Secret Spot for Ham Radio Install Located! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not having ARB boxes in the back quite yet, I had to find another spot to mount my Yaesu FT-8900. It's not a big radio. And under the driver's seat, and inboard of the computer I found a nicely sized cavity. The radio slotted in there perfectly. I threaded the separation cable up through the a pillar panel and under the dash to get to the center console. It's mounted with hook-and-loop. But nevermind that...what a sweet little cranny for installing a radio!

PXL_20201206_000510249.jpg
PXL_20201206_020507578.jpg
PXL_20201206_000543515.jpg

Not having ARB boxes in the back quite yet, I had to find another spot to mount my Yaesu FT-8900. It's not a big radio. And under the driver's seat, and inboard of the computer I found a nicely sized cavity. The radio slotted in there perfectly. I threaded the separation cable up through the a pillar panel and under the dash to get to the center console. It's mounted with hook-and-loop. But nevermind that...what a sweet little cranny for installing a radio!

View attachment 2518965View attachment 2518967View attachment 2518966

What treasures did you find in there?

I ask because that is literally a “black hole...” where keys, phones, FOBs and any number of valuable items automacally get sucked into when you drop something as the driver. :bang: :hillbilly:

View attachment 2518965View attachment 2518967View attachment 2518966

Don’t forget that you’ll likely want an external speaker connected... ;)

Btw... My 400XDR requires a spear that can connect to both sides of the stereo jack in the box, or you only hear one of the two bands you’re monitoring. Might want to check if that unit is the same when thinking of external speakers if going that route.

What treasures did you find in there?

I ask because that is literally a “black hole...” where keys, phones, FOBs and any number of valuable items automacally get sucked into when you drop something as the driver. :bang: :hillbilly:

Funny you should ask. I found two Sacajawea dollar coins!. And some petrified french fries.

Funny you should ask. I found two Sacajawea dollar coins!. And some petrified french fries.

See??? lol
I knows black holes... :hillbilly:

Cool. I wonder if that are is big enough for the weboost...? Any concerns with cooling in an enclosed spot likely that? Looks like seat removal was required. Is that fairly easy?

Thing is, nothing ever comes back out of a black hole. Unless we are considering petrified fries and pristine skittles Hawking radiation..

This is great tech though. I had wondered about where to put a radio in the future, with no plans for drawers.

Cool. I wonder if that are is big enough for the weboost...? Any concerns with cooling in an enclosed spot likely that? Looks like seat removal was required. Is that fairly easy?
My WeBoost gets warm, not hot, but has no cooling fans. There are heat ducts and an ECU close by in that space. I wonder if it really needs the carpet over the top if no one ever uses the back seat with muddy boots?

Thing is, nothing ever comes back out of a black hole. Unless we are considering petrified fries and pristine skittles Hawking radiation..

This is great tech though. I had wondered about where to put a radio in the future, with no plans for drawers.

Yes on the Hawking radiation. But Stephen Hawking never considered the effects of seat removal... Brand new variable. :hillbilly:

Back on topic...
I do hope there is never a spill or water intrusion. Could be deadly to the radio in that lowest of interior low points...

Last edited:
Nice spot! I'm wondering if the LX570 has that space available or if it's occupied by the ML amp? @grinchy

Would make a good spot for the WeBoost as suggested earlier. The magnetic low profile antenna doesn't have a wire that will reach that position but the trucker antenna will.

I have the same exact radio, and the head unit part mounted in the same exact place. Very convenient.

There is probably 5“ by 12” by 2” with the stock ML amp. There are some hvac ducts toward the back. I’ve got a dsp/amp, two 4 channel micro amps, a couple distribution blocks, the RSE box, and so much cabling and a couple small fans in there without the ML amp.
I think it’s 9” by 15” by 3” if you don’t put in a mounting board.
i suggest putting some masking tape on the steering wheel rim. Seat rubs it pretty good going in and out.

265716B8-7C98-4423-AA4D-3A4E2EFE094B.jpeg

If you're in a snowy area I'd avoid putting anything electronic down low, if possible. The nav DVD on my Acura MDX was mounted under the driver's seat and the bottom of the case rusted. A bit of snow on your boots can melt and drip down in that area, even with weathertech mats or the like.

If you're in a snowy area I'd avoid putting anything electronic down low, if possible. The nav DVD on my Acura MDX was mounted under the driver's seat and the bottom of the case rusted. A bit of snow on your boots can melt and drip down in that area, even with weathertech mats or the like.
agree! best practice is a mounting board or spacers to get off the body. i did a board, stock amp uses standoff brackets.

IMG_0931-2.JPG

Nice spot. You’ll want to cut or at least fold back the carpet so the fan can do it’s job. It’s especially important during longer transmissions/conversations with a higher power setting.

Very easy. Four bolts. And three wiring clips. Super straightforward. The key to to be careful not to break plastic bits during R&I

Nice spot. You’ll want to cut or at least fold back the carpet so the fan can do it’s job. It’s especially important during longer transmissions/conversations with a higher power setting.

Agree on that ventillation. My use ends up in a low duty cycle. and I almost never go full power. I ended up lining the compartment with toolbox liner plastic.Then ziptied the radiodown to avoid rattle. I won't be doing any deep water fording and don't live in a snowy are...so I feel good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom