Should I Get a 200?! (1 Viewer)

Get a 200 or No?!

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yea I don't get the hate for minivans either. All LC200 enthusiasts can certainly appreciate the purpose built design of the 200, and the focused design mission of a minivan is of the same vien. They serve a purpose just as a 200 service its purpose.

I would rather get a minivan than a highlander. Highlanders suck at everything. Minivans are incredible at doing what it was designed to do... practically haul people, carry lots of stuff, awesome sliding door.

I would rather get a minivan than a highlander. Highlanders suck at everything. Minivans are incredible at doing what it was designed to do... practically haul people, carry lots of stuff, awesome sliding door.

The newest minivans do even better than that. They have all the latest in safety systems and are all 5 star rated. These are designed to haul the most precious of cargos and the manufacturers design them accordingly. Commercial cargo vans don't even come close. lol.

You know what? There is nothing wrong with choosing any Toyota vehicle, but for my money, why not the best? I have a 2008 LC that I mostly use to tow a trailer and drive daily. It hauls building material, including tile, bags of mortar, plywood, you name it. I have 174K on the clock and it never fails to start and gets 16mpg. For me, the LC 200 is the best vehicle I could drive, all around. It is luxurious when you need it to be, hauls the whole tribe, tows, and will go off road when I need to escape the Zombie Apocalypse. If I should have a drunk driver cross the center line, he will likely lose unless he is in a semi, and I will likely walk away. Safety is first rate. Your family deserves it. Buy one and you will not look back. I promise you that. If you do, you can probably re-sell it quickly. Try that with a Porsche Cayenne.

^Right. Some people here are trying to make a hard line as to what is best. Only the individual can answer that based on their needs!

To me, my 200-series is absolutely the best tool for the job. It's our 3rd vehicle, weekend car. It hauls 8 people around when family is visiting. It tows my 7700lb trailer. It takes me to the ends of the roads, and past for our road trip excursion to far flung destinations. In utter comfort, reliability, and safety. Sure, some vehicles handle aspects of each better. But no vehicle brings it all together the way the 200-series does for my uses. That makes it by far the best for me, regardless if others judge it otherwise.

Honorable mention to mini-vans. I admire them as they truly are a swiss knife with incredible competencies at handling families. Just not for me.

I would rather get a minivan than a highlander. Highlanders suck at everything.

Except being one of the highest rated SUV's by several organizations. And being incredibly reliable. And very safe. And amazing in lousy weather.

I wish my 200-series was as reliable as our 14 year old Highlander has been, but it's not been the case, and I've only had the 200 for less than a year. And yes, our old Highlander will run rings around my Cruiser in crummy weather. I've tried to replace it several times but my wife refuses, she loves the thing. She wrecked it last week, estimate is over $4500, and State Farm is having it fixed, even though it's just about to roll over 200K miles. She's in a minivan rental now and hates it. HATES it.

I love my 200, but it's all in your perspective.

It's a worthy discussion, but there are just too many factors to ever authoritatively state priorities for anyone else.
-Financial, family, activity, travel style, space, terrain, priorities, location...and on and on.

I think we all realize it's almost silly to ask for a definitive answer of whether someone should choose the LC since we only fully know our own situation.

For ME, the Land Cruiser is my DREAM vehicle, and has been my dream vehicle ever since I was a teenager. Despite recently turning 50...and owning either my 100 or 200 for about 17 years...it is STILL my dream vehicle. Heck, I still turn and glance at it in the parking lot, and memories of adventures come streaming back...followed by visions of future adventures in my head. So it literally IS my "dream" vehicle.

Despite the sacrifices it takes for me to afford one on my budget...I have NEVER regretted my purchase. Never.
Heck, my beast is currently my DD! (silly)...so it's not just a weekend toy (though it would be smart to get a cheap DD).

Bottom line Q for me is--Are you a Cruiser FAN?
If you're not a Cruiser FAN...and unless money is no object...
-There are plenty of other worthy tools to consider.

But if you ARE a fan?
I hope you find a way that buying one makes sense for ya.

Last edited:
I thought this thread was mainly about how to haul a growing family and IMO that doesn't mean just 4 people. It means at least 6 or else 3rd row isn't even needed.

Except being one of the highest rated SUV's by several organizations. And being incredibly reliable. And very safe. And amazing in lousy weather.

Maybe “sucks” was a poor choice of wording. A highlander is a tweener; it tries to be an all-for-one but is “meh” at everything. It’s trying to be a minivan for people who hate minivans, but has but has none of the SUV benefits (except height), nor none of the minivan benefits (sliding door, removable seats,etc). Is it reliable? Sure! It’s a Toyota! Is it practical? I guess if you need a something that does a little bit of everything, just not well. This is just my opinion, but if your main purpose is people hauler, get the sienna. I rented one once and really like how it drove.

Maybe “sucks” was a poor choice of wording. A highlander is a tweener; it tries to be an all-for-one but is “meh” at everything. It’s trying to be a minivan for people who hate minivans, but has but has none of the SUV benefits (except height), nor none of the minivan benefits (sliding door, removable seats,etc). Is it reliable? Sure! It’s a Toyota! Is it practical? I guess if you need a something that does a little bit of everything, just not well. This is just my opinion, but if your main purpose is people hauler, get the sienna. I rented one once and really like how it drove.

I see the Highlander as basically a roomy sedan...in the tradition of station wagons.
Underneath it's SUV exterior, it's essentially a "Camry Wagon."

Through that lens, it is a great, reliable choice.

I see the Highlander as basically a roomy sedan...in the tradition of station wagons.
Underneath it's SUV exterior, it's essentially a "Camry Wagon."

Through that lens, it is a great, reliable choice.
I saw somewhere a "crossover SUV hater" called them WOTTs -- "Wagons On Tall Tires".

I saw somewhere a "crossover SUV hater" called them WOTTs -- "Wagons On Tall Tires".

Ya...kinda accurate, though I really don’t get the hate part. It’s not like Toyota pretends they are 4-Wheelers...

If anyone invites ridicule, I think it would be Jeep...who poses their little “econo-car” Renegade model as some sort of rock crawler in their TV ads... :)

Last edited:
Ya...kinda accurate, though I really don’t get the hate part. It’s not like Toyota pretends they are 4-Wheelers...

If anyone invites ridicule, I think it would be Jeep...who poses their little “econo-car” Renegade model as some sort of rock crawler in their TV ads... :)

The hater was probably driving an old jacked Subaru outback LOL There's a guy around here with a 90's subie with AT LEAST 12" clear under the rear diff. It looks like it must handle like s*** but it's dirty as hell whenever I see it ;)

So I actually sat through the full 25+ minute video.
-"Entertaining" in a similar fashion to stomaching a "Hoarders: Buried Alive" episode.
It's the odd fascination with watching a complete train wreck.

Compared within the context of other horrible vehicle's decade of manufacture...
...this is a easily a cadidate for the worst vehicle design of all time

Just stunningly bad.

Last edited:
sooooooo, anything I should lookout for with the 5.7?

Your fuel bill.

The third row in the 4Runner is kind of pointless. Very uncomfortable and no room behind it when in use. The third row in the LC isn't great either, but probably roomier than the 4Runner.

If you really need to use the third row, then neither the 4Runner nor the LC are best for you. If you need to use the third row often, then consider the Sienna, the Highlander, or the Sequoia. All three have a much better third row than the LC.

Agree with M1911 - I DD a built 80 and my wife went from driving a 4WD Sequoia for 10+ years that she loved with all kinds of room 3rd seat and cargo room but because of the running around with the kids gas at the time she transitioned into a 2015 Highlander and hasn't looked back. Its great on fuel, comfortable commuter and on pavement trips plenty cargo room and when you need the 3rd seat it is usable pulls out of the floor and the 2nd row is adjustable for 3rd seat legroom. She refused to be a minivan Mom as well. I now have a 200 as a DD and it will be our get away vehicle or at least its training to be :cheers:

The family is growing and I need more room in the wife's vehicle and a little more luxury wouldn't hurt... She has a '11 4Runner Limited 4WD that she really has liked and I have a 100 series that I absolutely love. So the question is, get a newer 4Runner with third row or bite the bullet and get a '13 or newer 200 Series? Are they as tough as a 100? Any issues with the 5.7L? Anything I need to look out for when inspecting these rigs? Thanks in advance for your help!!

I'd get the used 200 series. The 5.7 is a great engine made at Tahara by artisans. If you keep the rust off her should last 25 years. Lot of threads on what to look for. You will love your LX/LC. Let us know what you find/buy.

Great thread here, I've been window shopping between a GX470/460 thinking in another year and a half or so most 100 series will be out of the picture, and then I realized 08-09' 200 series is the same ballpark and similar approach/dept. angles as a 10-13' GX460, but with MUCH MORE. MPG differences are minor between the 2, I'm adjusting my search parameters for sure!

When my ‘03 V8 4Runner needed to be replaced, I started shopping for a new 2016 GX460 and test drove it 3 times. I also test drove the 5th gen 4Runner Limited several times.

I wanted to like the 4Runner. The size was right for us (we don’t have kids). It has more space in back than my 4th Gen 4Runner had. I liked the new dash in the Limited trim. But that engine and transmission — just no. Yes, the V6 is about as fast to 60 as my old V8, but the experience is very different. That old 4.7 had a lot of low-end torque and would scoot the 4Runner along quickly with low revs and little noise. In contrast, you really have to push that V6 to get anything out of it, and it gets coarse and noisy at high revs. The 4Runner’s transmission desperately needed another gear or three. The 5th gen has a more upright windshield, which made it hard for me to see overhead traffic lights. That drivetrain made me rule out the 4Runner.

The GX460s drivetrain is more refined than the 4Runner, but its performance was no better. I think that is likely due the GXs weight. I liked the GXs dash, but some of the interior materials felt no better than the 4Runner. In order to get the options I wanted, I would have to go with the top trim of the GX, which gets pricey.

Visibility out of the GX is poor. It has a high belt line, somewhat lower roof, large D-pillars, and a small rear window. It felt somewhat claustrophobic. I’m not a fan of the side-hinged rear door.

The GX has fold-flat third row seats, but they do that by raising the rear cargo area about 4 inches above the cargo deck. The result is they take up a huge amount of cargo room. With the 2nd and 3rd row folded, the GX has only 60 cu ft of cargo room. In contrast, the LC 200 has 80. My 4th gen, which had no 3rd row, had 70 cu ft and was a bit too small for us. The 5th gen 4Runner without a 3rd row has 80.

I don’t like the GXs spindle grille, and it greatly reduces the GXs approach angle. The GX also has poor ground clearance and a large turning circle. Finally, I found the GXs drivers seat to be uncomfortable.

While still thinking about the GX, that same Lexus dealer took in a 2013 LC CPO. I got the LC for a bit less than I would have paid for a 2016 GX, and I find it to be a much nicer vehicle. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom