Should I Get a 200?! (1 Viewer)

Get a 200 or No?!

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've yet to drive a 200 but can only imagine. 10-13' GXs have better angles/diff front ends. I also think they're a little bigger inside and taller then the 4R but we're splitting hairs here, no dog in this fight to compare.

To the OP, YES, DEF get you a 200 man, don't think you'll find anything else like it~

I've yet to drive a 200 but can only imagine. 10-13' GXs have better angles/diff front ends. I also think they're a little bigger inside and taller then the 4R but we're splitting hairs here, no dog in this fight to compare.

To the OP, YES, DEF get you a 200 man, don't think you'll find anything else like it~
No, actually they aren’t bigger on the inside than the 5th gen 4Runner without 3rd row. The third row in the 2016 GX takes up a huge amount of the cargo room. Go take a look at them, or look at the specs on toyota.com and Lexus.com. That lack of cargo space was one of the reasons I ruled out the 2016 GX. And unlike the 200, you can’t easily take out the 3rd row seats in the GX.

I wish my 200-series was as reliable as our 14 year old Highlander has been, but it's not been the case
What's unreliable about the 200? I'm considering leaving the 80 world and dipping my toes in the 200 section...

we've owned 2 loaded Sienna's, a 4Runner Limited and now a Platinum Highlander. Of the three, the Highlander is the best driving vehicle for daily use...the Sienna was the most comfortable for long hauls and the 4Runner felt the safest in weird weather.

That said, here are the turn offs for all three. I don't care what anyone says, the Sienna sounds like a tin can when you shut the doors and the driving is only ok because the kids had the damn video up so loud I couldn't hear the road noise. It handles like crapola in winter. Gobs of space but uninspiring to drive.

The 4runner was fine in winter. The third row was almost more of a pain than it was worth. Felt numb driving it...not inspiring in the slightest. To be honest, it was boring.

Highlander is marginally better but has little whistles at speed, is ok in snow, ok with comfort, as long as you are in the first two rows but really is nothing more than a slightly bigger sedan. It drives nicely but is still short of being "fun" to drive. (Acura MDX was better, imo) My wife LOVES the giant sunroof and the seating position/view. My kids HATE the third row and all three run to the car to claim a second row spot before the other gets it. And then it begins..."Mom, you need a bigger car". (what happened to the days like when I was young and my dad had a two-door Ford Tempo or Buick Skylark and all 4 of us had to sit in the back, with the dog, for hours?)

ALL THREE are EVERYWHERE. I hate having what EVERYONE else has.

So, here I am, with a 4Runner TRD PRO on order and am contemplating a slightly used LC 200. The difference is $15k but I get so much more with the LC.

I love the allure of the LC and the rarity of the TRD PRO but am afraid I'm walking back into something I didn't love. I want the LC as much but am worried I'll be disappointed with space?

Anyway, not sure I added much to the conversation but felt compelled to share my quandary and insight.

we've owned 2 loaded Sienna's, a 4Runner Limited and now a Platinum Highlander. Of the three, the Highlander is the best driving vehicle for daily use...the Sienna was the most comfortable for long hauls and the 4Runner felt the safest in weird weather.

That said, here are the turn offs for all three. I don't care what anyone says, the Sienna sounds like a tin can when you shut the doors and the driving is only ok because the kids had the damn video up so loud I couldn't hear the road noise. It handles like crapola in winter. Gobs of space but uninspiring to drive.

The 4runner was fine in winter. The third row was almost more of a pain than it was worth. Felt numb driving it...not inspiring in the slightest. To be honest, it was boring.

Highlander is marginally better but has little whistles at speed, is ok in snow, ok with comfort, as long as you are in the first two rows but really is nothing more than a slightly bigger sedan. It drives nicely but is still short of being "fun" to drive. (Acura MDX was better, imo) My wife LOVES the giant sunroof and the seating position/view. My kids HATE the third row and all three run to the car to claim a second row spot before the other gets it. And then it begins..."Mom, you need a bigger car". (what happened to the days like when I was young and my dad had a two-door Ford Tempo or Buick Skylark and all 4 of us had to sit in the back, with the dog, for hours?)

So, here I am, with a 4Runner TRD PRO on order and am contemplating a slightly used LC 200. The difference is $15k but I get so much more with the LC.

I love the allure of the LC and the rarity of the TRD PRO but am afraid I'm walking back into something I didn't love. I want the LC as much but am worried I'll be disappointed with space?

Anyway, not sure I added much to the conversation but felt compelled to share my quandary and insight.

I’m coming from back to back TRD Pro 4 runners and have an LC200 on order. The 4runner is great and I really cannot justify the 30k+ I’m spending to switch other than the fact that I love my 4runner but want one built better.

You’ll def have those tinny sounding doors and flimsy body panels on the 4runner, also the part time 4wd can be annoying In the winter, particularly in my case with a spous driving it occasionally.

The stereo was horrible in mine but they are offering an upgrade for 2019 which is good news. Lack of keyless entry is annoying but not a deal breaker.

Tough call as the new trd pros hold their value like nothing else in class. I bought and sold my last two without any real loss.

Sounds like your kids need the sequoia

You’ll def have those tinny sounding doors and flimsy body panels on the 4runner, also the part time 4wd can be annoying In the winter, particularly in my case with a spous driving it occasionally.

One of the things I really disliked about the 5th gen was that the Torsen limited slip, lockable center diff only comes on the limited trim. In the 4th gen, all trims got the Torsen.

I live here in the Northeast, and on roads that change from dry to wet to snow-covered and back again, nothing can beat the Torsen.

I’m coming from back to back TRD Pro 4 runners and have an LC200 on order. The 4runner is great and I really cannot justify the 30k+ I’m spending to switch other than the fact that I love my 4runner but want one built better.

The stereo was horrible in mine but they are offering an upgrade for 2019 which is good news. Lack of keyless entry is annoying but not a deal breaker.

Tough call as the new trd pros hold their value like nothing else in class. I bought and sold my last two without any real loss.

To be honest, this is one of the main draws to the PRO. My only concern is the value as they roll out new versions. Aside from that, I don't know that it would take much for someone to make me swing to the LC. Money isn't the issue except for trying to justify the added things I get for the additional $...if that makes sense. I'd love to hear your thoughts a couple of months into owning your LC.

Compared to a 4Runner, the drivetrain is more refined, it is quieter, roomier, more comfortable, more luxurious, and more powerful. The downside of the extra interior size is a larger exterior. Parking in a tight garage can be a pain. Fuel economy is noticeably worse, particularly in the city.

Ride is confident and comfortable, but the LC is not a sports sedan. Even with the KDSS, you will get roll in turns. The power steering is numb. You get a lot of brake dive under heavy braking. While the rear suspension is well tuned, you will feel the rear axle moving around on a rough road. This is a 6,000 lb, body-on-frame, solid-rear-axle truck, and you won’t mistake it for a car.

Well said M1911 about the handeling. I joke (sort of) that my LX 570 is the 2nd least enjoyable car to drive (from a driver perspective) I have ever owned (the least being the G500 I sold to get the LX). That being said I didn’t buy it to be a “drivers car” I needed a capable offroader that can tow a camper with and 3rd row seating that is well built and solid doing so.

Don’t get me wrong it is a great vehicle and Nothing else I would rather drive/own but if I didn’t use it to its capacity: the off road ability and towing I would drive something that handled better on road, did better in the snow/ice, and got better than dismal MPG: Highlander, GX, Q7, MDX, GLS, Subaru,...

The 200 Series LC is like driving a bank vault while sitting on a leather couch. It’s better than the 4R in every way (and I love my 4R) — except as mentioned above, the 4R is easier to park. I enjoy taking long road trips in the LC and don’t feel fatigued when the ride is over. With the LC you feel like you're king of the road and can conquer anything. Still, it handles and brakes like a Toyota and not a BMW. That said, if it’s really a family hauler for the road and you don’t want to hear the kids complain, the Sequoia is definitely geared more for that. There’s more Sequoias out there than LC’s but they’re definitely not as prevalent as Suburbans etc. I’d suggest you compare an LC and a Sequoia.

This all makes me laugh...I drive a 2017 Ram 2500 MegaCab Cummins...I am the king of the road and handling and road manners can only improve no matter what I buy. Appreciate all the comments though because I haven't had an LC yet. Decisions decisions!!!

I come from a 2006 F150 Supercrew and was thinking the exact same thing.

My Cruiser feels like a sports car, handles like a dream, accelerates like a thoroughbred in Kentucky and runs like a scalded cat by comparison. Love the way it feels in town and on the road. Parking in tight parking lots is a breeze compared to the F150, which I still own as my beater truck.

Just tonight on my way home an 18 wheeler was kind of swerving in the lane next to me, I punched it. I thought man I haven't sunk back in a seat like that since high-school driving my 70 mustang convertible.

Honestly, the gripes about driving & handling amuse me.

For the 8000 pond beast my Cruiser is? Wow. It handles INCREDIBLY well.

Folks... It’s 8000 pounds!
It’s not a roadster and will never drive like one.
But for a monster?
-It’s amazing.

To be honest, this is one of the main draws to the PRO. My only concern is the value as they roll out new versions. Aside from that, I don't know that it would take much for someone to make me swing to the LC. Money isn't the issue except for trying to justify the added things I get for the additional $...if that makes sense. I'd love to hear your thoughts a couple of months into owning your LC.

Philo,
I traded in my 15 TRD Pro 4Runner (Inferno) in for a 14 LC back last April. I regret nothing. As much as I loved my Runner, once you start adding bumpers and beefier tires that little V6 leaves a lot to be desired. It's great if you have it floored, but otherwise it was always searching for gears for me.

I also had 2 kids (one rear facing) in big ass baby seats. So there was no room for anyone else if I had family visiting. I did trade in my Runner and got the exact same money I paid for it. Which is flipping amazing. Now though, I would be worried about the resale in the next couple of years when they finally come out with the 6th Gen Runner.

I love my LC, the V8 is amazing. Even with big ass A/T tires I get comparable highway miles, but much s***tier around town mileage.

If you have any specific questions about the move from a Runner to a LC just shoot and I will try to answer them.

Philo,
I traded in my 15 TRD Pro 4Runner (Inferno) in for a 14 LC back last April. I regret nothing. As much as I loved my Runner, once you start adding bumpers and beefier tires that little V6 leaves a lot to be desired. It's great if you have it floored, but otherwise it was always searching for gears for me.

I also had 2 kids (one rear facing) in big ass baby seats. So there was no room for anyone else if I had family visiting. I did trade in my Runner and got the exact same money I paid for it. Which is flipping amazing. Now though, I would be worried about the resale in the next couple of years when they finally come out with the 6th Gen Runner.

I love my LC, the V8 is amazing. Even with big ass A/T tires I get comparable highway miles, but much s***tier around town mileage.

If you have any specific questions about the move from a Runner to a LC just shoot and I will try to answer them.

your fault! :) Pick it up next week.

upload_2018-4-14_8-18-30.jpeg

Philo,

We also have a T4R off-road, and a 2016 LC.

What I dislike about the LC are the cupholders/lack of storage. For some reason, our '17 T4R has far better options than our '16 LC. I don't understand. However, that's my only real complaint between the two, in favor of the T4R.

The power of the LC just blows the T4R away as do the creature comforts. Congrats on the purchase!

-Chris

New to the forum - just picked up my 2017 LC w less than 10k miles and love it. I have a sports car for precision and handling and CJ7 for nostalgia. The LC is everything I want from a daily driver that will last as long as I want it. Luxurious enough for me, under the radar that doesnt scream 'I have $$' and a track record as distinguished as they come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom