should I get this HDJ-80? (pics inside) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.linkedin.com
03Dec2003 (UTC -8)

A nice guy (but I haven't met yet) is offering to sell me his 1996 HDJ-80 (turbo-diesel) with about 81,000mi on it. It's got a busted driver power window and side-view mirror, some cosmetic issues on the interior seats and exterior body, and a 5-speed stick shift that has some issues downshifting to 2nd from 3rd. For about $18,200. Other than that, Seller says it's been serviced according to schedule by Toyota dealer.

How much in repairs will this cost me? Specially the tranny part?

pic two of six

pic three of six

pic four of six

As you can see, no front/rear diff lockers...

Oops sorry. There are only five pics. This is pic five of five

BTW, this unit is in the Philippines, so that's why I haven't met the guy yet nor seen the 'Cruiser myself.

Aside from the cool unique factor, how easy for you will it be to get parts? - I'd sooner put money into a 80 you can easily obtain parts for myself.

That price include shipping, import tariff, licencing, or whatever smog type fees that you need to do to drive it on U.S. streets? If not that seems a bit steep since the sharp drop in Cruiser prices in the last ~18 months. Especiallly since it needs tranny work (on a tranny that it might be a PITA to get parts for) from the get go and it doesn't even have lockers.

Another consideration would be that you couldn't just run this as your only car if repair parts are hard(er) to come by since you'de run into shipping delays for grey market parts even longer than a USA market rig. So that USA part that was 3 days out will turn into a part that might be 2 weeks out, if that. Now imagine that scenario happening on a road trip.

Hate to rain on your parade, but IMHO I'd pass. If you really want one that bad I bet you could come across a better example to bring over for all the money this one would probably cost you.

I bet C-Dan would be able to give an accurate idea of parts availability, so I'd let his opinion from behind the parts counter give you the best direction on buying a foreign Cruiser be the deal maker or breaker.

FWIW, Toyota is supposed to support grey market vehicles here in the U.S., but from my experience trying to get German (E-code) headlights using "my" VIN# I've gotten nowhere. I've had better luck witha friend in Finland on sourcing grey market parts than any support I've gotten from the local parts counter, but then again C-Dan ain't my local dealer either.

Parts are the easy part.... :D

But I would prefer a tailgate model over a barn door model......

Drexx,

If you buy that one, you need to sell me your 95 HDJ-80L. :D You don't have enough room for any more Cruisers!! :flipoff2:

DREXX,your post just begs the ?......how did you get your current diesel80 into the states? I notice the 80 series shown here(w/barn doors,which i wish were optioned here on our FZJ's)also seems to have a non airbag steering wheel,and if so,does this affect your ability/cost of getting it here to the states?

inquiring minds want to know???

doug

It was my understanding that Drexx was leaving and taking his Cruisers with him (at least the diesel).

I think the synchros are about $16 each US dollars for that tranny. Don't ask, I got them by mistake for my h55f rebuild. Dealing with non USA parts at the local dealer is a nightmare. Taking it apart and putting it back together is the tough part. I'd find a really reputable shop that has worked on Toyota Trannies before.

Any value in the US would be inflated due to the disireability/unavailibility of the diesel 80. So I would seek out values from folks in the Phillipines.

05Dec2003 (UTC -8)

Thank you gents for your replies. Firstly, I was not the original importer of my current HDJ-80. It was by a Czech guy who got tired of it and sold it, and after a long story, eventually ended up with me (I was the fastest and craziest one who bet a huge $um that I can get it registered in Kalifornia, taking heed of doomsayers but went ahead anyway --without hassle from DMV and California Highway Patrol, I found out later).

But anyway, I'm going home to the Philippines for several years to work on some much-needed projects, and I need a good, reliable ride, so that's why I was looking for another HDJ-80. By my dumb luck again this is the potentially cheapest one yet, and by a rich original owner. :cheers:

My current California HDJ-80 may or may not go home with me. I do plan on coming back here in USA often, so that's why I'm keeping my house too. ;)

BTW, did you know that FZJ-80 US versions are more coveted back home? :p Wanna trade?

I, like many others, am willing to take care of your 80 while your gone and also strongly encourage you to buy the one you are looking at. All you need to do is fly me over with you and I will rebuild you trans and maintain the others you will buy. I mean you are already addicted, you can't stop with just that one....
I hope you have a good time and stay safe over there.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom