Sixth Annual 100s in the Hills Trip Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get on I40 in NC and drive all the way to Albuquerque. Then North to Silverton.

On the way out, I drive I20 to meet up with the LA guys in Monroe, then we met the TX guys in Dallas, then to Albuquerque, then to Silverton.
Coming home, I hop on I40 all the way to Memphis, then go on I22 to Birmingham.
How many days for you to make this trip as described?

How many days for you to make this trip as described?
2 1/2 from Birmingham. Probably 3 for you from the Carolinas. We start a thread to plan our route and have people join along the way.

I need to get on the list for this. Just cleared two trips with the wife and this is the most important one to me.

I am getting together old parts for possible break-downs on the trail or to do a repair in camp. Things happen, and it would be nice if there were some options to get back out on the trails the next day. Especially for those that will be traveling from far away. Currently I have my old front drive axles and a few other things. If anyone else can think of items to donate to the "break-down kit" then speak up.

Too bad nobody brought a Tacoma rear axle last year for HIH 6!:rimshot:

As an attendee of the 6th, I highly recommend it. the GF and I had a blast and I can only foresee it getting better. Hell, just the raffle chances makes the event worth it.
Hey Rami! I'm sure because you had such fun people to hang out with

Love it. @paflytyer and I are stoked that the HIH chatter has started.

Speaking of stoked, I just walked through the logistics of this trip and got wife sign off to take our two older kids (if I'm able to get a spot).

Color me elated at the possibility of making this a reality.

@bluecruiser @paflytyer
You guys have won Sarah big time for this event! So far this is the only 4x4 event she gets excited and can't even think of NOT participating! Whenever I brought up something that somehow could keep us from going I immediately got the evil look!
We are stoked that comes march we'll reduce the driving time by 10hrs! See you all on the mountains!

I'd love the dates for HIH7 so I can start battling the wife for vacation days.

I've been thinking about this trip since I missed out on last years event.

Come hell or high water I'll be there.

Last edited:
Lots of east coast guys planning on coming out it looks like.
Any plans to meet up at a certain location on the trip and convoy it out in 100 style?!

Lots of east coast guys planning on coming out it looks like.
Any plans to meet up at a certain location on the trip and convoy it out in 100 style?!

Coming from Nashville would you go up to St. Louis and take 70 or would you drop down to 40?

On most of my past drives to CO/WY/MT I take I-40 to Amarillo then shoot northwest up into CO.

Coming from Nashville would you go up to St. Louis and take 70 or would you drop down to 40?

On most of my past drives to CO/WY/MT I take I-40 to Amarillo then shoot northwest up into CO.

Well the fastest route (by like 1 hour) would be to the St Louis then I-70 route, but I would happily take I-40 instead if it meant meeting up with a bunch of other rigs. Looks like I-40 makes the most sense for you in Alabama.
If other east coast guys want to chime in with their routes we could pick a spot on I-40 --- we all have to stop for gas ..... a lot!! :hillbilly:

Well the fastest route (by like 1 hour) would be to the St Louis then I-70 route, but I would happily take I-40 instead if it meant meeting up with a bunch of other rigs. Looks like I-40 makes the most sense for you in Alabama.
If other east coast guys want to chime in with their routes we could pick a spot on I-40 --- we all have to stop for gas ..... a lot!! :hillbilly:

Since I missed out on last years Group Event, my gf and I decided to go ride the San Juan's on our own... We took turns driving from Alabama and made it to Ridgeway, CO right at 28 hours. Lol, I beat up the magnetic strip on my fuel card preeety bad on that trip.

Honestly, I've taken just about every route imaginable from Bama to CO and no single route is better than another in my opinion. So long as you don't mind the endless corn fields of Kansas, lol. I'd be willing to meet up anywhere, I don't mind the driving.

If you hit the 40 there are always all the Alabama, Louisiana and Texas guys on that route! Actually there are quite a few trucks from the south heading to Silverton!

If you hit the 40 there are always all the Alabama, Louisiana and Texas guys on that route! Actually there are quite a few trucks from the south heading to Silverton!

I was in silverton in August and I loved the town. I think we stayed at a sight above the town that night.

During HIH, what do you think most antendees plan to do? Stay at the inns or will there be a group camp spot?

I was in silverton in August and I loved the town. I think we stayed at a sight above the town that night.

During HIH, what do you think most antendees plan to do? Stay at the inns or will there be a group camp spot?
Major group camp at the ski resort for 2017!
There were a few who picked a room at the ins or cabins, but the vast majority were camping! It depends on your requirements (and those accompanying you) for comfort, quietness and luxury while on an 4x4 event!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom