Slee's Front Bumper at Moab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK, help me out. Where did he (Slee) get those head light assemblies?
Take a look at them. Not regular (US version) LC fare...

Toyota gets it. They make a 100 series w/ SFA.

The 105 is built for going almost anywhere with a ton (or more) of load, in tough or hostile environments, while being easy to service, and last almost forever. Which it manages extremely well, but it's not intended for rockcrawling.

OK, thanks for the heads up. Was more just curious if they (head lights) was actually a decent set-up to provide better ligth than the LC's stock assemblies.

Have not found them on eBay. Anyone have a link? Just want to take a closer look. And don't worry, no plans on going the Civic route for the LC :)

those lights look cool! I saw them and a different design (larger light shapes similar to the 4th gen 4Runner) on ebay a while ago.

:cool: cross posting for convenience. I was planning on an ARB Sahara Bar for my slightly modded 100, but this is way kewl. I might need one. I'm gonna wait and see what the prices are like...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looking goooooood!!

I hope he doesn't mind.

Back at home. I don't mind at all posting the pics. It was there for everyone to see and not a secret. My camera is in my other truck still at Moab. Much more pics to post and will answer questions tomorrow.

Truck did great. Ended up driving it to and from Moab after I broke the trailer in half when we loaded it :doh:

I drove it back from Moab today. 12/13mpg on the road, Moab to Denver in 5 hours. Runs 75/80 on the road no problem other than some vibrations from 39's that have never been close to a wheel balancer. And that is with 7.5" of lift and no swaybars.

The v8 makes the world of difference both on the road and off-road. John, there is no comparison between this truck and a 80 with 6" of lift. Much more usable platform.

PS, bumper is a very early prototype. Styling etc will be changed somewhat for production trucks. We even managed to fit a 12k Warn winch. Miles above any of the other bumpers in terms of clearance.

Had the chance to see the 100 SFA in person up close in Moab. It is a complete work of art. Unlike most actors, Slees' 100 SFA is much bigger in person. According to Ben it was a no brainer on the trails. I might now have my next vehicle plan secured...

Thanks Christo ;)

Though I don't get it yet.....why not just get an 80 if you're gonna rip out the IFS. 80's smaller....a huge help!

We built it big so that we can beat on it and see what holds up. However I do not see this conversion as a rock crawling thing. I see it as the next expedition truck. For the guys that will trash IFS on expeditions there is not much choice other than the 80. Good ones are getting scares and you have to deal with a motor that just does not have enough power when the truck is fully loaded.

The v8 is a really nice motor. I was totally blown away by the torque on that motor when wheeling in the rocks. Ben drove it more than I did and he feels the same way. I had the exact same wheels, tires and gear ratio on the ShortBus and that truck could hardly get out of it's own way. This truck will drive 80 mph on the road with no problem.

I think the SFA with 35's would make a excellent expedition truck.

A v8 swap back into the 80 is also an option, or a diesel, but you always end up with a swapped truck that is a bastard child. On this truck the drivetrain is pretty much stock, with a different axle in the front. If you have motor problem etc etc you can still take it to the dealer or shop and they can work on it. With a motor swap, unless you know what is going on and how it was done, you will be frustrated since no-one wants to work on it.

I think I'd prefer the ARB Sahara actually, a little more "traditional" for lack of a better word... maybe conservative is the word... :grinpimp:

Regardless, Slee's bumpber sure as hell looks awesome, aggresive and bomb proof for the rock crawler crowd though. :cool:

Fish

If you never intend to hit your bumper on a rock then the ARB will do fine. Ask those than have wheeled with an ARB on a rock what happens.

This bumper is going to be built for a specific market. The looks will slightly. s The fenders on this truck was cut so the wings are not the final shape, Also the fairlead support and recovery points will change. With the 12k Warn we also have to catch the front part of the winch and not just bolt it in from the bottom. If the 12k fits, smaller winches will also fit.

The rest of the changes are going to be cosmetic to flow better with the lines of the truck.

No idea on price and when it will be available. We will work on it in the next months but just like the 80 ShortBus bumper it took us almost a year from prototype to production. This should be faster but no promises.

OK, help me out. Where did he (Slee) get those head light assemblies?
Take a look at them. Not regular (US version) LC fare...

Ebay special. We needed a headlight and a pair was cheaper than 1 Toyota light. They are cheap, but I kinda like the bling :D The Halo parts are blue and matches the truck : D They are not sealed properly and gets moisture inside. I would not recommend them a replacement. The pattern seems to be pretty OK. Might even be better with a HID conversion in them.

I need to talk to the supplier about the moisture, but my gut feeling is I am on my own. Some silicone should do the trick

Great job Christo, your 100 is the bomb! Christo just pushed the envelope further for all the 100 owners out there, good for him. A 100 with a solid axel is the best of both worlds in my opinion. Can’t wait to see it in person I doubt those pictures do it justice. I personal ready dig the front bumper. Looks right at home on the front of a 100.

Thanks Tare, we tackled this since it needed to be done. We wanted to see what it would take, what off the shelf parts could be used and what needed to be made. We choice to do a simple copy of the 80 setup with some small custom touches. The reason for this was road manners.

I am sure the question will come up that we should have one a three link for more articulation, used coil overs etc etc. Our main concern was to build a truck that drives well at higher speeds and on the road. Worse than a 80, a 100 will never be a rock crawler. The 80 front is simple and has proven itself to work. All parts other than mounts are 80 parts and can easily be replaced and serviced.

I will do a write-up on the truck sometime to give all the specs.

If you never intend to hit your bumper on a rock then the ARB will do fine. Ask those than have wheeled with an ARB on a rock what happens.

This bumper is going to be built for a specific market. The looks will slightly. s The fenders on this truck was cut so the wings are not the final shape, Also the fairlead support and recovery points will change. With the 12k Warn we also have to catch the front part of the winch and not just bolt it in from the bottom. If the 12k fits, smaller winches will also fit.

The rest of the changes are going to be cosmetic to flow better with the lines of the truck.

No idea on price and when it will be available. We will work on it in the next months but just like the 80 ShortBus bumper it took us almost a year from prototype to production. This should be faster but no promises.

So are you saying that your bumper will be much stronger than the Sahara? The Sahara is a dent waiting to happen.

Christo,
This 100 is just awesome in concept and, it seems, execution! Great thought process and following the KISS philosophy... or maybe the KI-OEM philosophy!:cool:

It makes a lot of sense- in essence, you are SIMPLIFYING the 100 but making it STRONGER & MORE CAPABLE-- by making a new version of the FZJ80 w/ all the off-the-shelf parts you can (what Toyota would have done if they loosened their sphincter).

Just when I thought I was set, now I gotta go 100 shopping :doh:

Look fwd to the writeup and more pics! :popcorn:

We built it big so that we can beat on it and see what holds up. However I do not see this conversion as a rock crawling thing. I see it as the next expedition truck. For the guys that will trash IFS on expeditions there is not much choice other than the 80. Good ones are getting scares and you have to deal with a motor that just does not have enough power when the truck is fully loaded.

The v8 is a really nice motor. I was totally blown away by the torque on that motor when wheeling in the rocks. Ben drove it more than I did and he feels the same way. I had the exact same wheels, tires and gear ratio on the ShortBus and that truck could hardly get out of it's own way. This truck will drive 80 mph on the road with no problem.

I think the SFA with 35's would make a excellent expedition truck.

A v8 swap back into the 80 is also an option, or a diesel, but you always end up with a swapped truck that is a bastard child. On this truck the drivetrain is pretty much stock, with a different axle in the front. If you have motor problem etc etc you can still take it to the dealer or shop and they can work on it. With a motor swap, unless you know what is going on and how it was done, you will be frustrated since no-one wants to work on it.

So are you saying that your bumper will be much stronger than the Sahara? The Sahara is a dent waiting to happen.

John,

If you don't have something nice to say:D

I like it, but I can't wait that long. It's been two years since I mangled my front bumper and I really want a new one:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom