Snow chains, straps for an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the guys down at Les Schwab will pretty much tell you that...it's about the sticky soft compound of the snow tires.
But most of the snow tires around here are studded, and so, legally must be removed by April 15 anyway. Temps around here are in the 50's then so, it works out.:meh:
I don't take much stock in anything tire shop guys tell me. i realize they're a soft compound and will wear at an increased rate, aside from that...

"Must not be run"

I've sat through a few presentatioms on $50,000 haul truck tires, thats probably more training than tire shop guys get.:flipoff2:

And if you lay the chains in front of the tire & drive into the middle area, you can work the latches up top rather then digging in snow trying to latch on bottom after laying the chain on the tire.
I painted my latch ends yellow to see it fast in low light too. GL
i prefer to drape over the top, with the slack to the rear and drive forward, that way the majority of the chain is out of the snow. once latched, i spin a couple doughnuts and then retighten and i'm done for the day.

This is a continual winter tire question. You really have two choices, run two sets of tires or an all terrain. You will not beat a dedicated snow/ice tire, any dedicated snow/ice tire with an all terrain, period. So the real question is what is your budget? If you want the extra safety of the dedicated snow tire then get an extra set of rims as previously suggested and get either the Blizzaks or the Nokians. They wont wear well, and should not be used in warm weather. Also, they should be replaced at 50% tread depth as the rubber compound used for traction does not run deep into the carcass.

ATs are a compromise, they will work, some very well, but will not accell in any one condition. I have heard the goodyear duratrac's are good in the snow, but they have terribly thin sidewalls, really a light duty AT (in respect to off roading). The NEW BFG ATs look to be promising, can't vouch for them as they are just now hitting the shelves.

I believe Duratracks come in two different side wall ply ratings. At least when I bought mine. The weight of the two different sidewalls plys tires, in the same size, were significant as I recall.

I ended up going with 2 sets of tires and wheels. One dedicated set of snow tires that are on now, and a separate set for the spring/summer. It's more expensive up front, but in the end, you really end up paying more as snow tires wear out faster with normal spring/summer driving.

Good Choice ! what snows did you end up with ?

i prefer to drape over the top, with the slack to the rear and drive forward, that way the majority of the chain is out of the snow. once latched, i spin a couple doughnuts and then retighten and i'm done for the day.
When we each have "our way" to slap chains on, that means we've done it a "couple" times - sort of a different level than describing a way to someone who may be new to chain installation. With our aftermarket lifts I can see that as a easy way too.

I ended up going with 2 sets of tires and wheels. One dedicated set of snow tires that are on now, and a separate set for the spring/summer. It's more expensive up front, but in the end, you really end up paying more as snow tires wear out faster with normal spring/summer driving.

and much less expensive than even a minor fender bender due to a slide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom