Shifter gets stuck when moving left to right

My 60 has 300k miles on the 4 speed. Needs a little double clutching to get into 3rd smoothly but otherwise has been great, but a new issue came up recently.

In neutral when moving the shifter from left to right it gets stuck and does not want to come back to the left / 1-2 side. A little tap will pop it over but it’s a bit of pain and I’d like to fix it. Reverse works perfectly. It feels like the bottom of the selector is getting caught up when moving from the 1-2 shift barrel to the 3-4 shift barrel. Looking at trans internals in the FSM I don’t see any clear failure that would cause this.

Common issue? Any ideas greatly appreciated! Pulling the engine on my old Audi now so hoping I can fix this with the trans in the truck.

first try replacing the shifter seat, they will wear out
or
you could try pulling up on the shifter stalk when shifting and see if that helps, if it does it is the seat.

Good call! When I pull up it mostly goes away. Bought a new cup/bushing from Toyota (part # 33505-60011) and will install next weekend. I’ll report back and post a few pics here.

Got the new shifter seat / bushing and it totally fixed it. The old seat was falling to pieces. A few notes for others who need to do this:

- The part number for the shifter seat is 33505-60011 and the part number for the dust boot is 33555-55011. Both are available from Toyota.
- I think you could do it without pulling up the carpet by accessing the four screws that hold the shifter boot in place.
- I removed the carpet and ordered a new carpet from dnp. I've wanted to replace the carpet for a while and used this as an excuse.
- My dust boot was also toast and I think it's worth replacing regardless as a new one is $15 from the dealer.
- There's a special tool to remove the shift lever but it's not at all necessary. You just need to push down and turn. Not much force needed.
- I pulled the rest of my carpet to get ready for the new one. Pulling it is easy. Replacing sounds like a full day job.

Photos in no particular order.

IMG_6029.JPG

IMG_6027.JPG

IMG_6026.JPG

IMG_6024.JPG

IMG_6023.JPG

Reactions: OSS

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom