Builds Skips FJ 35 BUILD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A welder and fabricator is never without options. I wish I had known you were looking for a Leg vise. I'm a full time blacksmith and I have about 4 sitting behind the shop.
It always comes up after you need something. Wanting to get back into some blacksmithing arena just to come up with a few things, anything serious will have to be formed with a power hammer.

It always comes up after you need something. Wanting to get back into some blacksmithing arena just to come up with a few things, anything serious will have to be formed with a power hammer.
I'm a full time blacksmith, I do have a power hammer but I rarely use it. A forging press is much more handy to have, especially for Damascus.

Couple questions: Did you extend the tabs under the dash where you mounted the upper bolts for the steering column? Do you plan to add any structure inside the dash to support those tabs where it is bolted?

I ask as I am going to try to use the column from my FZJ80 donor, minus the ignition switch assembly.

Couple questions: Did you extend the tabs under the dash where you mounted the upper bolts for the steering column? Do you plan to add any structure inside the dash to support those tabs where it is bolted?

I ask as I am going to try to use the column from my FZJ80 donor, minus the ignition switch assembly.
I did not, it is bolted to the firewall real solid and I think the dash is a sufficient
Attachment after looking at the original contact point. The dash bolt holes matched right up.

As you can see I am inching my way, thought I would get a bit more done
3B9B521C-0256-4A34-B592-D92A42BF254A.png
71FAD34C-335E-41ED-90E2-BD6200F3C6E4.png
71FAD34C-335E-41ED-90E2-BD6200F3C6E4.png

before Christmas. A better shot of the Sag steering box install be glad when all this welding is behind me.

B1BEEE76-8410-4F8C-8728-5316F9ED69E7.png

Another addition, the frame ends after the rear axel are the next part of the puzzle. Future endeavors, engine install and tub floors not sure what order it will be or at the same time.

I'm a full time blacksmith, I do have a power hammer but I rarely use it. A forging press is much more handy to have, especially for Damascus.
Just looked up a forging press that was cool and yes I see why you have one makes little work to move hot metal.

Just looked up a forging press that was cool and yes I see why you have one makes little work to move hot metal.
I teach classes and seminars on blacksmithing, it's most likely the number one question that I get asked. If you could only have one, which one would you have. Forging press or power hammer? Forging press is hands down the winner. Rolling mill is next. Press to squish, rolling mill to draw it out into a consistent thickness. The rest can be worked with a hammer and anvil.

I teach classes and seminars on blacksmithing, it's most likely the number one question that I get asked. If you could only have one, which one would you have. Forging press or power hammer? Forging press is hands down the winner. Rolling mill is next. Press to squish, rolling mill to draw it out into a consistent thickness. The rest can be worked with a hammer and anvil.
What little I know I would agree. I took a class last summer and had a partner as we shared striking for each other. Learning that process tought me a bunch as well as learning that swinging a 12 pounder was not my favorite thing in the hot weather. I wished you lived closer be good to talk Toyota’s and Blacksmithing as they are in the same category of building in my book, just pure fun.

What little I know I would agree. I took a class last summer and had a partner as we shared striking for each other. Learning that process tought me a bunch as well as learning that swinging a 12 pounder was not my favorite thing in the hot weather. I wished you lived closer be good to talk Toyota’s and Blacksmithing as they are in the same category of building in my book, just pure fun.
BTW where are you located in Montana, I get up to Hamilton in the summer on occasion.

Spent some time yesterday preping and welding up the underside of the frame plates. Turned out nice just the way I wanted it to. One of my most unfavorite Jobs is cleaning up after myself but a must do so I can keep my sanity so I spent some time putting stuff away and getting rid of the clutter. Pics of the process as I progressed moving the frame out to get the tub off and flipping the frame for the welding below. Today I am picking up my sandblasting, along with some hubs that were powder coated so I need to pick them up. I am fussy who blasts my stuff so the big panels stay straight, so that s person is a bit of a drive and chewing up part of the day, all fun and games.
63318FC2-302C-4007-90E6-AF4AFA68A304.jpeg
8B2E9E51-BDA2-4145-BFE5-C2766BD2BB51.jpeg
4A479B75-0239-4B73-87D3-58F73628BE0F.jpeg
4A528A28-E6BB-47E5-9E42-4DE00C98A1D5.jpeg
D10BF2B4-616D-49BC-A84A-D87454123068.jpeg

Need some help!!!
Question, as the rear spring goes up and down flexing how much does the center pin go back and forth. Reason I want is to set the bed side panels on the bed frame and be able to adjust for this movement of the wheel wells. I know it depends on the flex of the spring, must be some formula out there for this. TNX up front for your participation.

Depends on the arch of the spring at ride height.

To find the arc, attach a string at the spring hanger that's the length of your intended spring, from fixed eye to center pin. Estimate your ride height and intended travel and move the string vertically that amount. Boom, you have your spring pin movement.

If your spring is relatively flat, it'll only move rearwards (for a rear spring) maybe a half an inch under compression. Depending how much droop you have, it may move forward two or three inches when fully drooped out.

Playing around somehow I came up with about 1/2” in my mind no rime or reason. However now I will be able to prove this and make sure that the placement is correct. TNX a bunch for the numbers and the process to figure out this process for placement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom