Seat Reupholstery SHOCKER ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took my stock front seats to an upholstery shop today for an estimate to recover them. The driver seat definitely needed some foam repairs. The estimate was $550 !!!I was shocked :eek:
Needless to say,the seats are back in my garage,waiting on other options. Any ideas out there ???
I had a friend bolt some seats out of a Dodge cargo van into his Jeep YJ. I wonder if these will work in an FJ40?

Keep an eye out on Ebay. There was a guy from somewhere in Oregon that used to sell nice seat foam and covers pretty reasonably compared to $OR, CCOT, etc. His e-mail was aatlas1x@aol.com. You may want shoot him an e-mail. I bought some new OEM stock FJ mirrrors from him and I was pleased with the price and service. Good luck. :D

Even $OR's kit is a fraction of what your shop offered. It is something you could do yourself.

I went through the same decision process with my seats. I ended up getting junkyard seats from an MR2 for $24 each. 10 times more comfortable than the stock seats and way cheaper than recovering them.

The same thing happened to me. Took them to a local shop and they wanted about $180 for each seat. I ended up buying the covers from $OR. They cost alot, but look brand new. Don't regret spending the money. If I had it to do over, I would probably found seats from another vehicle at the pick and pull.

or go racing seats like woodys and the like.

i stumbled apon a set of "racing" touring buckets, with more creature comforts than the hard plastic ones, and love them.

every time i go for a drive in my 40 now (not often) i don't want to get out. could alse be because the wings on the bottom cushion almost pin my thighs between the seat and the wheel :)

I bought the bottom foam and covers from SOR. $240 for the foams and around $200 for the covers. 4-5 hours of work. $550 does not sound all that bad but it depends on the quality of the covers and foam. I did this for my resto. My other 40 has the pick a part cheapo seats in it. TPI has a real nice aftm seat also.

Dave, SOR has aftermarket bottom foams for about $57 apiece for a '78. If he only needs the driver's side foam, he could do it all for $260 plus shipping.

keep looking, mine were redone by bearnut upholstery in albuquerque for $155, for both front seats

It's really not difficult to do yourself, and pretty satisfying. If you use wireties to cinch the new seat cover into position, crimping the hogrings is a piece of cake. No use paying out for such an easy job. Like David, I used the SOR seat bottom covers and foam on my FJ62, and couldn't be happier.

Bill

get you some nice bucket seats from a junkyard.

go leather, heated, lumbar, whatever you can find.

the fabwork to get them in (a little welding & bracketry) will be worth the effort.

i got mine out of a 2002 626, leather and lumbar/theigh adjustment on top of the regular tracks. $40

jonathan

Check other shops prices and also ask to see their work.. careful as some just wrap more foam over your old stuff and it looks new but isn't. If you pull your seats out it may effect the price too. Make sure you see the fabric or vinyl first too. I don't mind the stock seats but a lot of seats out of other vehicles are way more comfortable and if you do the fab work right they still look stock and can retain the stock adjustors. I had mine redone including the rear jump seats for $475 a couple of years ago but craftsmanship was somewhat lacking. I wasn't aware of the SOR option at that time, oh well.

Do it yourself. I love the stock seats, they look well... stock. A buddy of mine recovered/foamed all the seats in his '66 'Stang in a saturday by himself, and he has very little mechanical experience. (similar to 40 seats) I think the only special tool you need are hog ring pliers. If he could do it you can easily.
This is from an admitted semi purist so take that for what you will...

[quote author=Iron_Pig link=board=1;threadid=6371;start=msg51415#msg51415 date=1066273646]
I took my stock front seats to an upholstery shop today for an estimate to recover them. The driver seat definitely needed some foam repairs. The estimate was $550 !!!I was shocked :eek:
Needless to say,the seats are back in my garage,waiting on other options. Any ideas out there ???
I had a friend bolt some seats out of a Dodge cargo van into his Jeep YJ. I wonder if these will work in an FJ40?
[/quote]

Buy mine for $350 + shipping!!
grinpimp.gif

Came out of a '75 FJ40 http://home.off-road.com/~md11fr8dog/Seats/

$250,split the shipping,paint the bracketry and throw in the dog :D ;)

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=6371;start=msg52455#msg52455 date=1066538635]
I dig that RC LC in the pic. :D[/quote]

This one? 8)
IMG_1592%20(2).JPG

I'm thinkin an SOA deserves bigger tires. :doh: :D
:beer:

You mean like these all the way to the left?? :flipoff2:
Image112.jpg

Easier to move stuff around with the teeny tinies on!! 8)

[quote author=Iron_Pig link=board=1;threadid=6371;start=msg52462#msg52462 date=1066539914]
$250,split the shipping,paint the bracketry and throw in the dog :D ;)
[/quote]

don't go messing with my dog!! :flipoff2: ;)

I thought I had a buyer for the seats a couple weeks ago. Look for them on eBay in a couple weeks, when my leg gets better (tough to package for shipping on crutches!!)!! :-\

[quote author=MD11Fr8Dog link=board=1;threadid=6371;start=msg52463#msg52463 date=1066539968]
This one? 8)
IMG_1592%20(2).JPG

Looks like a MAF carrier knock-off. Got any suggestions? I'm in the middle of copying errrr designing one myself...

PS-I think that your transfer is in the wrong place. :flipoff2:
You freakin SOAs, always trying to be different. ;)
Nice sticker though.
Brog[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom