Sleeping Platform Without Drawers - Here's What I Came Up With (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been wanting a simple and easy to setup sleeping platform without the standard drawer setup. The drawers are cool but I don't really like how it compartmentalizes the space underneath. I wanted to leave the underneath completely open and accessible. So I came up with this...

There are 4 supports that bolt directly in to the seatbelt bolts that are already welded to the body. 2 more supports down the middle that tie the 'bed frame' in to the floor (drilled 2 holes in the floor).

I'm a very novice welder and don't have much luck cutting wood. Overall, it turned out pretty good despite my handicaps.
cruiserbed_1.jpg
cruiserbed_2.jpg
cruiserbed_3.jpg

With the 3/4" plywood platform...
cruiserbed_8.jpg
cruiserbed_9.jpg
crusierbed_6.jpg

The hinge I used. The carriage bolt I used to hold down the hinged extensions (so they don't rattle).
P1070161.jpg
cruiserbed_7.jpg
P1070162.jpg

As you can see in the pic. I had to drill 4 holes in the side panels to access the seat belt bolt nuts. Then 2 holes in the floor. That was the extent of the modifications to the vehicle. Cutting the wood to match the shape of the side panels was definitely the hardest part for me. I practiced on some cheap plywood first.

I'm 5'11" and the bed is still a hair short; definitely doable but my legs will have to bent slightly. The limitation is that the hinged part has to clear the headliner, therefore limiting it's length.

Last edited:
That is quite sexy! It would be cool if there was a way that you could temporarily keep the extensions over the 2nd row in an upright position incase of a unexpected passenger during a trip.
Great work!

Here's another one showing the necessary notch in the side of the extension that allows it to move past the seat belt anchor in the side pillars.
cruiserbed_10.jpg

whats the clearance between the platform and the floor of the truck? looks like it could be loaded up with a good amount of stuff.

whats the clearance between the platform and the floor of the truck? looks like it could be loaded up with a good amount of stuff.

The frame underneath the platform is the limiting factor...there's about 12 3/4" between it and the floor. I think it's enough for the small Rubber Maid Action Packers...

its a nice system and it looks great. can it be removed easly if you had to move a large item such as furniture?

It'll come out but it's not necessarily quick and easy. It will be a permanent fixture for me unless I decide I just don't need it some day. I have a trailer for hauling duties...

bet its goingto be nice and comfortable, now its just time to get a good mattress for the truck. you could use an outdoor furniture cushion, you could find one here Outdoor Cushions | HomeDecorators.com or get creative and and make one to fit the size of the platform.

Thanks for the link! I've started looking for a mattress or pad but haven't decided on anything yet.

go with the furniture cushion, i have one and love it. very durable and most are water and uv resistant fabrics so no worrys about what happens to it. if it ever gets dirty, hose it off in the back yard, low matainance.

That is quite sexy! It would be cool if there was a way that you could temporarily keep the extensions over the 2nd row in an upright position incase of a unexpected passenger during a trip.
Great work!

I can probably thank the 'sexy' comments to the 2 coats of polyurethane and aluminum trim which I saw on someone else's system.

What kind of unexpected passenger are you thinking? Animal?

That look great. Plus, it'll serve as a security cover for stuff in the back.

Where did you get the black edging? That's a nice touch.

Man, very nice work. Is that 1"x1" tubing?

I especially like the clean flush fit with the tailgate.

Very nice work. I really like how it's tied into the body. Thanks for the pix and write up.
Also, Costco has some memory foam mattress toppers that might work well in there.
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom