shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
been wheelin alot lately and racking my brain trying to get more flex and realized that my shocks are to short they were with a kit so I never thought they were wroong but once again JTO :flipoff2: gives me the wrong stuff so i need advice on new shocks I have 4" pinnacle springs and the big shackles for 5" total lift thanks

i hav the 9000 adjustable's.
save your money and go with the 5000s.

what size are you runnin

IMO, purchase 14" stroke front shocks and install Ford towers to get them to work. IIRC, my rears are 11" stroke and angled in at the top, more than stock. Should be able to swap yer fronts to the rear and only need to purchase 2 for the front.....75 has the rear shock axle-side mount on the perch, not on the u-bolt plate right?!?

I hate Rancho shocks, 5000 or 9000, never on my rig.

no they mount on the plate how are those deotsh techs workin for you and where do i get the ford towers?

DT3000's are cheap, and softer than RS5000's...IMO, they compare to a 2 setting on 9000's.

test: pull a front and rear shock...which is longer? if the rear is, then use those up front, and make a new axle-side stud lower mount for the rears...might be a cheap/easy fix for ya.

thanks woody ill try it

I bought SkyJacker Hydro 7000s for the front of my SOA FJ60. I'm lovin' 'em so far. The guys at our local 4X4 shop swear by them and recommended them for my heavy rig (Though they're not CruiserHeads, they've had a few cruisers). I paid about $32 each--and mine are a 34" extended, 14" travel shock.

-Ferg-

OK, maybe here's a dumb question. Is there any reason not to buy long-throw shocks now in preparation for some day when I add more travel? I don't see right off why a long shock shouldn't work fine on a short travel setup??

Edit - Oh wait, is one of the shock's jobs to limit extension?

[quote author=theo link=board=1;threadid=8256;start=msg69844#msg69844 date=1070319027]
OK, maybe here's a dumb question. Is there any reason not to buy long-throw shocks now in preparation for some day when I add more travel? I don't see right off why a long shock shouldn't work fine on a short travel setup??

Edit - Oh wait, is one of the shock's jobs to limit extension?
[/quote]

A shock's main purpose is to control rebound. Running a long shock on stock suspension could cause a rough ride due to the shock bottoming out on rebound. Some guys with dedicated trail rigs don't even run shocks as they make expensive limiting straps.

dedicated trail rigs with no shocks are a real rareity now....they control wheelhop with the springs, and the driveability without them is nasty...

IMO, purchase 14" strokers in front and Ford towers and adjust mounts to make them operate....does a 4" lift need them? no, but it's very unlikely you'll overly extend or compress them. You'll likely only use 75% of their usuable stroke...you may need some careful bumpstop locating to control up-travel tho and prevent damage to the mount. In the rear, mount them inboare more at the upper mount, like 6" apart, then 45 degrees to the axle. Yes, this reduces their dampening ability, but not drastically. Mine ae at about 35-40 degrees, and control fairly well. Any steeper than 45 is NOT recommended. IIRC, a shock at 45 degrees maintains 85% of its dampening control (search on 4x4wire.com for testing on this....)

Ive got rs 9000 that came with my 4" skyjacker kit and I foud that if I flexed out on a rock with the bottom of the shock not attached I couldn't get it within 1.5"s of going back on so I switched the front with the rear (rears like 2" longer than front) and no more problem. I've been runnin with no rear shocks for like 3 months now as a daily driver and I swear there's no difference than with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom