Short Side Inner Axle Reinstall (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The pipe trick worked great on the separation of the Birfield and inner axle. Now were reinstalling into the housing and it won't slide in all of the way. The long side went in fine.
Any special way or tricks to getting the inner axle to slide in?
Thanks in advance.
Dave AKA Petescoffee

Had the same problem only on the long side.

First make sure that the flat spots on the birf are in the right position.

Mine ended up that I was just not lineing up then end of the axle with the spot it slips into the 3rd. I don't think that there are any special tricks other than that.

Good Luck

grab the driveshaft and give 'er a twist as you push the axle/birf in...sometimes that little rotation will help align the inner gears and things will slide right in.

I ALWAYS have this problem on the short side, and usually the long side too...

Just had the same problem w/ the long side the other day. turned out the solution was more power! When trying to easy it in it just wouldn't go, but when I got it starting in the 3rd and then really shoved it in (yes, flat spots on the birf were in the right places) fast and with some force it seated just right.

jm

Still can't get that axle to slide in all of the way :mad:
It stops about an inch +/- short. I can feel it touching the grooves as I turn the Driveshaft. I tried Tapping it in with a wood block and the outer clip moved out of its groove.
Any one have any ideas???

Starting to get a little frusterated. The other side went together easily.
Any more tips would be appreciated.

Hmmm. ???

You can feel it hitting the grooves? When you turn the axle does the pinion flange turn? Or try to(if you don't have the DS disconnected)?

Like I said before, I had this issue on the other side, but the trick was just moving the end(that goes into the 3rd) up and down untill I got it to "actuall" line up with the 3rd.

Before I got it to slide all the way in, mine stuck out just about 1 1/2 inches too far.

Is this in the front or the rear? I have seen two types of "side gear pins" the shaft that is vertical inside of the carrier. One is cylindrical and the other oblong. If you have the oblong type and it is turned...it may prevent the axle shaft fron sliding all the way in....maybe? Don't know for sure

Good luck

This is the front Short side.
Yeah I have about 1 to 11/2 " to go.
Tried tapping it and the outer clip moved. Going to put in a new outer clip and inner and start over.
Tried turning the Birfied around a few.
Dave aka petescoffee

tried rotating the driveshaft?

is this the SAME birfield, or an upgrade?

what year housing?

(on a limb....you've got a 76-78 housing and are upgrading to longfields/smurfields and haven't yet ground down the opening so it fits?)

also, is it engaging the side gears of the carrier at all, ie: does the driveshaft rotate freely? spin the shaft 1/4-1/2 turn, then "jiggle" and see if that doesn't allow things to mesh.

front locker? open diff?

hijack alert

"(on a limb....you've got a 76-78 housing and are upgrading to longfields/smurfields and haven't yet ground down the opening so it fits)"

this was what i was looking for when i was discussing putting 60 birfs in my 76. details on this operation please (even a direction to a tech article it was in) thanks

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=1;threadid=6840;start=msg60102#msg60102 date=1068175229]
hijack alert

"(on a limb....you've got a 76-78 housing and are upgrading to longfields/smurfields and haven't yet ground down the opening so it fits)"

this was what i was looking for when i was discussing putting 60 birfs in my 76. details on this operation please (even a direction to a tech article it was in) thanks
[/quote]

<continued hijack>

Strip the knuckle completely....I prefer to get things down to completely clear, since you are gonna use a 4" angle grinder in there to "open" the fishmouth opening a tad.

Grab your 76 birf, and note where the flat spots of the birf just clear the opening. Now grab the 60-ish birf and see where those same flat spots are wider and it doesn't fit thru that opening. With rags stuffed all over, including the seal opening into the housing, take your angle grinder (grind wheel or sand disc) and open up the top and bottom....you only need 1/16" or so each side, but do it until that bigger birf can easily slip in the opening.

I might be able to pull a pic for ya this weekend on an old housing, not sure if I have one stripped or not tho....

a pic would be marvelous if you can find it, if not i got a fairly good idea about what's going on. gotta get a parts 60 and a grinder...

anyone in australia want to give me a trashed 60. i only want knuckles/ birfs/ entire rear spring assembly, steering components (all power steering stuff too) and a spare engine/ transmission/ transfer case wouldn't go astray. i'm sure the neighbours will love a smashed up 60 on the lawn

thanks heaps woody. continue with the birfield fitment drama.

The land crusier is a 75 with a mini truck disc brake conversion. I am trying to reinstall the the same Birf and inner axle that came out.

We are separating the inner from the birf again today and will check the fit and install new clips again.
Dave

try installing the inner alone first, and make sure the seal surface of the inner aligns with the seal. Also, check the fishmouth opening for interference with the birf alone too, just in case something is noticable...

When you separated the axle did the inner shaft hit concrete? You may need to clean up the splines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom