Sequoia vs LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

* Full-time 4wd.

That the Prado and Land Cruiser have a true (and robust) center differential is what separates their capability from the crowd. Well, that and ATRAC. I'd love to get a new Sequoia for my wife. Bigger, better fuel eco, better tech, captains chairs in center row, etc. But with as much snow as we have, the security of full-time 4wd isn't something I'm willing to compromise on. Expecting my wife to put it into and out of 4wd in changing conditions isn't reasonable, especially with managing 3 kiddos. Not to mention the increased turning circle when in parking lots in 4wd.

The TRD edition Sequoia should take the center diff from the 300. That would be a game changer.
To be clear, Tundra and Sequoia have ATRAC as well. I wish I could put the Sequoia TC in my Tundra. I’d leave it in unlocked 4Hi pretty much all the time like my LX. But that option died in 2014 with the switch to a B-W TC in the Tundra.

1000% Agreed. I can't expect my wife to handle the 4 kids while making sure the 4WD is engaged. For that reason, I can't see a path from her current Sienna AWD to a Sequoia, not that I'm in a big hurry to spend ~$70K.
And this is why Chevy Tahoes and Ford Expedition will eat Sequoia for breakfast, lunch, and supper….

I drove a 2022 Tundra rental. Not a fan. Drove like a boat and interior material quality and fit and finish was nowhere near a Japanese made Cruiser.

V6 was powerful but raspy and unrefined.

Do you remember which trim? There's a difference between the SR5 and the Platinum. I sat in an SR5 at the auto show and it was very much plastic. However, I sold some furniture to a guy that happened to be a local Toyota dealer F&I guy and his was very nice.

The TRD edition Sequoia should take the center diff from the 300. That would be a game changer.

100% speculation here but I wonder whether they went part-time because the drivetrain couldn’t reliably handle the torque of that hybrid on paved roads. And why the new LX didn’t get hybrid..

Did the 600 get hybrid in any market?

g wagons (and e classes) with the NA 5L run forever. I had one for 10 years, know a bunch of people with them, really no issues. Now the AMGs (which most of them are) have issues but not the non-turbo version.

To clarify, I was specifically talking about the peasant blocker edition. We all know the non-AMG drivetrains are pretty stout particularly the earlier M113 examples.

100% speculation here but I wonder whether they went part-time because the drivetrain couldn’t reliably handle the torque of that hybrid on paved roads. And why the new LX didn’t get hybrid..

Did the 600 get hybrid in any market?

Could be. But I would think a fixed transfer case would be more prone to breakage than a center diff. 479 on the torque in the LX 600.

Could be. But I would think a fixed transfer case would be more prone to breakage than a center diff. 479 on the torque in the LX 600.
A fixed TC would be sending torque to two wheels on pavement the vast majority of the time. So it would just spin the tires, which would limit the torque the drivetrain sees.

I just couldn’t come up with another reason they’d drop a feature that is as important to so many people as full-time 4wd.

All of these vehicles listed including the non Toyotas are family vehicles. They get used really hard by the 1st and 2nd owners and miles go on fairly quick. As vehicles age, no matter the mileage it gets harder and harder to meet the high mileage goal of this list. However, I think the next generation of vehicles with all of the technology and turbos will have a more difficult time meeting these goals. There is just more to break as they are more complicated. And the breaks will be more expensive. I see that many new vehicles, not just Toyotas, will be impossible to keep on the road for 20 years due to the expense of the repairs. They are complex machines.

Why would they drop full time 4wd? Mileage.

All of these vehicles listed including the non Toyotas are family vehicles. They get used really hard by the 1st and 2nd owners and miles go on fairly quick. As vehicles age, no matter the mileage it gets harder and harder to meet the high mileage goal of this list. However, I think the next generation of vehicles with all of the technology and turbos will have a more difficult time meeting these goals. There is just more to break as they are more complicated. And the breaks will be more expensive. I see that many new vehicles, not just Toyotas, will be impossible to keep on the road for 20 years due to the expense of the repairs. They are complex machines.
Not applicable EVs, mechanically very simple and electric motors run forever.

A fixed TC would be sending torque to two wheels on pavement the vast majority of the time. So it would just spin the tires, which would limit the torque the drivetrain sees.

I just couldn’t come up with another reason they’d drop a feature that is as important to so many people as full-time 4wd.

It also binds in corners. So any increase in torque would have to be relieved by wheel slip. Or component failure. A center diff wouldn't increase force to any component, it just relieves differently.

The two reasons I think of are: cost and fuel econ. Most 4wd vehicles are in 4wd only a few times per year, if ever. The value add for the 90% of Sequoia owners isn't there. A transfer case is a more simple mechanical device which should have lower production cost. Similarly, a part-time 4wd setup will have better fuel economy, helping the CAFE numbers.

It also binds in corners. So any increase in torque would have to be relieved by wheel slip. Or component failure. A center diff wouldn't increase force to any component, it just relieves differently.

The two reasons I think of are: cost and fuel econ. Most 4wd vehicles are in 4wd only a few times per year, if ever. The value add for the 90% of Sequoia owners isn't there. A transfer case is a more simple mechanical device which should have lower production cost. Similarly, a part-time 4wd setup will have better fuel economy, helping the CAFE numbers.
Decent points, but if you want to actually save fuel you need a disconnecting front diff, and that adds cost and complexity.

I haven't opened a late model transfer case but the difference between part and full-time 4wd can, in theory, be really minor. Replace the center diff with a spool, then what in the full-time case is the CDL can act as the FWD actuator. This is why making an 80 or 100 part-time is so simple.

Perhaps ironically the part-time case needs the additional machining and parts for a synchro to spin up the front driveline when actuated while moving. I'm not sure that they did it and too lazy at the moment to dig into the tundra parts diagrams, but I know for a fact toyota did this on the case in JDM 1KZ-TE hilux surfs at least, allowing engagement of 4wd below 30mph IIRC. That's the drivetrain I swapped into a 4runner years ago.

Either way, there must be a practical limit to how much torque this drivetrain can handle while maintaining toyota's long-term reliability standards, and approaching 600ft-lbf at the crank is a lot.

Great points all around.

The diff sizes differ between these models. I don't have the latest info on the new gen Tundra, Sequoia, and LX600. At least for the prior gens, LC, Sequoia, Tundra, had 9.5", 10", and 10.5" rear diffs respectively. This may have entered the equation of the LCs being full time for loads on the diff? 9.5" makes sense for rear axle clearance for the LCs mission.

. Most 4wd vehicles are in 4wd only a few times per year, if ever.
I disagree. Anyone that lives in an area with winter most will leave their trucks in 4wd for weeks or months at a time. Now in the banana belt yes most will never see 4wd.

Aside from the short time I spent in FL, I haven’t lived anywhere else that I would own a part time 4wd vehicle due to winter.

Last edited:
Not applicable EVs, mechanically very simple and electric motors run forever.
That would be true if they didn't have complicated computers controlling them. Welders are also electric. Most of the new ones have control boards. They do not last near as long as the old ones with dedicated mechanical switches. The same principles will apply to electric cars. If they didn't have all the modes controlled by computers they could be very simple. The other thing is there is a lot of things to fail battery wise. One solder joint could throw off a whole battery pack. I'm not anti-EV. I just don't see them as being a simpler solution than the current cars that are also tech heavy.

Decent points, but if you want to actually save fuel you need a disconnecting front diff, and that adds cost and complexity.

I haven't opened a late model transfer case but the difference between part and full-time 4wd can, in theory, be really minor. Replace the center diff with a spool, then what in the full-time case is the CDL can act as the FWD actuator. This is why making an 80 or 100 part-time is so simple.

Perhaps ironically the part-time case needs the additional machining and parts for a synchro to spin up the front driveline when actuated while moving. I'm not sure that they did it and too lazy at the moment to dig into the tundra parts diagrams, but I know for a fact toyota did this on the case in JDM 1KZ-TE hilux surfs at least, allowing engagement of 4wd below 30mph IIRC. That's the drivetrain I swapped into a 4runner years ago.

Either way, there must be a practical limit to how much torque this drivetrain can handle while maintaining toyota's long-term reliability standards, and approaching 600ft-lbf at the crank is a lot.

You may be onto something. The chain in the center diff may be out of bounds at 600 lb-ft. But with everything going hybrid I can't believe the 300 didn't design for that capability in mind. I would think that would really limit the potential for the 300 platform, at least with respect to the winds of political regulations.

I disagree. Anyone that lives in an area with winter most will leave their trucks in 4wd for weeks or months at a time. Now in the banana belt yes most will never see 4wd.

Aside from the short time I spent in FL, I haven’t lived anywhere else that I would own a part time 4wd vehicle due to winter.
The average California buyer will use 4wd a few times when taking winter vacations in Tahoe. Same with the guy in Ohio who is in 4wd during storms and 2wd the rest of the time. I'm about to head up to the mountain to ski this afternoon. The road will be dry/bare in the sun and packed/ice in the shade. 60 mph corners on bare won't be kind on conventional 4wd.

My assumption is the 90% of Sequoia buyers who opt for 4wd won't use it much. They'll buy for the occasional need or just want to have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom