Shop compressor recommendation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a Dewalt 60 gallon from tractor supply a little over a year ago. First one shot sparks out the motor first time I plugged it in and never worked again. Swapped it a few days later and all was well till this summer when it through the belt and ran and ran and ran while spinning the motor pulley through the belt and nearly burning my shop down. Slapped a new belt on and all was good till today when mid paint session the motor literally caught on fire and I had to put it out with a fire extinguisher. Needless to say I’m done with Dewalt.

Who is making the best quality new 60 galling compressor in the 12-15cfm @ 90psi range? The Eastwood scroll compressor is appealing for the quietness, but it has mixed reviews and it’s a lot for iffy quality.

Not afraid to pay money for something that will pay for many years. Not opposed to used, but would prefer new just to know history.

Nothing new is very good. All sub-15hp compressors are China made today. Quality is usually good enough for light use, sometimes not even that.

I recommend buying either the cheapest Harbor Freight compressor and planning to replace every few years or buy a top shelf used compressor.

Quincy QR25 series are about as good as you can get. A model 325 is a good home shop compressor.

I run a pair of 5HP Quincy 325's plus a backup Gardner Denver 10HP screw in my shop. The Quincys run 8-10 hours 6 days a week. That's non-stop, never shut off 20cfm @ 150 psi. I bought them state surplus with umpty million hours on them for $300. I bought a full rebuild kit ($600) to have on hand if one breaks. That was many years ago. Never needed a part.

"nothing new is very good." I was afraid that was going to be the reality. I'd rather buy once and cry once than replace a crap one every few years, especially if it risks burning my damn shop down like the Dewalt...

I think a Quincy QR325 would be pretty overkill for my needs though. Anyone have an opinion on Speedaire compressors from Grainger? Looks like their house brand, but has a Dayton electric motor and there is a location very close to me.

"nothing new is very good." I was afraid that was going to be the reality. I'd rather buy once and cry once than replace a crap one every few years, especially if it risks burning my damn shop down like the Dewalt...

I think a Quincy QR325 would be pretty overkill for my needs though. Anyone have an opinion on Speedaire compressors from Grainger? Looks like their house brand, but has a Dayton electric motor and there is a location very close to me.

Speedaire is not actually anything but a sticker on a product some other company makes. Speedaire makes nothing. It's just a brand imagined up by Grainger.

Here's pretty much the last decently made small air compressor hold out left in the world. You could buy the VT-735-60 for about $4300 plus shipping. That is a part time duty hobby grade splash lube compressor. They make the same thing with pressure lube for $5300.

Or you can pick up a used industrial recip compressor for a small fraction of that.

if I were to buy a new air compressor system for the long term, I'd pay a lot of attention to tank anti-corrosion features like coating, metal thickness, drainage, etc. Seems to me that corrosion of the tank wall is a big deal, for eventual leaks of course, but especially for potential catastrophic failure. And it is hard to gauge. I would also much prefer separate compressor and motor for ease and cost of repair, and oil bath lubed over oil-free.

if I were to buy a new air compressor system for the long term, I'd pay a lot of attention to tank anti-corrosion features like coating, metal thickness, drainage, etc. Seems to me that corrosion of the tank wall is a big deal, for eventual leaks of course, but especially for potential catastrophic failure. And it is hard to gauge. I would also much prefer separate compressor and motor for ease and cost of repair, and oil bath lubed over oil-free.

Electric auto drains work good. If there isn't water sitting in the tank and there's the tiniest bit of oil getting in the air from the compressor the tank will never rust inside.

Tanks are often about the same thickness as any brackets or feet that are welded to them. So if the feet are stamped from 14 gauge that may not be the tank you want.

My Ingersoll Rand Model 2340L5 14.8 CFM @ 90 PSI that I bought back in the late 90's has served me well. I just barely put new caps in the motor and I think one belt over the years. Advertised as 100% duty cycle. Made in U.S.A. back then but I don't know if they still are.

Tractor Supply near me sells IR compressors but I haven't really checked them out closely.

IMG_20231211_135702759_HDR.jpg

Can you just replace the motor? Has the compressor pump failed?

I haven't bought it yet but after much research I have decided on one of these. They seem better built than anything else I can find new and they are apparently the quietest reciprocating compressor on the market. They come in at least 3 variations depending on features.

Can you just replace the motor? Has the compressor pump failed?
I probably could, and well will see how Dewalt is going to take care of me. That being said, given the total lack of quality in the motor, I don’t have any confidence that the rest of the unit is much better. A new quality Dayton motor or equivalent is still several hundred dollars which I feel would be better spent towards an overall better unit. If I let Dewalt replace just the motor, they’re only going to use the same garbage that has already failed twice on me.

That Eaton looks nice! I’ll have to look into those more. Right now I’m leaning heavily towards the Speedaire. They’re made by Dayton Electric, which I’ve had really good luck with components from in the past. Not a bad price either. The Sealy Bell looks like the best of the best but not sure I want to pay $4k+ given my moderate usage.

My Ingersoll Rand Model 2340L5 14.8 CFM @ 90 PSI that I bought back in the late 90's has served me well. I just barely put new caps in the motor and I think one belt over the years. Advertised as 100% duty cycle. Made in U.S.A. back then but I don't know if they still are.

Tractor Supply near me sells IR compressors but I haven't really checked them out closely.

View attachment 3549037
The modern made IR compressors don’t get good reviews from what I can see. I think they’re on par with the DeWalt I have. I do see an old school T30 come up for sale from time to time and those seem like good buys!

Anyone have an opinion on Chicago Pneumatic? They have some reasonably priced 60/80gal compressors with cast iron pumps and Baldor motors? Those and speedaire appear to be a cut above the box store trash.

Anyone have an opinion on Chicago Pneumatic? They have some reasonably priced 60/80gal compressors with cast iron pumps and Baldor motors? Those and speedaire appear to be a cut above the box store trash.

What makes you say that?

What makes you say that?
They both at least have name brand motors. Speedaire looks to be made by Dayton electric which makes really solid motors in my experience. If you look at the motors on the box store stuff, they’re usually some Chinese company (not necessarily a bad thing). Heck the first Dewalt I had, the motor didn’t even have a brand or serial number on it!

Zooming in on a new Campbell /Hausfield shows a motor manufactured by Zhengli Electric motor company. Which I know nothing about, but doesn't give me the same feeling as one stamped "Dayton" or "Baldor".

Last edited:
also looking at the Champion VP5-55-8. Looks like a good value from a well respected company. Anyone have recent experience with them?

The Quincy, Champion, and Curtis compressors are ones that I'd consider. I've got a 20+ year old Quincy.

Agree. My Champion compressor is 22+ years too.

Thanks all! Believe I’ve settled on a Champion VR5-8. I’ll update once I get it rolling.

Here's an example of a 5HP 20CFM @ 150 PSI Quincy 325 for $200

Steam clean that thing on the way home, sand it up and paint it blue for $20 and give it an oil change.

Buy a nice top shelf 1PH-3PH VFD for $600

100 years from now your great grandkids will still be using it.

I see you settled, congrats.

But for those who search, if you want one that will last a lifetime, get a older, used 2 stage Saylor Beall, Champion, Quincy, Kellogg American, Denver Gardner or Curtis, with Saylor being my preference. Parts and support are good and you can rebuild the pump if needed. If the motor goes, toss on a new Baldor. The EMaxs get great reviews if you want a new one albeit at a higher entry point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom