Should a drive shaft be rebalanced after installing new U-joints?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to replace the drive shaft U-joints in my rig and wondering if it is a good idea to routinely get the shafts rebalanced after doing this? They look good with no dents or dings, all weights appear to be present, and there are no vibrations that get progressively worse with higher speeds

bumpity bump from someone about to do the same :D

It's not going to hurt anything, but the u-joints shouldn't throw it off. I routinely change u-joints without balancing the shaft.

Don't fix it if it aint broke.
They don't install the u-joints to balance, u-joints are machined such that they don't effect balance in any appreciable manner.
When your driveline is out of whack you will know it. Spend the money on heated seats or something else that you really need.

Absolutely no need to do this. Would be like painting your car if you change the tail light bulb.

Mark...

For those of you who have changed out your four U-Joints:

Did you go back with OEM Toyota or aftermaket U-Joints?

Thanks,
Justin

OK, thanks all; I also called a few driveline shops, they all said about the same thing; if you put it back in like it came out and if you didn't have problems with balance before, then no need to re-balance if just replacing U-joints. I'm using Toyota U-joints which from searching is what most mudders recommend.

For those of you who have changed out your four U-Joints:

Did you go back with OEM Toyota or aftermaket U-Joints?

Thanks,
Justin

Is that supposed to be a link? It's not. It kinda looks like one though.

I either used OEM or NAPA, I wouldn't use a discount chain's stuff unless I knew for sure the brand was equal to the OEM quality. NAPA parts generally impress me, although there are still things I'll only get from Toyota, like spark plug wires, belts, thermostats, and other things that for whatever reason are better (for instance, Toyota spark plug wires are comparable in price to the chain parts stores, nicely custom molded, and come pre-assembled in the brackets and have other niceties, like numbered wires). I wouldn't hesitate to use NAPA's u-joints, and have been very impressed with their steering stuff, like tie rod ends.

I used aftermarket myself...but I'd use Napa next time...the Autozone cheap-o brand you cannot access the zerk once installed...I'll prolly modify my grease gun to try to get in there at some point.

OK, thanks all; I also called a few driveline shops, they all said about the same thing; if you put it back in like it came out and if you didn't have problems with balance before, then no need to re-balance if just replacing U-joints. I'm using Toyota U-joints which from searching is what most mudders recommend.

X2 on putting everthing back the same way.

Just finished both U-joint for the front DS tonight. No problem at all with vibration. I'll the rear tomorrow night.

I was told Toyota doesnt make the ujoints for front ds, the rebuild kits but not whole u joints. Is this true??? Also are they the same size in the rear ds as the front?

Just curious, some of you mentioned changing them like it's a regular thing. How often do you change them and do you do it as a regular interval or only when they start making noise.

Keep them greased and they last a long time. I let one get a little dry and when I grease it, it doesn't seem to holld the grease well and is being spun out. My rig has 235k and the original joints.

julstirn: complete U-joints for the front and rear driveshafts are available. If you want Toyota OEM parts call one of the vendors here on mud. There is a non-rubber heavy duty fibrous seal/wiper where the yolk slides into the driveshaft (same in the rear driveshaft); it appears permanently pressed in and that part is not available (quoting CDan) but it appears to last a very long time. The front and rear U-joints are different sizes, one of the parts gurus might chime in with the specs/numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom