Long crank when warm… not immobilizer issue. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

So I am stumped! Randomly, on Tuesday while I went back to my 1998 LX470 after it sat for an hour I got a crank and no start. I held the key for probably five-eight seconds, it just didn’t fire up. Second turn of the key, started right up. Once on, no misfires, no CEL, no issue.

I was able to consistently recreate this by letting it sit for 30 minutes - 1.5 hours ish after a drive to full temp. So when the coolant temp is still >100. Crank no start, second try it comes right to life. There is no security light on when this happens by the way.

I cleaned the throttle body, and had the battery checked and it was good. Still no help. Intake air temp isn’t off, coolant temp isn’t off. Any ideas? I found a post saying bad EFI main relay, but that’s more expensive than I’d like to just throw it at it. Crank or Cam position sensors? The fact that it only happens when its been sitting after a drive is odd to me, and I don't want to throw parts at it and waste money.

Last edited:
I've been having this same exact issue for a couple years but just been living with it. Mainly during the winter months, it will crank for a few seconds and sputter to life if I let it sit for anywhere between 5 minutes and 5 hours. Starts right up when the engine is cold. I'm very interested to see if anyone has a solution.

Also, weirdly enough, today my immobilizer light decided to stay on permanently even when I unlock the car and put the key in. I hoped it might have some effect on the starting issue but I believe it's simply due to water leaking through the corner of the windshield and down the A-pillar near the driver side footwell fuse box.

Fuel filter?
Fuel pump? Once the pump runs hot, the resistance increases causing low current to be drawn giving lower RPM and low fuel pressure. Ivan at Pine Hallow auto diagnostics posted a video on a 97 4runner (similar symptoms)

@nissanh I plan to do the fuel filter sooner than later to see if it changes anything. I'll look for that video. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom