Should I get a Rugged Ridge winch or entry level Warn VR EVO? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I blew the motor on my old discontinued Superwinch EP series and cannot find replacement parts. Was thinking about getting a new winch.
A shop I have been dealing with is an authorized Rugged Ridge dealer and they are trying to sell me on this:
Trekker Winch, 12,500 LBS, Synthetic Rope, IP68 Waterproof, Wireless

I don't know anything about Rugged Ridge winches and I don't know anyone who is running one. Additionally, there are basically no reviews or testimonials online.

For about $300 more I can get a Warn VR EVO 12-S "entry level" winch:
https://www.warn.com/vr-evo-12-s-103255

Warn is a brand I know and trust but I do have an open mind and this reputable shop is telling me that the Rugged Ridge is just as reliable as the Warn and I am skeptical.
I am hoping somebody on here can help out with an opinion. I don't mind spending a little more to get the Warn but the features on the Rugged Ridge and the price are making me think twice. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome here. Thanks in advance!

IMG_7532.jpg

Imo, $ for $ your best money spent is buying a good used Warn. Not their "entry level" bs.

Market segment sales and ignorant customers have flooded all markets with toooo much garbage.

These deals are out there all the time.
Screenshot_20200211-085622.png

Thanks for the info!
Very helpful and I am definitely going to get a Warn as it is a trusted brand with great warranty.

If you have any questions about our products, don't hesitate to reach out. Happy to assist.

Andy

Thanks Andy!

After doing some research and talking to people, I am 100% set on getting a Warn winch.
I am going with the VR EVO 12-S.
My local preferred shop is a Warn dealer and I have already made arrangements to get it installed there.

I'm running the two generation old 87840 VR10000S. I've beat it up and its never given me issues. I let the rope fray, so I'm going to replace it soon, but I've kept a cover on it. I liked the styling of the older winch more, as it resembles the M series.

It was down to a Smittybuilt or the Warn, I paid a little extra for the Warn and I'm very happy.

warn-vr10000-winch-87840.jpg

I’m a Warn fanboy on the fact they support their winches after sale with parts & service literature.

That & the rare rebuild every so often & you’re golden.

I got my 1st M12K used for ~$400 & tore it down/rebuilt it - it just needed new grease / fresh paint job more than anything.

Another vote for the used ''real'' Warn over new junk. I've been able to revive a couple that others had given up on for nothing but time, including one that was a horrible ball of corrosion, inside and out. All are still in service.

If you havent bought one yet, you may be able to use one of the motors this guy is selling. He bought up a huge supply of superwinch's stock when they got bought out a year or 2 ago. Good place to get factory synthetic marlow rope too. I've dealt with him a bit, bought some albright solenoids, and 10 rolls of line, and a winch controller. Might be worth checking out.

The VR series is a decent winch for the price. I'm pretty sure that it is better than other cheap Chinese-made winches, though probably not as good as the Zeon and M series. Try to check out 4wheelonline. They have some good deals on winches. I got my Zeon from them.

The VR series is a decent winch for the price. I'm pretty sure that it is better than other cheap Chinese-made winches, though probably not as good as the Zeon and M series. Try to check out 4wheelonline. They have some good deals on winches. I got my Zeon from them.

Thanks, my loc

Thanks, got mine installed by my local shop they’re an authorized dealer.

2FB37141-CB43-4CC7-B39F-5477E1A21ED7.jpeg

If you have any questions about our products, don't hesitate to reach out. Happy to assist.

Andy

would @Warn Industries have a problem with me fitting a breather to the winch motor housing? I would like to run a breather hose into a manifold to prevent any condensation build up in the winch.

@Warn Industries , Andy I always want to find a rebuildable 8274 could I buy parts to build my own winch? Do I need certain parts to be able to rebuild?
I see a lot of times people selling but hard to tell if it's worth rebuilding. Pardon the hijack guys.

Junior80, we typically don't recommend people modifying the product as it can void the warranty.

Andy

No worries. Can you tell me what this is? It’s in the bar now and I can’t get my eye in line with it to see whats in the hole, is this something I can attach a breather to?

Winch is a vr evo 10s

CD53FD0E-B7B3-4257-8D65-87B8E51E3E44.jpeg

FE38F380-F1C4-4386-A9E8-0C7F6A12EF2C.jpeg

Eager to hear how the VR Evo works out for you. Seems like people have mixed feelings about Warn these days. I'll probably get a Evo If I cant find a good used Warn that will fit a BIOR tube bumper.

Well I’ll make sure I update this thread then. I’m absolutely gagging to go get it stuck and winch myself out but it’s goin to be a couple months before I get the chance.

@Warn Industries , Andy I always want to find a rebuildable 8274 could I buy parts to build my own winch? Do I need certain parts to be able to rebuild?
I see a lot of times people selling but hard to tell if it's worth rebuilding. Pardon the hijack guys.

It will totally depend on what needs to replaced, if certain parts are missing, etc. The winch pages on warn.com all have exploded-view diagrams under the Manuals & Literature tabs.

No worries. Can you tell me what this is? It’s in the bar now and I can’t get my eye in line with it to see whats in the hole, is this something I can attach a breather to?

Winch is a vr evo 10s

View attachment 2381647
View attachment 2381650

Hmm ... not sure on that one. You might give customer service a call at 800-543-9276.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom