Sequoia vs LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Imagine a vehicle with the 50s electronic technology and 2022 mechanical quality and production capability. It would run for 200 years

Not to that extreme, but doesn't that describe the whole line of cruisers?

Props to us here that see the value of long term quality, but most have been trained to be a throw-away-society of consumers.

Props to us here that see the value of long term quality, but most have been trained to be a throw-away-society of consumers.

If you took out all the ECUs and turned them into mechanical systems again, the truck would weigh 10,000 lbs LOL

Glad to see you show up.

My only real sadness is that we are being forced into "solutions" that are not real solutions.
With our lovely governments steering the boat of heavy industry.

Meanwhile, no nuclear power... But buy an EV?
They think were dumb, and most people are.
Oh they are solutions alright... for the problems of public control and subjugation. Just a little bit longer until central bank digital currency is fully implemented, and then the enslavement will be complete.

More nuclear power is exactly what we need, but the public have been brainwashed with fear and doubt, so it's not going to happen any time soon.

That's why I like the 200 series: it's a wonderful middle-ground between modern tech, mechanical robustness, quality production, capability, and repair/modification accessibility.

Older vehicles frequently lack the "minimum" tech (for my wants/needs), while newer vehicles are excessively unmaintainable and unaccessible. The 200 hits the spot. If only I could have a few more...

I wanted to also add that I’m not upset about complexity in general, we owe a lot to complexity and technology when it comes to safety for example. Even mechanical safety sensors and controls. IE limp mode exists to spare things.

Does every online discussion have turn down the path paranoia and of command and control conspiracy. I pity those who frame everything in these terms. What a miserable way to live.
Ignorance is bliss, and the ignorant are more than happy to give up everything for another ounce of perceived convenience. When your grandchildren have no option but to rent the spoons they eat with, think back to these discussions and "conspiracies."

Last edited:
Does every online discussion have turn down the path paranoia and of command and control conspiracy. I pity those who frame everything in these terms. What a miserable way to live.

@eatSleepWoof lives rather well actually lol

Ignorance is bliss, and the ignorant and more than happy to give up everything for another ounce of perceived convenience. When your grandchildren have no option but to rent the spoons they eat with, think back to these discussions and "conspiracies."
Yep here we go.....

Last edited:
If I didn't have an LX, I'd want a Land Cruiser (honestly, I'd be relatively indifferent between the two).
If I could have those, I'd probably get a Tundra...then a Sequoia.
If I couldn't have a Sequoia, I'd probably get a 4runner.
If I couldn't have a 4runner, I'd find myself in a Highlander...then a RAV4
...and If I couldn't have a RAV4, then and only then you'd find me in a Prius. :p

I’m looking forward to see what Lexus does with the GX and TLX

If this doesn't stay somewhat related to 200-series tech it will get wiped, and I'm totally fine with that.

To circle back, I still think the 2nd gen Sequoia is a real sleeper. Like a stripped down SR5 Cruiser with more space. Not necessarily built with with a 25-year service life in mind like a 200 series, but still extremely robust. Once again, a 15-year-old Toyota design that is still extremely reliable and refuses to die.

The Sequoia will have a tough time with that compromised 3rd row folding seat. If I want a compromised Toyota product I'll wait for a used 300 LX. If I want something in the Sequoia's price range new I'd rather have a Tahoe.
Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 12.12.10 PM.png

I don't mind these turbo engines if they're fitted to large enough displacement motors. The 2.0 liter 4 cylinder in my mother's GLE350 feels downright dangerous merging from a stop in traffic. It needs to be in sport mode for any modicum of safety. That being said she gets 30 mpg + on the highway cruising 70+ which is incredible for a mid size SUV.

For something like a 300 I think a 4 liter turbo v6 would have been the sweet spot.

Big displacement or turbo it always helps if the car is light. My C6 Z06 got 30-31 mpg on the highway with an extremely long 6th gear and 7 liter engine. The 4.0 V8 in the M3 just swills fuel no matter what you're doing, I think that motor is ill suited to such a heavy application but it only appears there so that's your only choice. The turbo 3 liter is definitely a huge improvement in efficiency. And in the G80 it has character and so much speed.

The Sequoia is currently only available in a hybrid so the lack of flat floor is due to battery space. It's not a design flaw, it's a fact of life in the Hybrid era.

LX 600 does have a nice flat floor. Though those seats have to go somewhere. Just more space (for now) with no battery pack. I wonder what this is like on the base 2-row LX600.

1670347644466.png

Compared to the 570 you can see the elevated floor, though this is somewhat of a difficult comparison with the lack of drop down tailgate on the 600. The 570, obviously, consumes that space vertically, unless you opt for a 2-row.

1670347874204.png

The EV's do have a problem to overcome in the off-highway world. Those torquey electric motors can't feather force at zero wheel RPM like a torque converter or manual clutch. So things like climbing a rock obstacle or shelf are hard for them to do. Either need to add some type of clutch pack at each corner motor or use a conventional drive train behind a large electric motor à la Jeep 4xE.

This is definitely something that is an ongoing challenge for EVs, and would be a deal breaker for control off-road.

To your point, the latest Hummer EV test in Moab leaves a lot to be desired.

The Sequoia is currently only available in a hybrid so the lack of flat floor is due to battery space. It's not a design flaw, it's a fact of life in the Hybrid era.

Well of course it is not a flaw since it was an intentional design decision. But like the Tundra they could have optioned the hybrid to certain models. I think that is what most folks are disappointed about. Hybrid delete + 3rd Row delete and I would have ordered one. Instead I keep my 21.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom