Shackle mount welded to bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About to upgrade the suspension and install my new rear bumper in the near future and noticed this on my 1979 BJ40. The shackle mounts (not sure what they are called) are welded to the bumper.

is this normal?

27627F11-FA2E-4C68-9B85-63E7C814D78F.jpeg

C568FB16-7695-4CFD-8382-E3EF9FB17E17.jpeg

About to upgrade the suspension and install my new rear bumper in the near future and noticed this on my 1979 BJ40. The shackle mounts (not sure what they are called) are welded to the bumper.

is this normal?

View attachment 2249347

View attachment 2249348

really wouldn't call that welded

You have some work to do. Someone in the past really messed things up. Take a look at what should be.

View attachment 2249398

View attachment 2249399

OP is the rear end not the front

The weld doesn't look original but welding the perch there is. That's not the rear bumper, it's the rear cross member.

And it should be attached to the frame, not the cross member or a bumper.

not original factory weld but that appears to be the exact weld configuration when it rolled off factory floor
The factory weld there is almost more of a tack weld. I replaced my rear bumper last year and this
weld ground off fairly easily (plus removing rivets) and then I slipped out and replaced the
bumper / cross member.

Some time those get flipped around to get a better shackle angle. I did that to mine when I ran OME's years ago. It put an end to a harsh ride caused by my shackles being straight up and down. OME's, or any lift spring has a tendency to do that.

not original factory weld but that appears to be the exact weld configuration when it rolled off factory floor
The factory weld there is almost more of a tack weld. I replaced my rear bumper last year and this
weld ground off fairly easily (plus removing rivets) and then I slipped out and replaced the
bumper / cross member.

I see exactly what you are talking about with the weld and rivets. When you replaced the bumper/cross member did you do rivets and weld or bolts and weld? Or just bolts?

Guys. Original bumperettes were bolted to the rear crossmember. Aftermarket bumpers mount to the rear crossmember. It is not a bumper. I promise.
(Simply trying to make it clear.)

Guys. Original bumperettes were bolted to the rear crossmember. Aftermarket bumpers mount to the rear crossmember. It is not a bumper. I promise.
(Simply trying to make it clear.)

Thanks! I’m still learning the proper names for a lot of stuff. I also have new bumperettes to add to the cross member once installed. 👍

I see exactly what you are talking about with the weld and rivets. When you replaced the bumper/cross member did you do rivets and weld or bolts and weld? Or just bolts?

I used pan head bolts that looked exactly like riveted heads. These were higher strength bolts. I then
tack welded the perch exactly like original weld. BTW...I got my new rear frame member ... rear bumper ...
whatever you want to call it from @Awl_TEQ if thats what you're trying to do.

Last edited:
Like said, normal, but not original weld. And that’s a little bit too far back.

In reading about shackle angle I wonder if it was placed that far back for a reason? So are you saying it should not be welded to the cross member at all? But moved forward and welded to the frame only?

It extends about 2 inches over onto the cross member.

unless a PO installed longer leaf springs making it necessary to move the hanger that far rearward.
if you still had stock springs the shackle would want to invert

I’d at least make sure the spring load goes into the frame, not just through the rear cross member into the frame. So some overlap is probably ok, other factors notwithstanding.

In reading about shackle angle I wonder if it was placed that far back for a reason? So are you saying it should not be welded to the cross member at all? But moved forward and welded to the frame only?
Maybe there is been a reason (longer spring packs), but with springs meant for 40-series there is no reason, only makes it bad.

That’s by the way the front shackle mounting bracket which is now welded to the rear.

This is the original position:
394F6AE4-C9FB-438D-BE1D-5FAEA9528CCF.jpeg
ACF6A583-443C-414F-A331-A9D0C1070E73.jpeg

I used the front shackle mounts too, welded them as front as possible:
180AA7F1-955E-4B60-AB56-4567A1DFA5F1.jpeg

C22F3A30-6E3D-4D5A-99CC-FA0C3911E239.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom