1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipwreck

Discussion in 'HardCore Corner' started by SuperBuickGuy, Sep 15, 2014.

1. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

Interesting stuff, especially the bit about the Bosch O2 sensor... there's no way it's going to be that easy, but it certainly isn't difficult to swap it to something else....

2. 74fj40

74fj40

What about ebl flash? Faster data rates, no chip swapping, additional inputs, fan control, etc.

3. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

now you're speaking Steve. No one understands Steve... explain?

4. 74fj40

74fj40

New daughter board for your ecm EBL_Flash

5. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

that's cool... but it brings up the biggest problem with this system.... spending any money on it is money I could spend on upgrading to an FI tech system - and that is completely programmable... a new, burned chip from Howell's is $175, at that price point, I'm okay with testing... but at $435, I think that is beyond my redline. thanks, I'll store that away for future reference.

6. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

okay back to this thing.... it's been missing, some claim that the root cause is using a Bosch O2 sensor.... so it's changed, we'll see
    [​IMG]
    bosch is on the left

two spark plug wires had inclusions
    [​IMG]

fortunately, I have spares
    [​IMG]

driver's side, front to rear
    [​IMG]

now drive it a bit - it still seems to have a slight miss so I guess I'll check the other side and the cap.....

7. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

8. toyotaspeed90

toyotaspeed90

9. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

yes, but I know the angle is the close for my Colorado and spot on for my 94 Suburban... :D

it's funny, I've no use for a snorkel on my '40, but on my overland vehicles - to get the air inlet up and above the dust is a good thing.

toyotaspeed90 likes this.
  10. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

time to fix oil issues
    the rear has leaked, stopped leaking, then leaked again for awhile. time to replace
    [​IMG]

I also see I have a slight leak from the ps pump and the oil pressure has never made me happy. Even with the high volume it's 20 psi and the ifters start rattling (under load). The right fix is pull it apart and find out why it's losing pressure (likely there's a crack somewhere)... the other fix is to simply increase the pressure. stay tuned for how simple this is.

11. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

I'm still smiling. A DNR volunteer came to me in the parking lot, he drives a pretty sweet rig, and talked to me about mine then said "that is the best rig there is here at Walker" dang.... made me :D

this rig
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  12. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

select pictures
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what's funny is that rock has been climbed by me about every time and been photographed each time. Up is easy, the pucker factor is driving off because all you see is abyss. Thanks for the pictures Steve.

abtx4x4 likes this.
  13. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

I have a bunch of things to do, but first is clean it up.
    [​IMG]

new hub is painted
    [​IMG]

I'm at least 6 weeks behind my normal date to get this off
    [​IMG]

14. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

2 different parts stores, no one had a 14 bolt spindle seal in stock.... what the bloody hell? I suppose spark plugs for a sbc are special order as well?

other issues. I'm going to move the fuel tank - despite having insulation on top of the muffler, it's still too hot, which, interestingly, is mostly because I have cats on it. I'm not losing the cats, so where the batteries are will be the new fuel tank and the batteries will go under the passenger seat.... and while I'm at it, I may dump the old TBI and put a newer system in place... or 'just' put the 6.0 in. decisions, decisions. For now, I think I'll simply wrap the muffler with header wrap - not a permanent solution but should last the summer.

and to save someone some typing. I thought about single exhaust out the driver's side - the problem is getting the crossover in place, there is really no room with the linked front suspension.

15. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

I've been here before
    [​IMG]
    dammit.... I ordered the wrong hub
    [​IMG]
    then looking at the end - yeah, I need to replace it
    [​IMG]
    tomorrow look for a hub
    [​IMG]

then to the oil pan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] my prediction - the guy who built the bottom end didn't put the oil galley plug in. I base that on there being very little oil in the filter.... sigh

16. YMT

YMT

T
    That Dyna is awesome!!!

SuperBuickGuy likes this.
  17. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

Pan is back on
    [​IMG]
    waiting on a non-bypass filter adapter.... the plug was in the engine - which leaves 2 options - either the bypass isn't working right (not likely) or the pickup was too close to the pan...
    [​IMG]
    onto other stuff... I bought a new, used hub then decided the outer bearing was too crunchy.... that I'll have tomorrow
    [​IMG]

18. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

Pan is back on
    [​IMG]
    waiting on a non-bypass filter adapter.... the plug was in the engine - which leaves 2 options - either the bypass isn't working right (not likely) or the pickup was too close to the pan...
    [​IMG]
    onto other stuff... I bought a new, used hub then decided the outer bearing was too crunchy.... that I'll have tomorrow
    [​IMG]

19. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

According to NAPA, the closest bearing is Salt Lake City. According to Amazon, I can have it today (for less then NAPA charges).... crossing fingers that Amazon is right - usually they are, but when they're not.... ugh.

20. SuperBuickGuy

SuperBuickGuy

it came, I destroyed it, used another one that I had... oh well, thanks Amazon

so waiting still for the non-bypass filter adapter - so I bolted this one back on and tried it. it works - oil pressure cold is almost 80 psi (about 20 more then before and this is with lighter weight oil)
    [​IMG]
    shortened the dipstick tube so it reads correctly with 6 quarts (including filter)
    [​IMG]
    taking the burrs off
    [​IMG]

back together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

still lots to do, but this way a friend can use the lift on Sunday .... I'm thinking it'll be a radio day - I need to remove the CB, install a different (same, just another one) radio, pull the radio with the remote face then put that in my Colorado.... I also got the toolbox loaded - I've decided one "go" kit, one "toolkit" and one "med" kit that will transport between my various vehicles. I may go so far as one tow kit (winch, snatch blocks, tow ropes, snatch ropes, etc). The idea I'm working on is they lock in specific places in each vehicle. More on this with the Colorado and Suburban threads.

21. toyotaspeed90

toyotaspeed90

I'm 90% sure that guy lives not far from here. I recognize the vehicle from my drive home.....

SuperBuickGuy likes this.