Should i Buy 2021 HE? HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this thought came in last night and losing sleep over it...haha.

I found a 2021 HE Black for sale MSRP great dealer. I guess my question is should i buy it now brand new or wait and pay the over inflation price later?
I don't need one right now. i WANT one, i have plenty of cars and plus a new bronco comes in later this year. I buy one new car every year.

My plan is not to miss out on this knowing its a Heritage i will drive it for a year or 2 and then still sell it for my buying price. Its that smart move or pass it up and then time will show.

I need help, lol

Some purchase tips from my experience in purchasing a new Land Cruiser in 2017.

1) Timing - It's always best to purchase on the last day of the month, as sales people are trying to make quotas. January and February are typically pretty slow, as everyone spent their funds on the holidays and vacations. Because everyone thinks the best day to purchase a car is Dec 31st, it's actually not, because sales are pretty good on that day for this reason. February is particularly good as there are less selling days in the month, it's raining/snowing more, it's cold, etc.

2) MSRP - My MSRP was $85,774 and I negotiated a price of $74,990. I hit the phones early on January 31st, starting with the dealers furthest away, then negotiated the price down as I got closer to home. "Give me a price that no other dealer will match," and I then took that price to other dealers. Be sure to remind them that you're buying a car that day, no matter what.

3) Inventory - If the dealer has a number of Land Cruisers to sell, this always helps. I intentionally hit the dealership with the most Land Cruisers last, and it's a bonus when there are two of the same color on the lot. Given current inventory, this may not apply.

4) Milage and Days on Lot - I always ask the lower-level sales guys for the milage, and the days on the lot can be found on CarGurus. Mine had 5 miles on it, and it had been on the lot for about 6 months. When the sales manager started pushing back on price, I reminded him that the car only had 5 miles on it, that no one had test-driven the car over the span of 6 months, but that I could be there in 1 hour to purchase it (for the right price).

5) Distance to Dealer - Be sure to remind the dealer that you look forward to having your car serviced there, as they make a ton on the service. If work is closer to the dealer than your home, be sure to mention that. They may give you a break on the price if they know you're servicing the car at that dealership.

6) Extended Warranty - Ask the sales manager if an extended warranty is an option and how much. When they quote you $5K, state "that sounds like a pretty good deal to me" and leave it at that. Always negotiate the base price of the car first, then the warranty with the finance manager. They are separate negotiations with different people. Speaking of which, you don't have to purchase a warranty at the time you're purchasing the car, and you can negotiate with other dealers in the US for that same warranty. All you need is a credit card and VIN number, and this can be done over the phone. The best price I received was $2K for a $5K extended warranty.

7) Financing - Always ask the sales manager what the max is that you can finance, and ask about current interest rates for cars. No matter what you hear on the rate, state "that's pretty good, right?" Then negotiate a lower rate with the finance guy after the base price of the car has been established. In the finance office, I was quoted 5%. I stated that I wanted something lower and they refused. So I pulled out my pre-approval letter from Bank of America for 2.42%. It was at this point that the finance manager asked me what I really wanted, and I replied 1.99%. He typed the numbers in and said "done." Also, be sure to finance as much as possible. If you have a lot of cash on hand, just apply that to your 2nd or 3rd payments when they come in the mail.

8) "I can't lose money on a car" - I heard this over and over again from the sales managers. But they sure can lose money on a car, especially one that's been sitting on the lot for some time. So long as the dealership is net positive at the end of the month, they can lose money on a few deals. They'll make it up on the service, financing, other incentives, or the unsuspecting customer who purchases a Highlander Hybrid at full MSRP.

9) Inflation - It's raging out of control right now, and it's good to park money in assets, particularly if you're financing at a low-interest rate. You'll be paying back money that is worth less in the future. I heard that 25% of all currency in circulation was created in the last 12 months. Just something I heard, but you may want to verify this on your own.

I hope this helps and gives you the courage to pull the trigger!

Last edited:
All good stuff, but mostly irrelevant on a vehicle that is out of production and now only available in limited quantities. If you have a thing for a HE buy one while you can. Or just wait a couple of years until the johnny come lately crew gets fed up with the novelty, hates the mileage and old technology and needs a Tesla truck/Rivan to be cool at the country club and buy one used, after the first owner eats the depreciation.

Last edited:
I checked with every dealer within a hundred miles before i bought my 2021 HE. There were only 3-4 2021 HE in the entire region and not a single dealer would budge on the MSRP price. They knew what they had and know they will sell it. If you have a black Heritage you like and can at MSRP go for it. You wont see em again.... .

So this thought came in last night and losing sleep over it...haha.

I found a 2021 HE Black for sale MSRP great dealer. I guess my question is should i buy it now brand new or wait and pay the over inflation price later?
I don't need one right now. i WANT one, i have plenty of cars and plus a new bronco comes in later this year. I buy one new car every year.

My plan is not to miss out on this knowing its a Heritage i will drive it for a year or 2 and then still sell it for my buying price. Its that smart move or pass it up and then time will show.

I need help, lol
If you think you can drive it for two years and sell it for what you paid, then yes you should do it. Whether that is realistic or not is another matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom