Builds Shipwreck (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

same spot
fKFWLVS.jpg

OvXdvDx.jpg

I still can't believe how much this rig makes what was challenging into fairly routine or even boring.

Can you do the math on this angle

IMG_6407.JPG

This thread would be about a quarter of the current pages without the random pics. Give us more tech, particularly with the lathe.

Not all of my posts have been positively received (and I've gotten grief about randomness), so I limit what I post here... but as you asked - here it is.

I bought a Saimp lathe. Saimp is an Italian company who is still in business-ish (ownership changes, public offering, now some other company who proclaims proudly its Siamp roots), this model is early 60s. It has power feed in both directions, water cooling, 14x42, gap bed, 2" through spindle, it also does metric, SAE, and whitworth (which I had no idea was a thing until I bought the lathe).

I paid $400 for it. Yes, I got a good deal, however, I bought it as a paperweight - it wasn't under power, which is a huge risk in precision equipment.

so plans are underway - to get the 3 phase into single phase by using a VFD. If you don't know what they are.... here's a bit of a primer - the short is they can fake the 3rd leg for 3 phase and allow you to run 3 phase on single phase power. but wait, there's more (in my best Billy Mays voice), because you now have control of the frequency, you can speed or slow the motor quite a bit with a simple dial knob, you can also program an emergency stop that uses the motor to stop the spindle, it also can reverse in 1/4 turn of the spindle.... I've seen this work and I like it so much that I'm going to change my press brake motor back to 3 phase then control it with a VFD.... so pictures

the controller on the wall
rdrLPzh.jpg

KrqeKbW.jpg

CpO8uDd.jpg

y7wRkwb.jpg

Last edited:
As for the trailer - not sure I'd add anything to anything by posting about it. It's a trailer, you cut a bunch of steel into steel bits then weld them all back together is something flat with wheels in the middle. Of course, the picture above is it upside down - because that's the way you build trailers.
The basic is 6x16 tilt 7000# trailer.

Not being coy or anything but at a loss of anything to say about it.

For what it's worth, I freely admit that I know very little and appreciate your documentation. I don't know enough to know if what you're building is a good or bad idea, but it sure as hell seems to be working for you!

Back to your response about the suspension - what you mentioned seems to make sense. I imagine it's something like the King of the Hammers offroad racers I've seen - where they tend to rise up in the center under hard acceleration instead of squatting in the rear.

From watching his 40 in action I can tell you that it works really well.

I can't say much about his rear squatting, thankfully we have lots of trees and bushes to hide that.

For what it's worth, I freely admit that I know very little and appreciate your documentation. I don't know enough to know if what you're building is a good or bad idea, but it sure as hell seems to be working for you!

Back to your response about the suspension - what you mentioned seems to make sense. I imagine it's something like the King of the Hammers offroad racers I've seen - where they tend to rise up in the center under hard acceleration instead of squatting in the rear.

that action plants suspensions, if it squats that is unloading the rear. On a long wheel base vehicle, it doesn't make as much difference but on short wheelbase, I'm at 95", it makes a lot of difference.

the next step of that is that you decide when and how that IC happens. As you travel through your suspension range, the IC changes.... and that's why my first question to anyone who wants to build a 4x4 is "what are you going to do with it, be specific."

and now the rear axle is leaking worse then ever...I must have gotten something caught in the seal during the last outing.... ah well, just need to get the trailer out of the shop.
in other news, birds were trying to nest in it. That's twice in as many cars and days this week - Wednesday, I went out to my Colorado and there was a tiny bird inside... been trapped at least all night, poor thing. That said, it survived the ordeal. I'm so glad I'm not the 'perfect' car kind of person, bird crap on the dash? no biggie, scratch the top of the tailgate - it's a truck....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom