shower (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After living underhood for three years in fairly extreme heat (usually over 85 degrees ambient temp) plus some quality time in Baja (over 110 ambient temps)... our flojet pump still pumps fine.

Having said that- I think that I would choose a different location in the future just for ease of access and cleanliness- under the hood tends to be dirty and the last thing I want to do after a shower is go rooting around in there to disconnect hoses from the shower...

An alternative would be to run the hoses to a disconnect somewhere on the bumper, but so far I've been too lazy to do that! :)

Could one use Air hose quick connects for the water lines? Just a thought.. I have garden hose connections on the front of my truck but even that's slow! :)

i have seen the air disconnects mounted right out of the fender apron on a 40. worked fine. but he did have plugs to put in the fittings to keep trash out. Seemed to be very important to seal when in use.

There is another way to make the heat exchanger. You can wrap the copper tubign around the exhaust pipe near the header. Works Amazingly well.

tornadoalleycruiser said:
Could one use Air hose quick connects for the water lines? Just a thought.. I have garden hose connections on the front of my truck but even that's slow! :)

I am using some fairly heavy duty air hose couplers. I had them laying around from a previous job. They are overkill, but should work great. I plan on leaving the pump installed under the hood. It will probably last longer than I will own this Cruiser anyways.

Chad

Mace said:
There is another way to make the heat exchanger. You can wrap the copper tubign around the exhaust pipe near the header. Works Amazingly well.

I did this many years ago on a pickup truck to heat up windshield fluid. I assume that you've done this? If so, you have any idea what the temp diff between the inlet and the outlet is?

kcsmithson said:
I am using some fairly heavy duty air hose couplers. I had them laying around from a previous job. They are overkill, but should work great. I plan on leaving the pump installed under the hood. It will probably last longer than I will own this Cruiser anyways.

Chad

Chad,

Are these couplers SS? Be sure to post some pics when you're done so that I can copy :D

Ali

Great thread, let's keep this one going.

Grouseman

spressomon said:
I read an article about bending the tubing: Take table salt and crush it to a fine powder in a blender or spice grinder. Cap one end of the copper tubing...using a funnel fill the tube with the fine salt powder; cap the other end. Carefully bend the tubing around a broomstick or whatever; you may, to prevent surface deformation, need to make/use a wooden mandrel to bend the tubing. When completed empty the salt, rinsing with hot water...

I had somebody else suggest filling the tube the other day, thanks! Haven't started on this yet, but I'm making up a shopping list--still looks like I can do it for less than $200--even cheaper if I could score some scrap 3" copper :)

Exiled said:
While flipping through my archives I came across these three shots I saved from a really old thread on the Pirate board that talked about onboard showers. I don't remember who the owner was, but the setup was really clean!

:eek:
That's a nice clean install, but the hot and cold valves have me wondering--how the heck did he do that? You'd have to split the output of the water pump--instead of feeding all of it through the exchanger you'd have to route half (the "cold") directly to the faucets...that's a lot of plumbing. I love the access hatch--sweet!

flowman said:
:eek:
That's a nice clean install, but the hot and cold valves have me wondering--how the heck did he do that? You'd have to split the output of the water pump--instead of feeding all of it through the exchanger you'd have to route half (the "cold") directly to the faucets...that's a lot of plumbing. I love the access hatch--sweet!

My guess was two pumps. Dunno.

Actually the Blue mini that was shown in previous pics has the exhuast setup. He had to run the cold line. It worked too well at heating the water.

Where exactly do you put the heat exchanger? Does any one have any pics?

In a heater line.

On a 2F it replaces the hard heater line right above the dist.

ahhh thanks.

Brian

ttt.

I'd like to see some more set ups if you have pics. I am about to install mine and am trying to figure out the best place to put the fittings. I want to have both cold and hot out- which makes 3 fittings including the water in. Space is so cramped on the Cruiser.
Right now my favorite options are
* tucked up inside the passenger front fender (but its muddy there)
* trim that same fender and mount on the frame (also muddy there)
* on the front of the frame between the bib and the winch, pointing up. (This seems like the best spot, but I am not sure just how I will pull it off.)
* under the hood. My least favorite option, but its also got the most room for the valving and a place to put the on off switch. I might make a remote switch on an extension cord that can be easy to get to without running to turn the pump off under the hood.

Trollhole has a killer set up that all mounts to the side of his tub. Pretty slick but I am not too keen on plugging through the tub. What is great about it is that the valving is removeable, so it takes less space on the Cruiser.

just rambling thoughts..

-Dustin

You could also come off the front Right behind the bumper. My idea was to have it as close to the engine as possible that way I'm getting some heat from the fan also and I can throw my towels on the hood so they will be nice and warm after a shower. But It is a little loud but we earplugs I don't mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom