piece bodies...his company is Wingard Motorsports - https://www.wingardmotorsportsandcustomcoaches.com/ in case anyone is in the market!

Long story short, a NASA engineer coworker/friend of my brother in law is also a car guy...he has the original Shelby Series 1 and II. He was looking for parts one day and after 3 years of being on the back burner, was contacted by a rep for the liquidator of the Shelby factory in Vegas...he sent out 9 tractor trailers, bought the entire inventory of parts, and now is the exclusive licenced manufacturer of the cars and parts. Mind you, this is a "fun side job" for him! His facility is just a few miles outside of Annapolis, and he hand builds each one of these cars to order on original Shelby Series 1 chassis and components.

Gist of the story...he had his first aluminum bodied car that he built for himself (at 6'6", he needed more legroom!)...took that car and his first aluminum bodied Series I to the Paris Auto Show in 2019 to debut. Some guy was there with way too much $$ and told him to name a price as he always owns the #1 serial number of whatever he's collecting...the builder told him to go blow as the guy was a douche and he wouldn't sell to him directly at any cost (offer was $1m at the time).

Hand finished one piece bodies...his company is Wingard Motorsports - https://www.wingardmotorsportsandcustomcoaches.com/ in case anyone is in the market!

TIL there is a Shelby Series 2, and they put a serious downdraft fuel injected Ford FE motor in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom