Shipping Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone give me the best way to get a transfer case some other odds and ends from Arkansas to North Carolina. MUDship? FEDEX, freight. Does it have to be crated or can it be on a pallet and banded down and shrink wrapped? Even a plastic storage box?

depends on the "odds and ends". Axle housings or spring bushings?
Anything under 100 lbs is better Fed Ex Ground. Freight doesn't start paying off unless the item is huge or the pallet weight is over 150.
A 40 tcase is not that heavy although you'd want a box that's pretty stout. There's a lot of sharp things that will poke through the box.
Double wall and a lot of stuffing. Pay attention to the sharp points.

UPS and FedEx have freight options but like lcwizard said it doesn't pay off until your in the 150lb+ range. I ship stuff all the time at work using boxes, plastic totes, and pallets.
Roadrunner is the cheapest but slowest. Fastenal is cheap but no tracking. I usually go with R&L or USP on all my LTL freight.

depends on the "odds and ends". Axle housings or spring bushings?
Anything under 100 lbs is better Fed Ex Ground. Freight doesn't start paying off unless the item is huge or the pallet weight is over 150.
A 40 tcase is not that heavy although you'd want a box that's pretty stout. There's a lot of sharp things that will poke through the box.
Double wall and a lot of stuffing. Pay attention to the sharp points.
Shipping a TC, Power steering components/steering linkage/and a AC compressor

Fastenal is a disorganized business but their hardware and cheep freight make it worth dealing with them. Bring your patience.

Put all on a pallet band the items to the pallet. The size of the Pallet and height with UPS Freight goes by the size and not the weight. Put loose items in a box and band it to the pallet. then shrink wrap it. Call around to your local The UPS Store and they can make the arrangements for you. Some The UPS Stores have banding material and can band it for you. The smaller you make the Pallet the cheaper it is. Just make sure a fork lift can still pick it up. You will get a tracking number with them and you will get declared value of insurance. Whether or not it is covered on insurance depends on how good you palletize it and protect the items from damage. If the UPS Store palletizes it for you they are on the hook for guaranteeing the packing and shipping. They may not be the cheapest but they are the best. I owned one of their stores for 26 years and 20 days. PM me if you have further questions.
Shipmag

you can ship from one fastenal store to another fastenal store.
if you strap it down to a pallet, they will ship it.
Not all Fastenal stores can handle pallets, they don't all have docks and/or forklifts.

I had a rear hatch door, including glass, header, support bars, etc all shipped from GA to MA by Greyhound. Worked out well, even have tracking. They ship depot to depot, but you can go online to select the locations closest to the shipper and receiver.

Uship is good, I've had good experience with them from an outboard motor to a motorcycle. Put it on the uship sight and then shippers will give you bids on how much to get it to you and you pick who you want. Various ways of transport they will describe to you. I couldn't beat the price.

I just had a three speed transmission and transfer case ( they were assembled) shipped from California to New Orleans.it cost $145.00

It was shipped by UPS ground

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom