Shifter gets stuck when moving left to right (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 60 has 300k miles on the 4 speed. Needs a little double clutching to get into 3rd smoothly but otherwise has been great, but a new issue came up recently.

In neutral when moving the shifter from left to right it gets stuck and does not want to come back to the left / 1-2 side. A little tap will pop it over but it’s a bit of pain and I’d like to fix it. Reverse works perfectly. It feels like the bottom of the selector is getting caught up when moving from the 1-2 shift barrel to the 3-4 shift barrel. Looking at trans internals in the FSM I don’t see any clear failure that would cause this.

Common issue? Any ideas greatly appreciated! Pulling the engine on my old Audi now so hoping I can fix this with the trans in the truck.

first try replacing the shifter seat, they will wear out
or
you could try pulling up on the shifter stalk when shifting and see if that helps, if it does it is the seat.

Good call! When I pull up it mostly goes away. Bought a new cup/bushing from Toyota (part # 33505-60011) and will install next weekend. I’ll report back and post a few pics here.

Got the new shifter seat / bushing and it totally fixed it. The old seat was falling to pieces. A few notes for others who need to do this:

- The part number for the shifter seat is 33505-60011 and the part number for the dust boot is 33555-55011. Both are available from Toyota.
- I think you could do it without pulling up the carpet by accessing the four screws that hold the shifter boot in place.
- I removed the carpet and ordered a new carpet from dnp. I've wanted to replace the carpet for a while and used this as an excuse.
- My dust boot was also toast and I think it's worth replacing regardless as a new one is $15 from the dealer.
- There's a special tool to remove the shift lever but it's not at all necessary. You just need to push down and turn. Not much force needed.
- I pulled the rest of my carpet to get ready for the new one. Pulling it is easy. Replacing sounds like a full day job.

Photos in no particular order.

IMG_6029.JPG

IMG_6027.JPG

IMG_6026.JPG

IMG_6024.JPG

IMG_6023.JPG

Inner boot slides right on. Super easy. I used gear oil for lube as whatever you put on there would just get washed away by gear oil anyway as the shift mechanism is exposed to the oil from the gearbox.

The two riveted side pins can get loose and allow too much slop in the shifter as moves across the forks.

Did mine today…easy job.

This is one of those oddball parts that lasts a long time, but when it starts to wear can be an annoying one to track down. I wish there was a delrin part available similar to the other Toyota 5spd shifter seats sold by Marlin Crawler (none of which are nearly as big as the H42 or H55F seat).

To be honest I'm surprised there isn't already one available.

@NLXTACY I know you've got the delrin wiper linkage bushing and shifter bushing; what's your thought on these?

Last edited:
Are you going to put down any insulation/ heat material on the floor in preparation for the carpet?

let us know how it goes, I’m about to tackle mine, had the carpet for awhile now

^^^

Here’s my thinking: my old one also looked pretty good when I got in there the other day, but I already had the part, and after the trouble to get there and then to button it all up…I wasn’t about to not replace it. I say replace it.

^^^

Here’s my thinking: my old one also looked pretty good when I got in there the other day, but I already had the part, and after the trouble to get there and then to button it all up…I wasn’t about to not replace it. I say replace it.
I hear ya, ordering it today. WYIT wins again.

Last edited:
Ok y’all, I’m finally getting around to replacing the seat and I’m having a hard time getting the shifter back in. It’s not wanting to clear the two tabs. I feel like it slips into place but the shifter base sits at an angle and won’t go down far enough to clear the notches. Any tips? Tia

IMG_1818.jpeg

I hope the transmission was in neutral when the stick shift lever was pulled out.
If not, god help you.
The shift lever normally goes right back in with no fuss.

I hope the transmission was in neutral when the stick shift lever was pulled out.
If not, god help you.
The shift lever normally goes right back in with no fuss.
This right here.

I made that mistake ONCE and it took me well over an hour if finagling with it to finally get it back into place correctly.

@Moonglow96 you're not completely boned, but you're in for a boatload of irritation trying to pinpoint that one exact spot to get it back in correctly. Just keep your cool and keep messing with it. You'll eventually get it positioned right.

This right here.

I made that mistake ONCE and it took me well over an hour if finagling with it to finally get it back into place correctly.

@Moonglow96 you're not completely boned, but you're in for a boatload of irritation trying to pinpoint that one exact spot to get it back in correctly. Just keep your cool and keep messing with it. You'll eventually get it positioned right.
Thanks man. It’s always something it seems. I must admit, keeping my cool is a challenge right now. I appreciate the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom