Seized Brakes of the FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday morning I took the FJC to Warrenton Toyota to have the oil change done and had a few things looked at. I suspected a wheel bearing, cheap fix, but they told me both my left side calipers were seized. I figured if I'm replacing them I should upgrade them. Any recommendations? I was looking into Power Stop for the rotors/pads on all four corners. What about calipers?

Price out the Napa Eclipse remans too. I put these on my 80 and they were a Toyota casting. Nicely painted black too. For the rotors I would go oem or a known quality aftermarket alternative. I got Brembo rotors for the 80 on Amazon for $50 each. No drilled or slotted though.

TRD pads are a solid choice! I'm loving them on the LC

Price out the Napa Eclipse remans too. I put these on my 80 and they were a Toyota casting. Nicely painted black too. For the rotors I would go oem or a known quality aftermarket alternative. I got Brembo rotors for the 80 on Amazon for $50 each. No drilled or slotted though.
I should clarify: when I said stick with OEM calipers, I meant there is no need to go with a performance caliper. Remans from NAPA are a solid choice, as @iptman stated, or even Cardone from AutoZone/Pepboys/Advance work as well. Though, I did have a reman from not NAPA leak between the 2 halves once.

Quick update, yesterday I got the FJ put back together (got the PITA caliper bolt out). Took it for a test drive into town, there’s a lot of air in the lines, so I’ll have to bleed them again. Now my big issue is that all the brake related system lights are lit up on the dash (parking brake, abs, a-trac, vsc, etc.), hoping bleeding the system will fix this. Really don’t want to have to take it to Toyota.
D9DDBDBF-CCC0-44F7-8824-3CB24BCD56E9.jpeg
A19CE7C2-CC6A-4BA6-8A99-B4BD8C2060F5.jpeg
AD1E053C-9E89-4D9C-BFEA-B794D1CC16E9.jpeg
EFEFB5E7-4251-440D-A9EE-66EC79B9268E.jpeg

With all those lights lit up you sure it isn't something electrical? Maybe an ABS sensor didn't get plugged back in fully or a fuse? I assume you made sure the brake fluid was topped up?

The accumulator needs to be bled most likely. Or if the master went dry you'll have to bleed the ABS unit. More than likely your'e gonna need tech stream to get it straightened out.

How is a mechanic in the backwoods of Myanmar supposed to fix this stuff?

Most important part is how you ended up getting the bolt out.
Turned the wheel and tried again with the breaker bar and extractor after soaking it in CRC Freeze All overnight. I’m sold on that stuff now, @davesax36[/QUOTE]

Ironically enough I just did both sides of my 2007 FJ Cruiser about 3-4 months ago. I'm pretty sure I capped my line so it didn't bleed dry. Sorry to hear about the issues. Mine only one side of my pistons were functional on both sides.

So I found the issue with the FJC. Tore a section of the rear abs/vsc harness while off-roading... I’d like to thank my neighbor for letting me use his lift. Bought the new harness, will install this weekend. Keep you posted if that fixes it.

C7C0F67E-FE51-420B-9F54-1F42B8CFCCDB.jpeg

A450DD59-3688-4946-A226-BC6D1A73DA16.jpeg

That’s a nice neighbor.

Toyota’s motto for old trucks should be “Trust the rust” because I swear the FJC rear end is held together by the rust....

So I am a little disappointed with Toyota metal quality. I just wire brushed and painted my rear axle, frame welds, etc with POR-15. The rear axle housing was far worse than anything else; while only surface rust, I don't think it should have had any because the body is perfect with zero rust.

Not perfect. I didn't spend a ton of time prepping and I brushed it on. I'll let you know how it holds up. If I had a lift I could have done it way faster and probably better. Time flies so I wanted to knock it out and then I'll fluid film before winter is upon us.

IMG_20190831_162912.jpg

So good news, the new harness fixed it. Looking at the old harness, I can probably could have repaired it myself. Oh well, lesson learned. However there was one hiccup with the install, one of the metal tabs on the body that holds the brackets on the harness bent when I tried loosen the rusty bolt holding no them together. The metal was so flimsy due to rust, I’ll have to figured out how to make a new one and weld it back to the body. @OTRAMM and @Stumpalama, would either of you be willing to assist?

So good news, the new harness fixed it. Looking at the old harness, I can probably could have repaired it myself. Oh well, lesson learned. However there was one hiccup with the install, one of the metal tabs on the body that holds the brackets on the harness bent when I tried loosen the rusty bolt holding no them together. The metal was so flimsy due to rust, I’ll have to figured out how to make a new one and weld it back to the body. @OTRAMM and @Stumpalama, would either of you be willing to assist?
Bring it by, we can fab up a new tab and weld it on, no problem.

Bring it by, we can fab up a new tab and weld it on, no problem.
Ok, we'll have to work out a time to meet. My schedule is wacky to say the least, especially working closing shift. I normally have days off during the week, sometimes the occasional Friday-Saturday or Sunday/Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom