Serp Belt Pulley Squeak on Start up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know change and removal are in FAQ, i just read it. My question is when? Ive got 140k on engine. On start up after the truck has sit for multiple days/weeks i will get the squeak, goes away after a few sec.
Ive never changed pulleys or belts, that would be a new one for me. Is this something i should be concerned about now, will the squeak get worse and then leave me stranded? I need to do timing belt soon too.
Thanks,
Casey

Last edited:
Squeals never get better on their own. But given the frequency, I think you should just replace it when you do your timing kit. It's only like $40 at the dealer.

check idler pulley, serp tensioner, these might be contributing as well.

Change the belt first, if the squeak continues, then change out the tensioner, that should stop the noise. The latter is much more difficult to do, belt is easy.

Change the belt first, if the squeak continues, then change out the tensioner, that should stop the noise. The latter is much more difficult to do, belt is easy.
It is only squeaking a little then clears up, and sometimes not at all. Would it be a safe call to just wait till it gets worse then dive into fixing? Im sure it will get worse, i just wish i knew how long i had. Been reading up and im sure i can tackle it when i need to.

Belt squeaks are more of an annoyance than anything detrimental. Unless one of your pulley has seized and it's just dragging over it instead of spinning it. Should be okay, my cars' belts squeaks in the morning too when it's cold.

Belt squeaks are more of an annoyance than anything detrimental. Unless one of your pulley has seized and it's just dragging over it instead of spinning it. Should be okay, my cars' belts squeaks in the morning too when it's cold.
Right on man. 10-4. Wait and keep an eye on it for now, see if it gets worse.

@Porter @FxFormat
I pulled the belt off the tension pulley this am. The tension pulley still has solid tension on it(i didnt spin that pulley) I spun the idle pulley and it spun but it was wasnt smooth, there was a noise there but it still spun. Here are my questions:
1. How big of a pain is it to re-route the belt once i completly pull it off, i see diagram, just wondering how big of a pain it is.
2. Im assuming that idle pulley has a dry bearing in it, that one looks like its just pull and replace, not much to it.
3. The tension pulley looks the same, assuming the tension part is good, i should only need to replace the pulley right?
4. Would yall do both pulleys and belt at same time or just replace belt and idle pulley?
I have attached a pic so yall can verify im not a complete idiot. Ive done spark plugs on this engine so this should be easier right? Would you pull the mass air stuff to access pulleys?

20190203_112106.jpg

I'd replace everything while in there if you were gonna do it. Replacing the belt is a pretty simple task, just remove the intake piping to get easier access to the belt. Might be easier to seat the belt onto the crank pulley from underneath if you already have your skid plate off.

I had the same squeak on start up. Removed the serpentine belt and gave the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley a good spin. The idler pulley sounded dry. Installed new idler pulley and a new serpentine belt. Squeak is gone.
NOTE the old idler pulley would spin longer than the new idler pulley. Bearings were tight on the old pulley but they sounded dry. I did read some posts on here about replacing just the bearings and reusing the pulley. Another post said that you can oil the bearing as a short term fix.

I had the same squeak on start up. Removed the serpentine belt and gave the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley a good spin. The idler pulley sounded dry. Installed new idler pulley and a new serpentine belt. Squeak is gone.
NOTE the old idler pulley would spin longer than the new idler pulley. Bearings were tight on the old pulley but they sounded dry. I did read some posts on here about replacing just the bearings and reusing the pulley. Another post said that you can oil the bearing as a short term fix.
I just took the belt off again so i could go ahead and check the tension pulley, that pulley felt great, rolled smooth. Rolled the idle pulley again and its not near as smooth but still rolls. My belt looks great! I think i might just do idle pulley see if that helps the situation. I dont have a press so i think i will have to just buy the pulley wheel with new bearings. How much did that idle pulley run you?

Just replaced the tensioner pulley and idler pulley and belt yesterday on mine after having squeaking for a few weeks. Took 15 minutes. Super easy. I didn't replace the tensioner itself as it still felt strong and requires more parts removal. Tensioner pulley bolt is reverse threaded FYI.

I had a little noise up front at start. My fan bracket seized up soon after, snapping my serpentine belt on the freeway. The tensioner is easier, but you might check the fan bracket also if you have the fan off.

I had a little noise up front at start. My fan bracket seized up soon after, snapping my serpentine belt on the freeway. The tensioner is easier, but you might check the fan bracket also if you have the fan off.

What would you expect to find with the fan bracket? I have this noise and just had a mechanic check all the idlers/fan bracket etc 3k mi ago.

@J1000 changed my idler pulley and still get a squeak at start up. Don't know whether to spring for a belt next or pulley on the tensioner? My tension pulley still has great tension and the pulley spins freely. When you changed yours does the pulley come off just like the idler pulley? I don't think I need to changed the whole unit, just pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom