Shock thread #3478909 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. I have searched the 80 forum and FAQ until I am blue in the face and still haven't found exactly what it is I am looking for. So here we are...

I am looking for shocks to replace the blown FOR shocks on the rear of my 80 which has a FOR GenII(?) lift and wanted to see what options are available.
I realize that OME are what the vast majority of people run, but I am not really interested in spending that much for shocks that I have had in the past and was not really fond of (albeit on a 4Runner).

So what shocks are you running with what combination of springs?
Are you happy with their performance?
Would you recommend them?
Why or why not?
If you know the part numbers and or specs please share them.

I apologize if this has already been covered, but I can't seem to find it if it is.

Last edited:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/303737-pro-comp-es9000-shock-information-specs.html

best bang for your buck. im running them with ironman front coils and stock coils in the rear. dramatic difference in handling and feel over my clapped out factory shocks. swapping out for TJM progressive coils and sticking with the es9000s. should make for a nice ride.

on a side note you mention 4runner...i bought a 3rd gen for a DD and i cant believe how awful the suspension feels. my first gen runner on leafs rode way better.

JEEBUS. That's a loud bang!
Cheap folks... cheap.

I think what he means is this: on Lorena, I'm running 1999 REAR Ford F250 shocks. They're 12" travel and they are eyelet/post so only the front needs one adapter. Only issue with them is they're harder than a freshmans penis at prom. But they'e $18/each from autozone

Is they're a "like shock" but maybe softer than a rear F250?

I guess I am just under-whelmed with the availability of shocks for a lifted 80. I also prefer to buy my parts locally when possible, so I was looking for something in a KYB, Tokico, Monroe, or a Bilstein without having to use adapters.

Have I mentioned that I have read shock threads until my head was spinning? :hillbilly:

:lol: i thought that was cheap for this crowd.

Landspeeder, i thought i was cheap but you dont show lorena any special treatment . :)

:lol: i thought that was cheap for this crowd.

Landspeeder, i thought i was cheap but you dont show lorena any special treatment . :)

This crowd wears jorts.

Lorena does the dishes.

I think the best bang for the buck is prolly Ranchos. Which i think you can get from advance/autozone/oreillys for $45-ish with around 11" of travel is what dragrs1bones just recently bought locally...

Matthew lemme know if you wanna do that and we may do a local group buy with your discount!

At this point anything will be better than the FOR/pro-comp/Bellsteen/ blown out junk I have now.

You're running three different brands of shocks at the same time? :confused:

Plenty of options for shocks. The big catch is that our pigs are heavy. Most cheap shocks won't hold up (even if a "stiff" valving).

I'm happy with my Pro-Comp's, and they're holding up well over the last few years.

Personally I'd only go with shocks that folks have been running for a while. I've seen plenty of shocks that seem to be fine when first installed, but quickly go south as they don't hold up. Unless you don't mind installing new shocks every year or two.

Plenty of options for shocks. The big catch is that our pigs are heavy. Most cheap shocks won't hold up (even if a "stiff" valving).

I'm happy with my Pro-Comp's, and they're holding up well over the last few years.

Personally I'd only go with shocks that folks have been running for a while. I've seen plenty of shocks that seem to be fine when first installed, but quickly go south as they don't hold up. Unless you don't mind installing new shocks every year or two.

He meant, whatever the GenII FOR shocks were... which if i recall they were Edelbrocks? And they are on all four corners of his beast.
All that said... them shocks has been beat like a fat kid in lord of the flies. They've held up nicely the last three years considering the ever living beating they've taken.

I run BDS shocks for an F250/350 12 inch stroke rear 10 inch front eye to eye so you would need the adaptors
They run about $45 a piece and have held up really well for me except for when I smash the bottom of the can in on the rear
BDS, Rancho, Procomp etc. basic hydro shocks are all the same white tube hydros

Haha. No. I am running the original brushed aluminum looking shocks that came with the lift. I don't know if they are Bilstein/Edelbrock/etc as they have no name on them other than the "FOR" sticker.

I do not doubt that people are having good luck out of the Pro-comps, but there are a couple of reasons for me trying to source something different. I manage an auto repair shop and try to keep all of my business local if at all possible. I would much rather keep food on the table of my local parts guys than somebody that I do not know at Pro-comp or Deutsche tech.
It appears that all my local vendors (NAPA, CQ, Advance, AZ, O'reilly) can readily get Bilstein, Monroe, Gabriel, KYB, and Rancho so that is what I was looking for.

I would look for a rancho for an f250/350 I bet that would work really well

So if you have a select brand of shocks you already want to go with, why didnt you just ask who has had experience with this specific range of shocks? Seems like you would have gotten better responses.

FYI, Monroe and Rancho are both made by Tenneco so they would be very similar i would think.

I would look for a rancho for an f250/350 I bet that would work really well

rancho rs5234
even is ready to go right into the rear... eyelet/post

I have the s***ty and I mean s***ty brand of these... from autozone. they're rough...

Last edited:
rancho rs5243
even is ready to go right into the rear... eyelet/post

I have the s***ty and I mean s***ty brand of these... from autozone. they're rough...

Your rig has a 1/3 the ass of a full body 80
you got no weight in the back of that thing i bet it is rough

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

Rancho and monro both have a rebate if you buy 4 right now. It's only 25 bucks this month. I got 50 last month on ranchos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom