Selling My ‘97 40th Anniversary - thoughts/opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering selling my 1997 80 Series. It is a 40th anniversary model in Desert Sage. It currently has 273,000 miles. I’ll be upgrading to something with more modern conveniences. Here’s my question - the 80 series has a few issues. Should I repair the rear main seal before I sell it? Current estimate is about $1800 from my mechanic. Additionally, the birfield joints could use some love. Is there a market for trucks that need these kinds of repairs, and what should I expect to get for it here in No. California?

It won't give you any additional ROI if you fix either unless your target is someone that doesn't do their own wrenching.

If you are shooting for high prices, then yes. If you are looking to get out of it in a hurry, then no.

I agree with both of the above answers; however, I'd like to know how bad the leaks are. If it drips oil onto the ground, that will give me pause. If the leak isn't that bad, then I'd say you're fine for 99% of people looking to buy a cruiser.

Park the 80 in the garage, buy the vehicle you plan to replace it with, drive it for a while to be sure before selling the 80. It seems like a read a lot of "I regret selling my 80" stories around here.

But to answer your question I wouldn't worry about things like a rear main seal leak or birfields that need serviced. I'd focus on getting the rig as clean as possible and running as smoothly as possible. Have a friend who isn't a cruiser head come over as a trial run of looking it over and test driving like they are buying it so they can point out anything that you might miss.

I might be an outlier but I'd rather sell a cruiser to a fellow enthusiast who will take good care of it, even if I don't get the absolute top dollar. My nightmare buyer would be some wannabe overland bro who covers the thing in stickers and maxtracks for instagram posts.

UGH! Max tracks. YIKES! Instagram. I carry kitty litter for slippery situations and can’t even get on instagram Without loosing 45 minutes of my life. Good luck with the sale. Go as-is.

You have $1500 on the barrel head here. 👍
(inflation an' all)

Park the 80 in the garage, buy the vehicle you plan to replace it with, drive it for a while to be sure before selling the 80. It seems like a read a lot of "I regret selling my 80" stories around here.

But to answer your question I wouldn't worry about things like a rear main seal leak or birfields that need serviced. I'd focus on getting the rig as clean as possible and running as smoothly as possible. Have a friend who isn't a cruiser head come over as a trial run of looking it over and test driving like they are buying it so they can point out anything that you might miss.

I might be an outlier but I'd rather sell a cruiser to a fellow enthusiast who will take good care of it, even if I don't get the absolute top dollar. My nightmare buyer would be some wannabe overland bro who covers the thing in stickers and maxtracks for instagram posts.
Good ideas! Thanks. I’ve sort of had the same thought about keeping the 80 for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom