Should I ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess I assumed most of us don't buy these trucks with credit. Banks probably dont lend for this age of a used car... (not to say that it doesn't happen, home equity lines of credit, other financing methods) I dont know many people with 35k cash laying around...but you're right. I shouldn't assume.

I assumed the same. Outside of these high rate lenders I couldn't find any to finance my dream. But if I could, I would probably have been looking to do the same as the OP. Money on a well-restored cruiser is money much better spent than on a new vehicle in my opinion. I know I couldn't pay cash for that one and had to settle for a much lower cost truck with higher miles. Assuming nothing goes wrong with mine, by the time I get done with all the wanted mods and fixes it needs, I still would not be in $35,000 territory for the truck I have. Just saying. But I'll have to do a lot of work myself and it will take a long time to get done. If the OP has a way to finance this then its IMHO money well spent, still cheaper TCO than a newer vehicle, and much better engineered.

The one difference for me between an LC and a newer car is parts availability. Everyone says, "with a cruiser, I can fix it myself". True, but only if the parts are available. My one nightmare about owning my 60 series is someday needing a repair that requires a non-available part. More and more of these OEM parts are drying up and we 60 series owners are living on borrowed time with regards to being able to even fix our vehicles, facilitated only by the miracle that is Mr. T still making a wide selection of 60 series parts 30 years on. There are a ton of clever folks on this forum that come up with all sorts of ways to solve parts availability problems, so maybe not that big an issue. Just something I worry about and would be the one thing that drives me to a Toyota dealer to pick up a new Tacoma.

I wouldn't have near the fun in an F150 as I do in my 60 series.

Well I saved money for the last five years to fix my Fj60. I am not finacing. But I saw this truck and thought it looked good. The cost to repair mine is real close to the same.

I do not know how some guys get work done so cheap. I just do not know what to do.

fair point... I guess I assumed most of us don't buy these trucks with credit. Banks probably dont lend for this age of a used car... (not to say that it doesn't happen, home equity lines of credit, other financing methods) I dont know many people with 35k cash laying around...but you're right. I shouldn't assume.

most people buying a new 40K+ tacoma/tundra/colorado are doing dealer or credit union financing. I'd be curious to hear how most folks acquired their cruisers.

as for me: i had 7K in my slush fund, and I got 7K for a tacoma I sold...so those funds bought my 88 FJ62.
My bank financed my 60 without hesitation. I paid significantly less than it’s worth though, so that may have something to do with it. With good credit you can finance a Yugo if you wanted.

I got my 60 for $1850 from my uncle, 16 years ago. Not counting what my parents put in it for my 350 swap for a HS graduation gift. I’ve got about 3k into new tires, wheels, door cards, speakers, dash cap, knuckle rebuild kit, rear disk brake kit, rear wheel bearings, stainless brake lines, new gauges, miscellaneous tune up parts, etc. a lot of which isn’t done yet, just sitting in the garage.

I could easily spend another 5-10k and likely will eventually, to end up with a 5-speed, probably a new short block at some point, paint, new front and re-upholstered rear seat.

Is this a US vehicle that has had an engine swap or a LHD import? Pity about the automatic trans, they really suck the power out of the engine. You really notice it you have driven an auto and manual back to back, but I wouldnt see it as a deal breaker.

A lot of 12HT parts are interchangeable or can be modified from 2H parts like the crank and camshaft. As far as I know Denso still sell all the fuel injection parts needed to rebuild the injection pump and injectors. But the inj pump and engine are are well known to last 500000 miles with proper maintenance.
The Vacuum Solenoid Valve that shuts the engine down is impossible to get new and hard to get used but I'm pretty sure there is a work around.
Engines Australia sell quality rebuild kits for this engine and they are much cheaper than OEM (if you can get them).
You do need to be an enthusiast to own one these days.

Last edited:
Hmmm, that is a quandry. The truck looks really nice. The diesel is a sweet option. It looks clean. Tough decision. Good luck making this decision...

What does a virtually rust free 1986 FJ60 with all of the OEM emissions equipment (working), ~196K miles and OME steering stabilizer, OME heavy fr/rr springs/lift, 33" BFG MT tires, ARB fr/rr bumpers (same fr bumper as the OPs link), ARB full roof rack, OEM toolkit, Tuffy locking console (no longer available from Tuffy), Warn 8274-50, extra/spare Aisin rebuilt carb, and nearly factory wet/dry compression (~3000 miles ago) on all 6 cylinders go for?
Cyl: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Dry: 165 165 160 160 155 165
Wet: 180 180 175 180 180 180

I may be selling the above truck later this spring. It was a TX truck. I bought it (stock) from the original owner ~25-30K miles ago but I just don't drive it much anymore. Much of the mechanical work on the truck was done by a highly acclaimed LandCruiser mechanic in this area.

No, I'm not trying to thread-jack this thread. If there's an issue with this post I'll delete everything except the top line.

Last edited:
I don’t see how you could possibly spend $30k on any landcruiser 60 and not have it be better than new.

Even rebuilding the engine from scratch (if it’s a 2F), if you do only the assembly yourself with no tools to start with and only paid for parts and machining, had to buy a cherry picker and hand tools, and some electric impact guns...
and had to rent a separate garage for $250 a month...
Then rebuild your axles yourself for about $500 in parts and 1 day each.
And buy a used mig welder, watch YouTube and learn how to use it,
Then Plated your frame yourself.
And then after all that learning and expense,
You could rebuild the tranny yourself too.
Total cost $0, when you realize you can fix other people’s cruisers in your area for $100/hour.

You own the technological equivalent of, literally, a 1930’s tractor.

Or

There are old mechanics who charge $55 an hour who don’t know what inflation is that you could have them do 350 hours of work, and still spend $10,000 worth of parts. ($30k total)

Tldr
Do it yourself
Or
Find the old school mechanic
Or
Just buy it

Is this a US vehicle that has had an engine swap or a LHD import?

By looking at the VIN, (JT1W0HJ6100954891) i'd say it is imported, also the front fenders don't have the vents that are typical of US models. Never know though, people do crazy things to vehicles....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom