Builds Shipwreck (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just like bringing up your short wheelbase.

but without the "you'll flip over backwards" it lacks the level of deep thought and troll that Pirate brings to the internet. Before I experienced their level of lunacy, I had no idea what a blither was. Now I know, they do highlight the blither in blithering idiot.....

the most fun part of that entire thread was getting a number from them - no one wanted to commit because they knew the instant they did that the rest of the blithers would attack them instead.

and heaven knows, I've been trying to flip it over backwards.... I'm such a failure :D

This continues to be the best response to the trolls - and it's funny, someone was telling me you can't wheel in the snow with swampers. This is the picture I responded with....

DSC_0017.JPG

You just need bigger rocks. Mine is about 115" wheelbase and I'm pretty sure I can flip it over backwards
IMG_6028.JPG

Last edited:
I've also heard that you can't snow wheel with stickies... I'm planning on testing that out this winter. LOL!

my brother once told me the most annoying thing about me was that if he ever said it couldn't be done, I'd do it. We won't talk about the time I aired up at the end of a run then had to get pulled back onto the road because I didn't have enough traction to get off the shoulder ... that said, minor problems like that are a long, long ways away from "can't"

Last edited:
You just need bigger rocks. Mine is about 115" wheelbase and I'm pretty sure I can flip it over backwards

just move the instant center to somewhere in front of your radiator and flipping comes naturally. That was the context of the comment - I'm pretty sure the person talking wouldn't know IC from toilet paper.... so they were talking with what should have been plugged with toilet paper. It is interesting, though, how few people in the 4x4 world realize that you can get the same traction benefits with a properly set up 4 link as you can with a much longer wheelbase.

More parts
O1qHHdR.jpg

that don't work
6DN0iqL.jpg

cOYOuIA.jpg

these don't work either
BUPhG8S.jpg

close, though
Tkv9EZp.jpg

Iuy2HPy.jpg

that way doesn't work either
5KZ9Vlp.jpg

a bit of ramp testing (aka, rock wall testing)
hsaxdCI.jpg

t4CzBUn.jpg

and need to adjust cross arm too so I can turn left when stuffed
trMBQbk.jpg

it will kind of clear, but the deal is I need to use the smaller TREs (the ones that cross in front of the axle and don't have 30 degree range of motion
9mHI4gj.jpg

more testing
9K501lP.jpg

jUj4899.jpg

full stuff, full turn, no rubbing
TqIYMk9.jpg

sywdMBt.jpg

I did have to make a shim
1Liccno.jpg

I'll have the correct TREs tomorrow, but outside of that, it's done
n5B7kmq.jpg

I drove it, and while it does desparately need an alignment that corrects the toe, it drives pretty nice (which is surprising given there is a difference in angle between the cross shaft and panhard
0wqMsrJ.jpg

derail alert. I love putting stuff like this in a thread because it so doesn't fit. Beagle has nothing on me. So I have a honey do list and I also have my going-camping-in-3-week list... so what do I do today? not one damn thing on any list
I got a cheap, and boy do I mean cheap (think scrap steel cheap), Italian lathe. Made in 1960, it's 14x36 with a taper attachment
KrqeKbW.jpg

CpO8uDd.jpg

y7wRkwb.jpg

this has to be the easiest unload I've ever done
xgdTbNO.jpg

it's 3 phase and I'll use a VFD to convert single to 3 phase. I'm fortunate in that I have a friend who plays with electrons....

In other FJ40 news
hubs are on
AgDk2z6.jpg

Jh1zmQd.jpg

It does me some real good to see you get a machine lathe. I wish I had the place for one, and the money, to be able to do that. I expect that you already know how to operate it. I know nothing about using one, but I sure would enjoy being in your shoes and learning how to use it. It's been over 50 years since I played with one in high school.

Don

time to make a new cross arm
lWGBn3E.jpg

NrCLQ69.jpg

now we're getting there
zVFRDsS.jpg

now in black
noohKTT.jpg

these were a bad idea, seemed like a good idea at the time - hold the rope and shackle up... problem is it's too close to the narrow side of the winch plate so you couldn't get a shackle in place
hOJjQDU.jpg

chop chop
OKTHJ4L.jpg

new ones that are longer... and since I plan on tow-barring this, these will work for that as well
bbUBW71.jpg

for those curious. the tie rod ends are
ES2234R (right) and ES 2233L (with the hole) . Those are 7/8-18 right and left thread. The 2234 is important because otherwise the TRE won't clear the cross shaft TRE. Both are 1 ton chevy TRE

the arm from the steering box to the right side high steer are ES2026R and ES2027L. These are necessary because they have a 30* range of motion the ones listed above have 12 degrees and it's not enough... they too are 1 ton Chev but are for the arm from the steering box to the pitman arm. They are 7/8-18 thread right and left as well.
Personally, I like the RuffStuff bungs, they come with 1 1/4" 'nut' to make adjustment easier.
Also, I used copper coat anti-seize in hopes that it doesn't seize again...the other ends were seized solid.

Next up (after the tow bar) is lower the panhard bar so that it's parallel with the cross shaft. Right now if you accelerate, it will try to go left when you let off the throttle. Easy to adjust to, however, I can fix it so I will

time to make a new cross arm
lWGBn3E.jpg

NrCLQ69.jpg

now we're getting there
zVFRDsS.jpg

now in black
noohKTT.jpg

these were a bad idea, seemed like a good idea at the time - hold the rope and shackle up... problem is it's too close to the narrow side of the winch plate so you couldn't get a shackle in place
hOJjQDU.jpg

chop chop
OKTHJ4L.jpg

new ones that are longer... and since I plan on tow-barring this, these will work for that as well
bbUBW71.jpg

for those curious. the tie rod ends are
ES2234R (right) and ES 2233L (with the hole) . Those are 7/8-18 right and left thread. The 2234 is important because otherwise the TRE won't clear the cross shaft TRE. Both are 1 ton chevy TRE

the arm from the steering box to the right side high steer are ES2026R and ES2027L. These are necessary because they have a 30* range of motion the ones listed above have 12 degrees and it's not enough... they too are 1 ton Chev but are for the arm from the steering box to the pitman arm. They are 7/8-18 thread right and left as well.
Personally, I like the RuffStuff bungs, they come with 1 1/4" 'nut' to make adjustment easier.
Also, I used copper coat anti-seize in hopes that it doesn't seize again...the other ends were seized solid.

Next up (after the tow bar) is lower the panhard bar so that it's parallel with the cross shaft. Right now if you accelerate, it will try to go left when you let off the throttle. Easy to adjust to, however, I can fix it so I will

Mr. Jits says you're a rookie
Nope, Chad's willing to attempt a lot of stuff in pretty precarious situations when he's wheeling. I don't care for dents or looking at the world upside down.
I'm still pretty certain that if you get yourself into the rocks, your truck will be belly up. :flipoff2:

Nope, Chad's willing to attempt a lot of stuff in pretty precarious situations when he's wheeling. I don't care for dents or looking at the world upside down.
I'm still pretty certain that if you get yourself into the rocks, your truck will be belly up. :flipoff2:

:rofl:

It kills me not to have pictures of my days when I worked at Squaw Valley - early 90s - (maybe someday the mover that stole them will post them online? dang, good thing I'm all over that) Ski in the winter, bar tend and wheel in the summer at such unknown places like the Rubicon, Fordyce, and Johnson Valley.... of course, then I had a "built" 59 FJ40.... built meaning 4" springs, shackles, and some HUGE 33" bias plies.

knocking on wood, though, I've yet to put one on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom