Smog Pump Rebuilder FYI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spike Strip

Goblin Mode Activated
SILVER Star
Threads
Just for Cruiser Peeps info, this Alternator, Starter, Smog Pump rebuilder in Canoga Park does the rebuilds for SOR. They accept mailed in units.

B-Z Rebuilders | Auto Parts Rebuilt

I've got a smog pump there now, being rebuilt, and will post some pix of the business and finished product when I get it back. Owner says new vanes and Japanese or America bearings.

Will post pix and more info when I get mine back.

Cheers.

Dunno about East Coast but it's getting increasingly hard to get these pumps rebuilt around here, other than the cardone1 disposable units.

@RAGINGMATT is this something you do ? I never thought to ask...

Dunno about East Coast but it's getting increasingly hard to get these pumps rebuilt around here, other than the cardone1 disposable units.

@RAGINGMATT is this something you do ? I never thought to ask...

no ,

i just had one seize up on me during a initial intake of a client vehical test drive of all times & Melt the drive belt

Off the air pump pulley like a Burning Tire in the " Streets Damascus Syria ".....

1985 FJ60 2F USA spec.

i already have the Jim.C Kit on hand for a planned de-smog , but wondered about u California folks still riding on

25-30 year old pumps

oddly i was cleaning up tonight and just grabbed the pump still on the Truck and could Rotate it freely ?

so it seams the bearings are ok , its just the AIR Fins them selves That exploded and Locked up the Pump initially

now they must have all fell to the bottom of the pump body like a " Land Slide Effect " ?

The grenaded vane bits often end up in the ABV assy and block the valves... I've had to de-crapify a bunch of them.

@Spike Strip So this rebuilder is claiming to replace the internal vanes? Making the pump completely functional again?
I thought the vanes were ungetable anymore....if this is true that's great to hear.

Although I could just pull all that sh*t off of mine now.

The grenaded vane bits often end up in the ABV assy and block the valves... I've had to de-crapify a bunch of them.
@Spike Strip So this rebuilder is claiming to replace the internal vanes? Making the pump completely functional again?
I thought the vanes were ungetable anymore....if this is true that's great to hear.

Although I could just pull all that sh*t off of mine now.

DSCN9867.JPG
DSCN9868.JPG

Wow - Matt, thank you! I've never seen an exploded schematic of the Air Pump! Wonder if the parts are same for early vs late 2F (FJ60s) pumps...

Wow - Matt, thank you! I've never seen an exploded schematic of the Air Pump! Wonder if the parts are same for early vs late 2F (FJ60s) pumps...

that " should " be a diagram for a 1980 FJ40 2F , maybe the same diagram for a leter 2F not sure

i am almost Certain , many parts are shared in some way , especially internals

Ok - This place is the REAL DEAL!

I asked them to do exactly what they do for SOR - The body of the SOR pumps are not repainted as they want to keep the OE stickers. They will paint that usual industrial reman gray if you ask.

I have not taken it apart, but it definitely feels like new vanes - Many years ago, I got my hands on a NOS unit at SOR and I was surprised at how stiff if turned- I was told when the vanes are new, it's a tight fit so the air output is high. This unit feels JUST LIKE THAT.

Even better, $195 - Same as they charge SOR. About $50 cheaper than Rebuilding Factory.

This place also does Steering Gear Boxes and of course Alts, and Starters.

In the bottom pic, next to the pump, is a Ferrari 308GT AC compressor ...

upload_2019-1-23_12-49-4.png

upload_2019-1-23_12-50-2.png

upload_2019-1-23_12-50-51.png

upload_2019-1-23_12-58-1.png

upload_2019-1-23_13-2-24.png

Last edited:
Ok - This place is the REAL DEAL!

I asked them to do exactly what they do for SOR - The body of the SOR pumps are not repainted as they want to keep the OE stickers.

I have not taken it apart, but it definitely feels like new vanes - Many years ago, I got my hands on a NOS unit at SOR and I was surprised at how stiff if turned- I was told when the vanes are new, it's a tight fit so the air output is high. This unit feels JUST LIKE THAT.

Even better, $195 - Same as they charge SOR. About $50 cheaper than Rebuilding Factory.

This place also does Steering Gear Boxes and of course Alts, and Starters.

In the bottom pic, next to the pump, is a Ferrari 308GT AC compressor ...

View attachment 1887020

View attachment 1887021

View attachment 1887023

View attachment 1887027

View attachment 1887028

I like that fact they Leave the OEM Foil Decals , that's a attn. to Period correct Factory Focus Point detail unheard

of on the east coast

if i were to say : they first covered the original Foil Decal up with Delicate release Body shop tape , then

Media Blasted or SODA blasted the main body , then removed the delicate release tape , then proceeded with the

rebuild would i be right or wrong ?

Dunno. I was amazed they were able to save it since it was covered in blood sweat and tears - and Grease!

How long did it take? Tempted to send my currently functioning unit (just jinxed it) in to be rebuilt for my sanity.

Literally overnight. I dropped it off yesterday afternoon, and picked it up today around 1pm and even had time to stop on the way home and pick up empinadas!

How long did it take? Tempted to send my currently functioning unit (just jinxed it) in to be rebuilt for my sanity.

I have another core I may take in just as a back up 'cuz who knows if Kalif will ever go to rolling exemption and who knows how long parts will be available. Plus, price is excellent.

For anyone who sends them a pump - Tell them you saw this on MUD - I told the owner I would post and he said they would charge everyone the SOR price.

Cheers.

Literally overnight. I dropped it off yesterday afternoon, and picked it up today around 1pm and even had time to stop on the way home and pick up empinadas!

I have another core I may take in just as a back up 'cuz who knows if Kalif will ever go to rolling exemption and who knows how long parts will be available. Plus, price is excellent.

For anyone who sends them a pump - Tell them you saw this on MUD - I told the owner I would post and he said they would charge everyone the SOR price.

Cheers.

" Everybody pays the SOR Club Card Price on this Part " :rofl:

Excellent info Spike. Think I have 3 smog pumps around here...my beat original, and a locked up POS a fellow Mud'r sold me years ago (thanks d*ck! *middle finger*), and another replacement pump that's spinning in the truck currently.

Think I'll ship one to this guy to have a spare. Then again, my 62 is smog exempt now, sooo......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom