Sequoia vs LC (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This may have entered the equation of the LCs being full time for loads on the diff? 9.5" makes sense for rear axle clearance for the LCs mission.

That's a great point. I've only been considering center diff strength, but you're absolutely right the need for full-time 4wd may be because of the strength of the rear and not the center.

I drove my rig with just the rear driveshaft while diagnosing the drivetrain noise that ended up being a rear hub bearing.. IMO AWD on our platform is as much a safety consideration in the dry as anything. With the power we have, higher CoG, and the short wheelbase, it was squirrely as hell. The longer wheelbase of a sequoia would solve this problem, I believe.

Do we know what size rear diff the new sequoia has? The old 10” vs 10.5 could have been for IRS packaging or other parts supply reasons.

And in this conversation about frequent or infrequent usage we may want to be more distinct about full vs part time. In mixed conditions and from a “set it and forget it” perspective full-time/AWD/Center diff is clearly superior.

That would be true if they didn't have complicated computers controlling them. Welders are also electric. Most of the new ones have control boards. They do not last near as long as the old ones with dedicated mechanical switches. The same principles will apply to electric cars. If they didn't have all the modes controlled by computers they could be very simple. The other thing is there is a lot of things to fail battery wise. One solder joint could throw off a whole battery pack. I'm not anti-EV. I just don't see them as being a simpler solution than the current cars that are also tech heavy.
What I was trying to say is that EVs are simpelier than modern ICEs due to face both have complex electronics but an EV is very simple mechanically. Also have less systems to fail: no lubrication system, no cooling system, no transmission.

Hopefully makers design EVs that allow for simple CPU/MPU swaps, as they will fail.

A computer swap out in my model S took <30 min and two tools.

The EV's do have a problem to overcome in the off-highway world. Those torquey electric motors can't feather force at zero wheel RPM like a torque converter or manual clutch. So things like climbing a rock obstacle or shelf are hard for them to do. Either need to add some type of clutch pack at each corner motor or use a conventional drive train behind a large electric motor à la Jeep 4xE.

The diff size had nothing to do with the fulltime 4wd. In other markets they got part time 4wd (rear wheel drive most time) with the same diffs.

The 200 came with a PT transfer case in other markets?

Not saying they don't, just have never seen a 2Hi-4Hi-4Lo switch nor a manual lever with 2Hi on it for the 200.

What I was trying to say is that EVs are simpelier than modern ICEs due to face both have complex electronics but an EV is very simple mechanically. Also have less systems to fail: no lubrication system, no cooling system, no transmission.

Hopefully makers design EVs that allow for simple CPU/MPU swaps, as they will fail.

A computer swap out in my model S took <30 min and two tools.
I'm pretty sure Teslas have both brake fluid and some sort of coolant.

I'm not sure the 200 did. You might be right on that.

i got curious and did some digging into the parts diagrams. Every 200 I can find, in every market, even down to the 4.0 v6 manual transmission, had an electrically shifted transfer case with a center differential.

I actually thought there were part-time cruisers too, but now that I think about it there are no manual hubs or ADD front diffs.

Even if there were part-time 200s, the case can be made that the towing demands are greater in the US than any other market, and high speed towing can have a large emphasis on design decisions like differential size.

The other frequent maintenance item is to lubricate the brake pins. Range is very sensitive to brake drag. Which we're probably also affected by to the same degree, but it's a relative drop in the bucket.

They do for battery temp management, not cabin climate. There is no traditional heater core. It's not antifreeze and is is a supposed "lifetime" item. There have been some reports of leaks but it's rare. My buddy just rolled 125k on his original brake pads on his Model S. With regen they last much much longer.

The whole "new vehicles have computers and computers are unreliable" thing is such a weird concern. Maybe it's because I'm an avocado-toast eating millennial 🤷‍♂️

The whole "new vehicles have computers and computers are unreliable" thing is such a weird concern. Maybe it's because I'm an avocado-toast eating millennial 🤷‍♂️

People that spent decades working on vehicles solely with wrenches and hammers didn't understand them at first, leading to that perception. IMO.

Not that there haven't been issues. Many ECMs out of the 80s and 90s had capacitors that would leak and nuke the PCB. I rehabbed a few mitsubishi and toyota versions myself. Can't say this has been a concern for 20 years though..

They do for battery temp management, not cabin climate. There is no traditional heater core. It's not antifreeze and is is a supposed "lifetime" item. There have been some reports of leaks but it's rare. My buddy just rolled 125k on his original brake pads on his Model S. With regen they last much much longer.

I wasn't being pedantic as I am not versed in the EV segment beyond what people have told me of their experiences and wanted to share. Even with the solid brake performance, the fluid should still be changed IMHO as its performance still degrades over time. As great as people say their Tesla's are, I am sure they wouldn't appreciate that mass not stopping as it should given poor brake fluid PM. I also have doubts that the coolant they use is indeed "lifetime" but very may well be given the expected battery life.

If I was concerned about computers in my car, I'd be in a 60 or older LC. The 200 has several I am sure to provide all of the modern amenities it does.

I wasn't being pedantic as I am not versed in the EV segment beyond what people have told me of their experiences and wanted to share. Even with the solid brake performance, the fluid should still be changed IMHO as its performance still degrades over time. As great as people say their Tesla's are, I am sure they wouldn't appreciate that mass not stopping as it should given poor brake fluid PM. I also have doubts that the coolant they use is indeed "lifetime" but very may well be given the expected battery life.

If I was concerned about computers in my car, I'd be in a 60 or older LC. The 200 has several I am sure to provide all of the modern amenities it does.

Also not being pedantic 👍 Agree with you on brake degradation—it's just on a BEV with heavy regen it's less noticeable. And just because Tesla doesn't have a service interval for the fluid it doesn't mean you should let it go.

FWIW transmission fluid in our rigs is also "lifetime" which is ridiculous.

I tend to agree with @coleAK in regard to long term prospects of electronics. Solid state was once sold as superior and forever. They do have specific lifetimes due to things like what @bloc said with capacitors, but also lower level electromigration affects. Higher power and lower physical feature size optimization only exacerbate this. Mechanical systems are more easily reproduced and fixed later, but the highly integrated and miniaturized ICs...good luck.

The diff size had nothing to do with the fulltime 4wd. In other markets they got part time 4wd (rear wheel drive most time) with the same diffs.

I respectfully disagree. The pressure and heat loads on modern differentials is higher than ever with increasing engine outputs. Especially against towing and heavy constant loads. It's why the Tundra, with otherwise generally the same drivetrain uses such a large 10.5" differential with the 5.7L engine. Earlier Tundras had smaller 4.6L engine option, and those would only be fitted with a 9.5" diff similar to ours.

Which reminds me to service my diff fluid. I haven't checked the fluid after re-gearing and re-building, and have had some long heavy tows trips at over 15klbs on 35s. Makes me wonder if the diff is up to the job and my lead foot. So far so good, but probably worth a flush as diffs can get really hot in heavily loaded use cases.

I tend to agree with @coleAK in regard to long term prospects of electronics. Solid state was once sold as superior and forever. They do have specific lifetimes due to things like what @bloc said with capacitors, but also lower level electromigration affects. Higher power and lower physical feature size optimization only exacerbate this. Mechanical systems are more easily reproduced and fixed later, but the highly integrated and miniaturized ICs...good luck.

I respectfully disagree. The pressure and heat loads on modern differentials is higher than ever with increasing engine outputs. Especially against towing and heavy constant loads. It's why the Tundra, with otherwise generally the same drivetrain uses such a large 10.5" differential with the 5.7L engine. Earlier Tundras had smaller 4.6L engine option, and those would only be fitted with a 9.5" diff similar to ours.

Which reminds me to service my diff fluid. I haven't checked the fluid after re-gearing and re-building, and have had some long heavy tows trips at over 15klbs on 35s. Makes me wonder if the diff is up to the job and my lead foot. So far so good, but probably worth a flush as diffs can get really hot in heavily loaded use cases.

Q:
Is the gearing or overall size more important in regards to temp?
Does anyone offer finned diff covers?

Last edited:
If anyone is into the vintage computing or hifi genre there's great capability for even modest users in rehabbing old components. Very common to see 'recapped' machines. The original capacitors often lasted several decades and the new components make them almost new. The kiss of death is really UV (plastic degradation), bad power supplies, or broken mechanical bits (keys, switches).

Point being, the change to electronics isn't bad it's just different. Different skillset to diagnose and fix. The dealer route will continue to be expensive. There will be entrepreneur types who will develop cottage industries providing cost-effective repairs for common failure points. Really no different than today.

If anyone is into the vintage computing or hifi genre there's great capability for even modest users in rehabbing old components. Very common to see 'recapped' machines. The original capacitors often lasted several decades and the new components make them almost new. The kiss of death is really UV (plastic degradation), bad power supplies, or broken mechanical bits (keys, switches).

Point being, the change to electronics isn't bad it's just different. Different skillset to diagnose and fix. The dealer route will continue to be expensive. There will be entrepreneur types who will develop cottage industries providing cost-effective repairs for common failure points. Really no different than today.

Haha, yes, thats what you need to do to rehab a PS3.
The caps blow on most the older consoles.

I'm leery of the new computers. I'm definitely not wanting to go back to carbs and points. I had a 22 Tundra that gave me nightmares with all the issues it had that were all computer controlled items. The problem was, when one item failed it went into limp mode. Limp mode sucks. I don't need or want louvers that open and close in my grill. I don't need an automatic air dam that goes up and down. The other thing is the quality of the components used on the Tundra was not the quality I had grown to expect from owning Land Cruisers for the past 4 decades. The other thing I didn't like about the 22 Tundra is that Toyota was monitoring my every move. They could tell me when I was braking hard or accelerating hard. They could tell me how many mpgs I got on each trip. I didn't like that at all. And I'm anti gasoline turbo now too. Our 80mph speed limit did not like the turbos. Once the turbos kicked in mpgs dwindled. Less than 200 series mpgs. I have a hard time thinking that all these new great computerized systems really improved anything.

That's not the turbo causing the drop in MPG, it's physics of drag. Heat engines are heat engines. Turbos don't result in inefficiency at speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom