Sniper Conversion - 72 FJ40 - F155 Engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took it out and did as many stop and go’s from speed as i could before it hit 160.

It died the first stop then 4 more times it did not. It wanted to the second time and recovered at 200 rpm

The other two times it only dipped to 500 rpm and came back to 850 idle (ive been running my sniper idles higher recently)

4 more stops after 160. No issues.

This is how mine worked out - it took a little ECU learning and also needed to readjust my throttle blade position.
Seems to be fixed, if not 100% fixed at least 95% fixed.

I tried this pcv on mine this week and didn’t get good results. BUT: I think that’s because I had already tuned the stall out and tuned my hot and cold starts. I noticed that it should work though because when coming to a stop, my afr was going rich, like 8’s, so it’s obviously compensating. It made my starts really bad though. Again, I think this is because I’d already tuned around it so anyone with a fresh install getting the issue, I definitely think it’s worth a try.

I let mine cool to 100 and took it out.

It went to 500 rpm on the first stop and recovered. I was able to run it up to 50-55 3
More times before it hit 160 and it never went under 700 (850 idle)

This to me tells once again, re @Skreddy …..

Before you start tuning on a Sniper 99.9% of the time of its not running right its due to an input from the motor.

This pcv valve will NOT come off this threaded piece!

1E2E726D-74AD-4A7F-9CA5-BF122412E573.jpeg

Is the threaded end common for everyone else, or did a PO create this giant PIA 1-piece pcv?

That's a completely different setup than my 72.
Are those male threads straight metric or are they tapered NPT style?
Also is the threaded portion steel or aluminum?

Straight treads, assuming metric. Steel piece for sure

I think I can rig something up. Appreciate the advice!

Last edited:
This pcv valve will NOT come off this threaded piece!

View attachment 3287134

That’s wild. Dang. I was able punch it out, but now I need to connect it to the new pcv

View attachment 3287147

Is the threaded end common for everyone else, or did a PO create this giant PIA 1-piece pcv?

You have a 69, I believe the PCV is threaded into the oil fill tube. Here is a good pic and part # that is required pre-70

FJ40 FJ45 FJ55 Oil Fill Vent Tube OEM Used 12160-60041 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969 - BTB Products - Land Cruiser Restoration and Parts - https://btbprod.com/product/fj40-fj45-fj55-oil-fill-vent-tube-oem-used-12160-60041-1959-1960-1961-1962-1963-1964-1965-1966-1967-1968-1969/

Back the the pcv mystery….

So mine is odd in that it threads into the crank case. I couldn’t find a valve to match, so I just knocked out the plunger and spring from the old one to make it flow freely like the new one does. Now that is a bit of an assumption on my part - but looking at the new pcv that everybody is recommending, although the flow is restricted, there isn’t a plunger to completely close it off, so it basically flows freely?

So I get it installed turn the vehicle on and it starts misfiring. I change the plugs and wires and it still misfires.

Next, I decide to just plug both ends of the hose from the Holley to the crankcase PCV. Basically blocking out both ends.

Turn it on, and no misfire. I don’t have the automotive knowledge to tell me what I just did, but there has to be some consequences to this?

Back the the pcv mystery….

So mine is odd in that it threads into the crank case. I couldn’t find a valve to match, so I just knocked out the plunger and spring from the old one to make it flow freely like the new one does. Now that is a bit of an assumption on my part - but looking at the new pcv that everybody is recommending, although the flow is restricted, there isn’t a plunger to completely close it off, so it basically flows freely?

So I get it installed turn the vehicle on and it starts misfiring. I change the plugs and wires and it still misfires.

Next, I decide to just plug both ends of the hose from the Holley to the crankcase PCV. Basically blocking out both ends.

Turn it on, and no misfire. I don’t have the automotive knowledge to tell me what I just did, but there has to be some consequences to this?
The plunger and spring the the poppet style PCV is waaayyy too big of a hole with the poppet removed. The fixed orifice hole is much smaller about 2mm. You are essentially operating with a massive vacuum leak by gutting the old unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom