Builds Shipwreck (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In a long round about way I had a similar experience.

I had a piece of my house blow off from some high winds one day, it covered up part of the bottom side of the rafters that covers my front porch, about 3 months later some pigeons moved in. I didn’t think much of it. Figured they would lay eggs and move on. Boy was I wrong.... they took over. Another 6 months go by, and I have a new born (days old) and a very hormonal wife. I walk in the living room and my wife is sitting there crying. Just balling her eyes out. She says a pigeon fell from the next and broke its leg. I look out the window and sure as s***, there’s a pigeon, two broke legs and it’s fluttering around while it’s pigeon friends are sitting next to it watching. So I think we’ll i know pigeons have diseases and being that we have a new born I don’t want any part of this... I posted on the community website and a nice girl came and picked up the pigeon to bring it to the vet. I assume they put it down. No sense in reviving a pigeon. 1 week later. My wife is in our bedroom and hears fluttering at the window. Pulls back the curtain and the pigeon is sticking its head through the cracked window!!! I had the screens out for an ac machine... that was the last straw. I pulled all the vinyl siding off the covered porch and all the vinyl bottom pieces. There was still one pigeon that just would not leave. I had to push it out with a broom. Once I had him out, I pushed him into the driveway and into some shade under my Silverado. Scooped up about ten pounds of pigeon s***, filled a weed sprayer with a gallon of bleach and the rest water. Went to town on the rafters down the front porch. Did that twice. Let it dry. Pressure washed everything. Noticed that after awhile the pigeon was gone. Figured it got the point and flew off.

About a week goes by, I notice at work there’s some pigeon s*** under my truck underneath the spare tire. I think that’s weird and go on with my business. A day goes by and I head out to work a see about ten pigeon s***s under my truck on the street. Same place, under the spare tire. I get a closer look, and there it was, a pigeon sitting on top of my spare tire and under my bed.... at this point I’ve put about 150 miles on my truck. That little guy must of had a scary ride for awhile...

Still to this day pigeons try to get back into the rafters but I’ve blocked it off with wood.

the air inlets for my attic are 2" holes that were drilled above the cladding. I had to put screens behind every one of them because sparrows kept trying (one succeeded) to build a nest in the attic. The one that succeeded had found the one screen that wasn't 100% tight. After I fixed it, every year for a couple years it'd try to get back in. Eventually I solved that problem - but yeah, you'd think they'd get the hint.

Time to see if I can get this over without squishing me
first, time to put some safety chain loops on
DZ4UaM8.jpg

zGkwtQA.jpg

Kinsey says I don't like what you're planning, I'm outta here
IbziBqi.jpg

she's not dumb
k3TZf3f.jpg

jhcQ9om.jpg

dbHb3lb.jpg

nothing sketchy about this....
0p2ghiq.jpg

jnPwXfx.jpg

vyc3dlg.jpg

safe
TszHuoS.jpg

this is the "work really hard to decide you're going to replace them"
JJL051H.jpg

s2fZJLB.jpg

BOlIe9n.jpg

it tilts
Ny0NVgW.jpg

c9zk1UI.jpg

not shabby, the axle is about in the spot it would be with tires on it
Ptz5Cp3.jpg

ameOoES.jpg

now time to finish up the welding, build the fenders, paint it, then use it.... and wire it, of course.... hopefully I'll paint it Sunday. - that simply requires getting it ready to wire and the running boards/fenders put on... now to decide what color.... I honestly don't know

so here it was leaking

6LwnLxp.jpg

coming from the hub
RmmBLvX.jpg

ZEcz8PJ.jpg

which is good and bad - what happened was the bolts backed off again. On a whim, I measured the bolt depth.... the bolts were too long... ah ha, I said. And I fixed it
then cleaned the wheel and washed it
the end for now

I also tested out my low profile rims... pretty sweet, no?
kQZcZA9.jpg

it looks so nice like this
5TTKbK6.jpg

nope, that's not a finished picture

first, that tube, the one with the loosely screwed on cap... yeah, there's oil under it - do ask me how I know... but do put ear plugs in the children before you do..
VshBrtp.jpg

it's a motor
bdfowEB.jpg

and it's wired for 240... damn
YtOnfEY.jpg

so I checked everything else.... no joy, some minor problems but I think the motor has an issue. That doesn't mean run to new quite yet, the next update will include that motor pulled apart to be sure it doesn't have carbon built up on the brushes... if not, then to a rebuild shop.

With that said, a Baldor CEM3211T is a perfect replacement... so the 'limit' on fixing it is somewhere around the 480 that a new one sells for. I need to measure the bolt spacing on the front and the shaft size to see how easy a replacement would be. The motor is 3.5 hp, 3 phase, 1725 giri. That translates into a 3 hp motor with 1725 rpms (or rounds, as they say in Italian).

I should give a bit of an explanation on the bad words. That oil drain drops right on top of the pulley and motor (which also informs two other things: first, how oil got into the motor since it is in a sealed compartment and second: why I needed to add oil to the upper gear box).... yes, I said many many bad words... like, well, you know my best word for blithering, know-nothing idiot).

warning, boring content - don't like it? go away.

wiring view
s8qKXEK.jpg

end view
zIuhHKX.jpg

there was a day when this was almost my most used tool
g04tSAu.jpg

1 1/8" shaft
eI2wFwK.jpg

and 4 3/16 bolt spacing on the front
which means that motor listed about interchanges... but first I'll haul it down to be check - what you can't smell is the burned oil smell on the mounting end....

Had I known that off-topic was causing such pain among those who bi**h, I'd be posting all the other stuff I do

like today, putting 12v powered a/c in my overlanding suburban

IZTAZX1.jpg

back to the requested lathe stuff....

the VFD was too small, I took the motor to a shop in a nearby town and it was tested - 60 year old motor and it still works, I may have to tone down my hatred of all things mechanical Italian.

For those interested in VFD - you need to size the VFD at least 25% larger and better 50% larger then the motor's hp. That is in direct opposition to what was said on the video I posted about VFD controllers.... in the end it costs more to go with the VFD then a new motor, but dynamic braking, quick-reversing (for things like threading), and the ability to control the motor speed with a dial make VFD a better option...

Post what ever you like it’s your thread who gives a s*** what people think or say.

It’s always good reading what other people do for projects

Post what ever you like it’s your thread who gives a s*** what people think or say.

It’s always good reading what other people do for projects

I do limit what I post here to at least tangentially related to Toyotas - the reason I keep the same screen name across forums is so if anyone cares, it's just a google search of my name for links to the other stuff I play with... there is a reason for 'Buick' in the name.

yep, it's the dog's name...

of course, because he's got a big grill
3cusNq1.jpg

I'm looking at the weather and wondering if it's time to put the top back on.... I figured I'd have another month so I could get all the hardware powder coated - I don't think we're going to get a full 30 days of sun this summer....

I am planning to run the Naches Wagon Trail this Saturday or Sunday. You are welcome to come along. Especially since nobody else seems to want to go wheeling. I hope the weather plays nice...

I am planning to run the Naches Wagon Trail this Saturday or Sunday. You are welcome to come along. Especially since nobody else seems to want to go wheeling. I hope the weather plays nice...
I can't this weekend or next. Wife is taking a national, trailing, certification test for one of the bloodhounds so prep for travel this weekend, then travel and test next. (prep includes putting the a/c in and water tank).

I want to wheel, problem is summer is pretty packed with stuff.

time for a quick fix
9QoTAsu.jpg

my guess is the temp sender is sending the wrong information to the computer.
ImaOb08.jpg

so I bought another sender and ran the gauge to the new sender (because the wire is long enough) then plugged the computer sender into the now abandoned temp gauge sender
and it seems to have fixed it. took it for a spin, no sputtering while cold ... crossing fingers but maybe it's finally all working right. Eventually I'll put the sender plug in the head then the gauge plug back - but right that requires some wiring and it's warm so not yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom