SM465 conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could someone tell me what is required to do a SM465 conversion?
Currently have 1971 3spd. Was considering to do 4spd conversion. But the shafts are different and now probably need transfer case to match.

So now I think the sm465 is a better option.
But not knowing exactly what it entails.
I look forward to hearing for responses.

Thank you.

I can’t remember if it is the sm420 or the 465 that will work with the Toyota 3speed bellhousing or not. Will probably need a new clutch setup , it may work with the Toyota clutch disc I don’t know ,will need an adapter for your transfer case. May still need driveshafts lengthened or shortened also. I know not much help. Sorry. Lol

These guys up here in Canada can help you out with the sm420 and F bellhousing. Owner name is Steve. He should be able to put a kit together for you.

You need the rare ish 10 spline version of the SM465 that came on 4wd trucks-Early Blazers are a good source. The millions and millions of 2wd Chevy trucks with SM465s all had 35 spline outputs which won't work with your transfer case unless you use AA's full adaptor and spud shaft. That makes the drive train too long in my opinion and it's expensive. But that reminds me. I have a 10 spline output shaft you could used to change a 35 spline SM465 to 10 spline. If you end up needing that, make a offer and it's yours.

You'll also need the plate adaptor from the transmission to transfer case (hard to find) though I heard that Classic Cruisers in colorado has them. Before you start down this path, call them and confirm you can still get the adapter plates.

Then you need a Chevy 10 inch 10 spline clutch disc. You otherwise use a Toyota clutch and flywheel.

You need a different pilot bearing too. It's got an elongated snout to engage the shorter input of the 465. And this is important to stabilize the front of the input shaft. Don't skip this step.

You will also need to machine the hole bigger in the 3 speed bellhousing, or machine down the input bearing cover on the 465. You can also buy that piece pre-made from AA I think. You also need to sleeve the extension of the input bearing cover since the hole in the Toyota throwout bearing is larger than the chevy version of the same.

Drive shafts will have to be re-sized as well.

Probably forgetting a bit. I have an SM420 (predecessor to SM465) in my FJ40 and it's a beast and a huge upgrade for dirt. And since they were all 10 spline, it's more likely the one you find will work. And all the parts were available for the 420 conversion from Extreme bends. And no machine work either because the input bearing cover is smaller in diameter. Extreme bends sells a super handy indexing ring to make up the slight difference in size.

Take a look at Advance Adapter and Novak, they will have the adapter and transmission information you're looking for.

I may have a rebuilt sm465 10 spline for sale soon. Let me know if you would be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom