Smittybilt Overlander XL Roof Top Tent First Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm going to fab up a front fairing to cover the roof top tent and the front cross bar of the roof rack I made out of unistrut. There is no howling up there, just regular wind noise from the blunt face of the RTT. Since I used unistrut to build the roof rack, it will be easy to attach two front unistrut "outriggers" upon which the fairing can be mounted to. It will end up looking something like this. I would only run the fairing on the highway on LONG trips out to Moab from central Missouri. For short trips, I wouldn't even bother. I'm mounting my LED light bar to the front unistrut crossbar so would need to remove the fairing once we arrived so the LED could be used.

Decided to attach the brackets directly to the tent channel. Very sturdy. Ran some bolts in the channel with wing nuts for quick removal of the fairing when we open up the tent.

175E8435-3845-41E3-A6F7-50481809E9F1.jpeg

95713601-C7AA-4423-9483-E07949DDB8DF.jpeg

I have the smaller version and LOVE it. Wanted the larger one, but didn't really need the interior tent space as much as I need additional roof rack storage space, so went with the small. I removed the foam pad and replaced it with a full size air mattress (HUGE difference). Slept comfortably for 4 nights in Big Bend NP. The air mattress deflates in 30 seconds and folds up tighter than the foam pad meaning I can keep my sleeping bag, extra blankets, pillows, etc. in the folded tent easily. I put skateboard griptape on the ladder rungs as those get very slick if there is morning dew.

View attachment 1930772

I agree more roof rack space vs. more sleeping room is a tough decision, I am still debating. Do you have any pictures of how much roof rack space you have going this route?

Thanks!

I agree more roof rack space vs. more sleeping room is a tough decision, I am still debating. Do you have any pictures of how much roof rack space you have going this route?

Thanks!

I split my Yakima MegaWarrior in 2 and use the front half on the roof rack in front of the tent. I can carry 2 Rigid 22" tool boxes (RIDGID 22 in. Pro Tool Box, Black-222570 - The Home Depot) and 20L/5Gal jerry cans in that spot (not in attached photo).

IMG_2865.JPG

I split my Yakima MegaWarrior in 2 and use the front half on the roof rack in front of the tent. I can carry 2 Rigid 22" tool boxes (RIDGID 22 in. Pro Tool Box, Black-222570 - The Home Depot) and 20L/5Gal jerry cans in that spot (not in attached photo).

View attachment 1956934

Gary, what's it like setting that tent up and down every day at HIH? I was considering getting one, but I think we'll be in a tent (or a trailer if we find the right deal before the trip) this year. Last year we didn't have much of a home base set up (just slept in the back of the 100) and it was a pita for that long. Not having to setup/teardown each day is appealing

Gary, what's it like setting that tent up and down every day at HIH? I was considering getting one, but I think we'll be in a tent (or a trailer if we find the right deal before the trip) this year. Last year we didn't have much of a home base set up (just slept in the back of the 100) and it was a pita for that long. Not having to setup/teardown each day is appealing

The tent takes about 5 minutes to setup and 10 minutes to put up. I wouldn't do it at HIH as the daily setup/putup would be annoying over the course of 6 days. Additionally, I have the ARB 2500 awning and associated 8x8 room. That setup/putup time is about 10/10 minutes. I setup the tent each day (4 days) in Big Bend recently and it got a little annoying on the 3rd and 4th day. The comfort in the tent is ridiculous. I put in a full-sized air mattress in place of the 2" foam pad. Rivals my bed at home for comfort and inflates in less than 30 seconds and deflates just as quick. Folds up easily in the tent as well.

My original plan (and still is if my trailer can get fixed in time) is to have both the tent and the awning mounted onto a trailer so I can set everything up once and put it all up on the 5th day.

One thing I would recommend would be to get either the XL from Smittybilt or the same size tent as mine from Roam. Reason being is that they have the extended cover that provides protection from the elements when climbing into the tent. Mine is exposed. Rain coming down at an angle can soak you before you're able to get into the tent. The Smittybilt XL and the Roam have an annex room that would be REALLY nice to have so you can change clothes or remove muddy shoes in privacy and shelter without tracking them up into the tent. The shoebags, by the way, are useless IMO.

This is the Roam Vagabond V4 tent I'm referring to above. It's the same footprint as my smaller Smittybilt, but has the "vestibule/annex" More expensive, but so worth it IMO after having spent nearly a year and 20+ nights camping in my current setup.
The Vagabond V4 Rooftop Tent

Very nice! What are the strap/bracket straps, steel or aluminum? Did you bend them yourself?

Just bar stock steel that I bought from Ace Hardware. I bent them in my bench vice.

I have a Smittybuilt XL and annex as well. I agree it would get annoying to put up and take down for 5 or 6 days. Ideally I’d like to get a hard shell to solve that I suppose.

@harrydunn and @sammybones i just picked up a smittybilt XL and trying to find the right rack for it. I’d like something like the ARB expedition rack with some front storage, but by my measurements the tent would hang off the back of the rack by 14 inches or so. Would you all recommend a flat rack to carry the whole tent or would hanging off the back a bit be okay?

The back hanging off is totally fine. I have a homemade rack made of Unistrut and even took it through Moab. You will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom