Builds Shipwreck (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm still smiling. A DNR volunteer came to me in the parking lot, he drives a pretty sweet rig, and talked to me about mine then said "that is the best rig there is here at Walker" dang.... made me :D

this rig
7VRygK4.jpg

I'm 90% sure that guy lives not far from here. I recognize the vehicle from my drive home.....

everyone needs 2 soft tops for their FJ40, right? how about if I mentioned it was cheap (like ridiculously) and came with the doors?
6NmzfNS.jpg

kV8xIpb.jpg

and seriously, if anyone needs this (it doesn't have the frame and is a Best top in tan) - let me know. As far as I can see, the windows are okay, there's a slight, easy fix cut by the door.... I bought it because it's cheaper than a tarp and has matching canvas doors.

Last edited:
if you pick it up $75 with the doors.

If no pickup, whatever shipping costs - though with the doors and their inability to be broken down - I expect that wouldn't be worth it (except that you cannot buy these in tan anymore through Best top

Next time you head to walker valley? I can meet you down there whenever.

Next time you head to walker valley? I can meet you down there whenever.

yes, but it may be awhile.... I have not-a-chance-I'll-get-to-Walker-Valley stuff going on from now until sometime in July. Point is, if you want it sooner, you may need to come get it. I think you have my phone number, but if not, I'll PM it to you now.

yes, but it may be awhile.... I have not-a-chance-I'll-get-to-Walker-Valley stuff going on from now until sometime in July. Point is, if you want it sooner, you may need to come get it. I think you have my phone number, but if not, I'll PM it to you now.

Sounds good, price is good, and something I can definitely work with. I'm not in a hurry!

Here we go....
ulyVfnJ.jpg

I don't have the picture but it looks like new hubs will be part of this build....
3lFf0g6.jpg

and a hard picture to take but it almost looks like there's cracks in the face (on the wheel side, not the rear).... going to inspect closer tomorrow - was hoping the digital picture would help me see... maybe it did?
K6eGkBS.jpg

aKGJ7fw.jpg

the knuckles
e78kRKl.jpg

GLRfQ4M.jpg

moving forward
knocked the studs out, then decided to buy new ones.... so 2 day wait for that.... but got forward
Tv4dXId.jpg

so easy with the right tool
F40epEC.jpg

might as well lube the upper ball joint
YuTFXA3.jpg

all apart and waiting on the studs
wZTxeS7.jpg

back to this.
FeblkLs.jpg

the decision is I'm going to use the parts of this, but attach it to the the tow points - it's just not what I want, so making something new is the better choice

also bought some spare wires
jR2iXc6.jpg

the problem, there is wear where there shouldn't be wear
LCvZpGK.jpg

basically, I think I was supposed to cut 1/4" off the stub shaft and put the circlip on the inner ring
ekiCIsa.jpg

OG9PgZi.jpg

see the two cuts? I think the outer one needs to be cut off
CNDzwCC.jpg

of all 4 major pieces, this is the only one that is undamaged
UhAPRyl.jpg

and there is breakage inside... probably because the hub was full of aluminum from the wear
U0p0sT1.jpg

the short of this is I think (going to check with Carl at Nitro tomorrow) I didn't shorten the stub shaft.... but since it's darn hard to add splines back, a phone call will happen before the chop saw happens.
I may, tomorrow, go to Olympic and get a couple parts - while I'm at it I may see if I can't piece together some new-to-me hubs. These hubs are a hybrid and still not sure they work for this application.
7V6EsRT.jpg

Hub assembly
hcnJiAO.jpg

press the new studs in
8IzItjl.jpg

then press the pins in
RNnXvec.jpg

it's funny, growing up, my dad (still owns) owned a sheet metal fab shop and has a 200 ton 12' press brake. We never had a hydraulic press....
FVVG0zQ.jpg

front reassembly
yoMN1tu.jpg

if anyone is doing this - do not put the high steer arm or studs on before you attach the hub
and a problem
B75Kgxx.jpg

I put the panhard mount in the way of the cross shaft... oops
I have most of the parts to move it... only thing I don't have is the threaded bushings.... not just that, but I don't like the heims on the panhard so I'm going to replace those with something lined and lubable.
D8OStnE.jpg

gjSZekm.jpg

so there's the steering connected, if I must, I can get the truck off the lift - that said, I want to finish this before I do.... the biggest problem now is the panhard is no longer parallel to the steering arm (bump steer issues arise from that). With that said, this is going to make this even more of a joy to drive and, bonus, allow me to turn sharply when a wheel is stuffed
PEGM52F.jpg

z7zFzlI.jpg

and I'll put the shorter arm back on to quicken the steering
RamR4Xf.jpg

a good view of the next things I'm fixing
AZBaq4x.jpg

IPoLTog.jpg

thanks for following

I think I know what happened to the hub. I should have figured a way to put the lock on
XZ8KT2s.jpg

as you can see, the 2nd ring isn't visible but the 1st ring is almost too far out. Fortunately there is a fix, cut the inner shaft down a bit
MYbGqo3.jpg

xQyJYh1.jpg

vk3Jduz.jpg

time to fix the panhard
EEFgAKz.jpg

cut and move back
MQ7hJwU.jpg

b5IjnLW.jpg

in no particular order, pictures
2qKz4iJ.jpg

a fun treat was every single bung was frozen solid to the TREs..
OwHkbTQ.jpg

KFu57yO.jpg

1LlwNao.jpg

high angle TREs (note the notch?) - yeah there was one issue.
Q1V0Mce.jpg

5oxXcDr.jpg

so I'm waiting on steering parts, tomorrow I'll finish the panhard and maybe get working on the seat belt bar on the cage.... presuming I can find the rest of the belts...

What's next is finish the front then redo the exhaust. I love having cats on it, but it's causing fuel heating issues with the fuel tank. Last time I was wheeling, fuel vapors were boiling out the filler. I think the solution is going to be several layers. I have quieter flowmaster mufflers - I'll take this and put them under the floorboard (that moves them forward to where the cats are). On the floorboard, I'll put dynamat (on top of the ceramic coating and on top of the bedliner...

the issue with the cats is they reburn the exhaust which causes the temps to go from 400 degrees to 700 degrees (inlet/outlet) and into the muffler - that is right under the fuel tank. The mufflers have exhaust paint that's breaking down because it's too warm.... ah well, somethings work; others, not so much

and to foreanswer - the batteries are under the floor in the very back, I could make a tank for the space but then the batteries would be above those temps; also, the space is smaller now because the axle is further back then stock so the capacity would be pretty limited.

checking clearances
IA2KzVP.jpg

like this clearance
SrxUrR3.jpg

fixed
ZlmXGiy.jpg

line up, clean up
eJtRk4T.jpg

weld up
7JS6hYV.jpg

and it fully turns
hWMrTKp.jpg

one of the big reasons for this effort is to get a better turning radius at full stuff.... once I get the parts for the high-steer cross shaft (probably Thursday), this bit is done then onto all the other stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom