Shell Ivory question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I feel good about the color. I’ll get the specifics on the paint. Pretty sure it was ppg, but I’ll confirm.

We did a cross reference of clean old parts a while back (tops and bezels), and we came up with a "modern" code that was the closest match.
The info is here somewhere, (will check my other computer later) and yes, not "white". really more of a cream...the pics in post #16 look about correct.

We did a cross reference of clean old parts a while back (tops and bezels), and we came up with a "modern" code that was the closest match.
The info is here somewhere, (will check my other computer later) and yes, not "white". really more of a cream...the pics in post #16 look about correct.

That was a DuPont Code LS123 if I remember correctly. It’s what I used on my 1962 and it seems accurate. It appears more gray than beige like the photons above, but internet photos are almost meaningless when it comes to color matching.

I went in search of Shell Ivory for the bezel and roof of my ‘65 and couldn’t find anyone who had a formula for that code. Finally gave up and ordered from TCP Global online. The paint arrived and it was THE EXACT SAME SHADE- as my grandmother’s hearing aid. It didn’t look anything like any pictures I had seen of newer or older cruisers and I didn’t like it anyway! Definitely a beige/tan color and didn’t look great next to Seminole Red. I took it to my Brother-in-law who mixes paint for our LAPS and we went through his paint chip collection. I found LS 122 and LS 123 to be very close to the Lily White T-403 Chip. He mixed me up a quart of LS 122, I sprayed my bezel and am very happy with the color. It looks very much like pictures I’ve seen of clean old bezels and most of the newer, repainted ones.
264C70FD-B8EE-4AAF-874F-2466EAC0FD84.jpeg

I went to Home Depot, Rustoleum Shell White. Then top coated with matte clear. Close enough. I use matte clear as it is closer to the enamel look. Yes I know it is upside down. I just set it there to get a picture
IMG_5647.JPG

IMG_5648.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom