Short trip vs. Long trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't run my LC that often. In the summer it is out a few times a week. In the winter, I try to run it once a week or more.

When I take it out, I usually go for a 10+ mile drive...more often than not get it up to 70+ on the interstate. Around town, I go 30-60mph depending the road. Is that enough? Sometimes its 50 mile round-trip to COSTCO or somewhere a little further away. We do a couple 1500+ mile trips a year and take it to the kids soccer games during the Spring/Fall.

Just curious...

I think especially the long trips help to burn everything off. And in addition a lot of people use their cars as daily drivers with similar mileage.
Sounds good to me

Runs well, I just think about the "rubber band" affect like to make sure I keep things stretched lol

Thanks for the insight!

10 minute drives once a month will do more harm than good. You'll be getting the engine warm enough to cause condensation but not long enough to dry it out. 30 minute drives including highway speeds would be plenty. Mufflers rust from the inside out for the same reason. For what it's worth, my day job is aviation maintenance in the northeast. I've heard many, and seen a few, stories of airplane owners running the engine for 10 minutes or so once a month to keep everything oiled up. In the end, everything inside the engine ends up getting pitted with corrosion due to condensation sitting in the engine. Regular sustained use is best for any engine.

I don't usually just run it...I go somewhere, pick up the kids after school, run it for 10 miles.

Good point though, I'll make sure I get a good drive every week. I also never go a month without running it. Max (when I'm not home) is maybe 2 weeks, but usually its a minimum of once every 7-10 days. Sometimes its every day for a week...just depends on if its blocked into the garage by my every day or not lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom