Builds Shipwreck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i run weld-on BL on the 40 since 2012 with 35 krawler SUA reverse shackle and i can drive with one finger and it do not wander ,in fact it drive better than the bj42 with 33x10.5 AT on alu rimes and 2.5"OME suspension , this one do wander and follow track and need to be corrected like piloting a cessna :steer:

I like this idea. Waiting to see the pics of finished product and hear how it works. My parts washer sets on a 20 gallon barrel and can't be sealed, so the solvent does evaporate over time.

Don

You know, I never did complete this thought. So it is together and I use it fairly regularly. Originally, I went with just air pressure to draw fluid out of the 5 gallon bucket of cleaner. It works, sort of, there are a couple issues. 1) if you want to soak anything, getting enough cleaner into the wash tray takes a coon's age, and 2) while it does an amazing job of blasting stuff off (air pressure with some cleaner) it creates a fog that is tough to see through. The next update, and it's current state is I have a 12v fuel pump pushing fluid through the nozzle and I can add air pressure to it. Still has the same problem about fog, but it works a lot better. Next up is going to be attaching a brush to the nozzle so that fluid comes through the brush. I don't use it a lot, but it really does work quite well. I also cut the gloves out... not sure that was a good idea, but I'm not putting them back. Most times when I use it, I've got latex gloves on - and those do not fit with my hands in them inside the gloves that come with the machine....

upgrades will eventually be a larger-volume fuel pump, a switch on the pump, and a brush on the nozzle...

You know, I never did complete this thought. So it is together and I use it fairly regularly. Originally, I went with just air pressure to draw fluid out of the 5 gallon bucket of cleaner. It works, sort of, there are a couple issues. 1) if you want to soak anything, getting enough cleaner into the wash tray takes a coon's age, and 2) while it does an amazing job of blasting stuff off (air pressure with some cleaner) it creates a fog that is tough to see through. The next update, and it's current state is I have a 12v fuel pump pushing fluid through the nozzle and I can add air pressure to it. Still has the same problem about fog, but it works a lot better. Next up is going to be attaching a brush to the nozzle so that fluid comes through the brush. I don't use it a lot, but it really does work quite well. I also cut the gloves out... not sure that was a good idea, but I'm not putting them back. Most times when I use it, I've got latex gloves on - and those do not fit with my hands in them inside the gloves that come with the machine....

upgrades will eventually be a larger-volume fuel pump, a switch on the pump, and a brush on the nozzle...

Thank you for this update. I actually forgot all about this, so your update means that I need to go back and refresh my memory. Do you remember what page this came up on?

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that really fits me. I can't remember the first line ;), but the second line was "I miss my memory the most."

Don

So I had convinced myself that I needed to parallel the panhard and do a high-steer to the steering to tame the beast. Before I got too far, I went back to my suspension/steering books and came to the conclusion that zero camber was to blame. It's a Ford axle, so it comes from the factory with nearly 3.0 degrees of positive caster... too much in my opinion so I bought alignment shims and zero'd it. Which was okay with the narrower wheels, but once I got the wider, bead-locks it became nearly undriveable.

so tonight, since my 'burb didn't get back (needs more parts), I spent an hour on this.

and it drives perfect. So for those curious - these are the specs, toe-in 1/4" - call that 2 degrees (at the rim), camber .75 degrees positive, caster 2.50 degrees positive - all at ride height.

Reactions: SMG
Today was a fun day - I got to show off the '40 and it worked awesome. 2 years to build, 1 year to dial in... another year to perfect it :)
One of the things I appreciate most is the reaction people have to it, overwhelmingly positive (in fact, no one has said anything negative about it in person - weird, no?) - and now I enjoy driving it since I figured the steering stuff out. There will be a few upgrades (such as rear coil overs) but at this point it's time to have fun with it before I have to make it magazine perfect again

anyway, because the sun has shown on us, it's time to take the top off.

and put the alien top on

I really like this thing... no flapping, stops the harsh wind. I have my bikini top for when it gets soggy, but this is the way it runs until October

Other future plans include doing the powder coating that would have probably killed the build had I done them when I was building it - at this point it looks like about $1500 in powder coating - which, at the time, probably would have shelved this. The point is, do the really hard-to-change-stuff and spend the money there (axles, blasting and coating the frame, coating the floors and underfloor) then you can pull bits off later and circle back - in my case, the grill, the surround, the bezel, the brush bar, the soft-top framework, the fenders and the flares will get coating. I may even pull the cage and get it coated too as I have a couple mods I want to do to it.... all easy, all will be done in a month or less....

Got a new tool, this thing is cool
P5120574_zpsmynscaqv.jpg

and it cuts quite easily
P5120575_zpsqyizpj6r.jpg

making chips
P5120576_zpsb53aqszv.jpg

this was the coolest part.... square, no heat.... large chunk, didn't take 30 seconds to go through it
P5120577_zpsj3ueabbc.jpg

and it came with 2 blades for less then $200 - do wear safety glasses, it tends to through chips all over the place

Got a new tool, this thing is cool
P5120574_zpsmynscaqv.jpg

and it cuts quite easily
P5120575_zpsqyizpj6r.jpg

making chips
P5120576_zpsb53aqszv.jpg

this was the coolest part.... square, no heat.... large chunk, didn't take 30 seconds to go through it
P5120577_zpsj3ueabbc.jpg

and it came with 2 blades for less then $200 - do wear safety glasses, it tends to through chips all over the place

I got one for the shop about a month ago after a coworker told me about how well they cut. I was pretty skeptical, but it's pretty amazing. I've got a lot of square tubing with it the past month with out any issue.

how is it holding up? I can't see getting rid of my bandsaw or chop saw (like I originally envisioned).
I am surprised at how quiet it is - I remember the good-old-days of chopping metal studs with a wood chop saw and the noise.... I think my ears are still ringing here 30 odd years later (or maybe because I did sheet metal work for 20). This isn't that bad, in comparison (still wear hearing protection, but it's not obscene noise that will get my neighbors abuzz).

Noise is tolerable for me - I'm deaf in one ear so everything is pretty much tolerable... So far so good I haven't had any issues. I keep checking for rough cuts but it's still cutting pretty smooth. I'm sure I'll have to change the blade out before too long though. I've used it almost daily for the last month to finish up this project.

You're right about the safety glassed though. I always harp on people for not wearing them in my shop, but I never do myself. I keep a pair hanging up right next to it. It throws off a lot of chips.

So despite the distraction of buying another Buick (I swear, no more) I did get stuff done so I am ready with this for the overland rally... I did find a leaking axle seal but it doesn't seem to be leaking enough that I can't stay ahead of it so I'm not going to worry about it.... *whistling*
one of the things to do was remove the glove from my winch

I did notice the sheathing started to melt a bit which isn't cool - however, it seems as strong as before - so we'll see if this really becomes an issue
the issue was the bolt holding the rope didn't hold and the drum seems like it was waxed.... so I did another 'fix' but this time between the heat and the clamps it should work... if not, complaint department is in its normal place (not here)

Here you will notice how well I'm wrapping the drum, nice, even lines.... not through the fairlead DAMMIT... oh wait

I can take my hook apart.... whew

ready for the next extraction

I can't believe all the stupid little rust spots.... I think our illustrious government decided to sneak some salt onto the roads this year (they're only supposed to use it in emergencies).... ugh oh well, I actually planned for this when I built it so all the bits that are problematic are removeable so they can be cleaned and treated - but it's summer, so I'm still driving it

how do you like your smittybilt winch? i put one on my dd fj62 and its barely a year old and im already having issues with the plug for the controller. poor pin fit as i have to mess with it everytime I change directions on the winch. have you modded yours in anyway to prevent this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom