My gap is much smaller (1/2 - 1/3 as tall) but for now I've got a small rectangle of foam in the channel exposed by the gap. When the window closes fully it slightly compresses the bit of foam and seals the window. I used a UV stable/resistant foam that I keep around but anything with UV resistance should last long enough. The foam is probably not necessary but was easy and the rest of the seals look/work well so full replacement doesn't seem that valuable on my 80 at least. I'll replace the seals if/when I ever get my paint sorted or if/when I go to gullwings.
My seals benefited from a thorough cleaning/flushing with water and then rubber treatment (may have used silicone grease and/or 303, don't recall). They are easy to open and don't leak at this point though the rubber is a bit stiff.